Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I moved to the UK from Aus on an ancestry visa for work reasons in Sep 2013. My partner (non-dependant) stayed in Aus to finalise her studies. I am an Australian national with UK ancestry. She is an Indonesian national on an Australian student visa.

My questions are:

1. She would like to visit over Xmas during her study leave period and stay with me for two months. As she holds an Indonesian passport she needs to obtain a visa. I assume I just apply for a visitor visa and write a letter of sponsorship detailing our relationship etc? If anyone has advice on the best way to go about this it would be appreciated.

2. If a year or two down the track we decided to marry, how would I go about getting her added to my UK ancestry visa as a dependant? Is this something that can be done? On my current visa it clearly states I have 0 dependants.

Many thanks for your help.
Best regards
Ozzieboy

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Hi all

I moved to the UK from Aus on an ancestry visa for work reasons in Sep 2013. My partner (non-dependant) stayed in Aus to finalise her studies. I am an Australian national with UK ancestry. She is an Indonesian national on an Australian student visa.

My questions are:

1. She would like to visit over Xmas during her study leave period and stay with me for two months. As she holds an Indonesian passport she needs to obtain a visa. I assume I just apply for a visitor visa and write a letter of sponsorship detailing our relationship etc? If anyone has advice on the best way to go about this it would be appreciated.
There is a procedure for sponsoring a general visitor. See UK Border Agency | Sponsoring a general visitor. Apart from sponsorship, the most important thing is she has strong link in Australia or Indonesia. Her continuing studies would be one, but she needs an official letter from her university setting out the vacation period and when she is expected back. Also details of accommodation she will return to should be attached.

2. If a year or two down the track we decided to marry, how would I go about getting her added to my UK ancestry visa as a dependant? Is this something that can be done? On my current visa it clearly states I have 0 dependants.
She has to apply for dependant visa of ancestry visa holder in Australia or Indonesia. The key to success is genuine relationship (not marriage of convenience), no access to public funds (though she can work in UK) and suitable accommodation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Joppa

Thanks for the response.

On the first question:

We have a college letter and a lease agreement so both points you mention are covered.

In the sponsorship letter - should I go into detail about our relationship and include photos, time together etc? Not really sure what / how much detail is needed for a visitor visa.

On the second question:

When I applied for my ancestry visa I listed my marital status as single as we had only been together six months. Do I need to reapply for my ancestry visa if we were to marry? Or is it just her that needs to submit an application? It seems my visa status would change slightly and therefore I may also need to submit a new application as well.

Many thanks
Ozzieboy

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
It may be counterproductive to emphasise you are in a relationship, as they suspect she may be trying to overstay.

Just a change of marital status, so she can apply as your dependant on your existing visa. As I've said, she needs to meet the visa conditions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if we I dont emphasise we are in a relationship - would I just say she is my friend? As I need to say how we are connected I believe.

I would have thought honesty is the best policy as she has many good reasons to return including risk of breaching her student visa in Aus which would prevent her from finalising her education.

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
I'm not telling you to lie, but to emphasise that her stay is strictly for the duration of Christmas break and she will be returning to resume her studies. So don't give them any reasons to doubt her intentions. All I am saying is that by enclosing a lot of evidence about your relationship, it may give them false ideas about her real intentions. So just state she is your girlfriend, but only coming for a short visit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Joppa

Hoping you can help me out with one more thing on this.

The application form asks my girlfriend to select her marital status. We have only been together since feb 2013 so does that make her official status 'single' or 'unmarried partner'?

Also is it better she applies for a 'tourist' or 'visit friends' visa? The main purpose of her visit is to see me so I am assuming its visit friends.

Thanks
Ozzieboy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.