Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly I have searched on here for previous posts regarding this query to no avail.

I am an Australia Citizen about to head over to the UK to be an Au Pair for an unknown period. I also plan to find work afterwards. I have just got my British Passport and also hold an Australian Passport.

I have been told conflicting stories regarding visas, flights and proof of funds.

Do I still need a visa? Do I have to book a return flight prior to arrival? Will I need proof of funds?

Any advice will be great. Thanks!
:confused:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Firstly I have searched on here for previous posts regarding this query to no avail.

I am an Australia Citizen about to head over to the UK to be an Au Pair for an unknown period. I also plan to find work afterwards. I have just got my British Passport and also hold an Australian Passport.

I have been told conflicting stories regarding visas, flights and proof of funds.

Do I still need a visa? Do I have to book a return flight prior to arrival? Will I need proof of funds?

Any advice will be great. Thanks!
:confused:
Have you looked at the UK Border Agency website? UK Border Agency Visa Services Home Page
As it says, this is the official British Government website.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I had previosuly looked at that webpage but didn't find the answer I was looking for. But second time round and bingo.:clap2: FYI anyone else wondering.

I am a dual national and hold a British passport; can I apply for a visa?
No. Holders of British passports, including dual nationals, are not required to have a visa for the UK. A visa will normally impose certain conditions on an applicant's entry (including 'no work'). Entry Clearance and Immigration Officers have no powers to issue British nationals with a UK visa. The exception to this is if a dual national formally renounces their British citizenship.

A certificate of entitlement to the right of abode can be applied for and endorsed in the non British passport only when the person does not hold a valid British passport. ie an expired passport.

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
As you have found out, you have full right as British citizen to enter and leave UK at will, stay as long as you like and engage in any job, self-employment or business, just as you can back home in Australia as an Australian national.
There are a few requirements when starting work in UK (which applies to everyone, citizens and non-citizens alike) like getting your National Insurance number, but this is something you can do after getting a job, by making an appointment at the nearest Job Centre Plus. You will also be issued through your employer your PAYE tax code, which enables them to deduct the right amount of tax at source, and you may have to complete a form called P46, again supplied by your employer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.