Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this has been asked many times before :)

My wife is an Australian citizen and before we got married we applied for the Prospective Spouse Visa (outside Australia). It didn't arrive on time for our wedding date but upon advice from my case officer, I flew to Australia and we got married anyway and then had the visa changed to a temporary residents visa which hopefully all going to plan will be approved sometime between Dec 2013-Jan 2014.

At the moment I am in Australia but just on a tourist visa. My tourist visa (976) allows me multiple visits up to three months each. I have a couple of questions that perhaps one can help me with.

(1) In a few weeks I will be here for 3 months on this visit. Do I need to leave for any particular amount of time before coming back in?

(2) Also, my tourist visa expires in December. If the residence visa has not come through by that time, can I get another tourist visa by leaving the country and going to Asia, New Zealand etc or do I have to take a trek back to my home country in Europe?

One more thing, is there anyway that I can stay here on a bridging visa now that I'm married?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind regards,
Paul

G

·
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this has been asked many times before :)

My wife is an Australian citizen and before we got married we applied for the Prospective Spouse Visa (outside Australia). It didn't arrive on time for our wedding date but upon advice from my case officer, I flew to Australia and we got married anyway and then had the visa changed to a temporary residents visa which hopefully all going to plan will be approved sometime between Dec 2013-Jan 2014.

At the moment I am in Australia but just on a tourist visa. My tourist visa (976) allows me multiple visits up to three months each. I have a couple of questions that perhaps one can help me with.

(1) In a few weeks I will be here for 3 months on this visit. Do I need to leave for any particular amount of time before coming back in?

No time limit. Fly to NZ then back on the next flight if you want.

(2) Also, my tourist visa expires in December. If the residence visa has not come through by that time, can I get another tourist visa by leaving the country and going to Asia, New Zealand etc or do I have to take a trek back to my home country in Europe?

You can apply for a new tourist visa, probably best to apply for a longer one this time. Dont know why you didnt do that to begin with?

One more thing, is there anyway that I can stay here on a bridging visa now that I'm married?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind regards,
Paul
No bridging visa because you didnt apply onshore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I've been in Oz three times this year and my tourist visa is valid for a year (ending in Dec). I'll look into seeing if I can get a longer one next time though all going to plan a year should be more than enough. Thanks again for the help!

Kind Regards,
Paul

G

·
Ok, you could actually apply now onshore so you dont have to leave Australia and apply for 6 or 12 months so you dont have 3 month exits, but hopefully you wont need that long as the PMV will be granted.
If needed you could also apply for permission to work. Though if you do dont go overboard on why you need to work because you obviously need to show your spouse can support you for the PMV. You woukd still need to go offshore for the grant because they are the rules but if you could save money on one trip it would be good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts