Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anyone spoken about the best internet providers here before?

I've just moved to an apartment in Melbourne and need to set up Broadband (short-term contract required to begin with).

Obviously, the pricing is slightly different - but wondered if anyone had any advice on which providers offer best service/most affordable etc.

From what I can tell, you pay quite a bit upfront including costs for the router, plus installation etc, and there are still download limits on services.

Can anyone offer advice/past experiences? Not sure if there is already a thread discussing this or not. If so, could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Josie

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
telstra, optus, iinet, dodo. Telstra being the most expensive adn the best service followed by optus then iinet adn DODO, not sure how TPG etc are but optus and Telstra do not have unlimited plans, I am using dodo and no complaints in 9 months but from what i heard if it goes down then you are in trouble

heard for unlimited iinet is good too. check teh whirlpool site for products services adn reviews

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thats it anj we have dodo unlimited but it disconnects all the time, you can't have more than one machine running off it and you've got to be pretty close to the router for any signal. Have been on phone to the technical team loads ans they're not good but we are stuck in a 2 year contract.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
which is really surprising because we have had no problem whatsoever, have you tried another phoneline, many a times there is a problem with the phone line/socket, ask them to escalate it to the technical team who can assist you with the phone line. If they are not able to do anything you can very well go to Ombudsman. I had similar issue and my husband is an IT pro, he screamed at them and told them he has reset the modem a zillion times, then we changed our modem, that worked and one point for the phone had some issue so we used another on in the room and since then no issues at all.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes we only have 2 lines in the house and both have had problems, we have spoken to the technical team and they done something with the router ( frequency or something) but still no better. Maybe the answer is a new router all together?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
damn.. try a router from a friend or if you can get something from someone

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was very surprised at the prices of internet here compared to the UK, and the common insistance on siging up for 2 whole years. I ended up getting naked DSL with MyNetfone and using the VOIP instead of landline. I'm not saying they're the best/fastest but I've had a solid connection for last 7 months and support is from Sydney call centre. I will say they are plenty cheaper than some with free modem and only 1 year contract.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up going for NakedDSL with iiNet, as heard it was pretty decent/reliable. The only thing that initially put me off was upfront costs (not what we're used to in the UK), but the connectivity is more important to me. Some of my experiences outlined below:

I took a no contract option as didn't want to commit for 24 months (although asked about cancellation fees which work on a pro-rata basis and the most you'd have to pay is about $200ish so might be worth finding out about from your own provider if you're unhappy).

FYI costs involved:

$150 setup fee
$129.00 cost for wireless modem

£69.95 monthly cost for 100GB d/l

It should take about 10 days to setup inc. delivery of router etc.

The only issue I had, was the online form wasn't working when I got to the payment section so I had to request a call back - but they dealt with me really quickly and efficiently.

I found speaking to friends/colleagues was the best way to narrow down the options. I tried to look for customer reviews online and through comparison sites, but they all offered good & bad feedback and the comparison sites all came up with different suggestions which made me feel even more confused. I also phoned the suppliers to hear the offers straight from the horses mouth as found the websites/offers confusing (and I'm pretty tech-savvy).

I would say as a whole, internet here is uncomparable to the UK. There are still different download limits you've got to think about, and the upfront & monthly costs seem a lot. Perhaps they will eventually have a model like the UK (one price for unlimited usage etc, free setup etc) but for now it's a bit more complicated.

If anyone's interested, I'll post up my experiences of setup/connectivity once I get going in case it helps anyone else who's thinking about choosing broadband.

Cheers,

Josie

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
129$ for a wireless modem and 69$ for just 100$ d/l. Have you purchased the modem already? Because you can get a decent enough modem from any shop for less than 100$.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.