Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Getting Malaysian citizenship is impossible for expats - even if you have a child here. The best you can get is a long term permanent residency such as Malaysia My 2nd Home

In many case they do not even allow refugee orphan kids who are adopted by Malaysian families to get Malaysian citizenship, particularly if the adoptees are not Malay Muslims.

(Malaysia is 60% Malay Muslim, 25% Chinese of various religions and about 15% others and the ruling party is trying to increase the Muslim population for political/electoral reasons)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think i wasnt clear with my answers as i wrote on a quick post. my partner signed my sons birth certificate and so my son acquired my partners surname.

And to add, the visa we applied for is a fiance visa and had registered to UK municipality but yet refused for the reason I mentioned (fyi we applied in hongkong but as I am filipina our docs were still sent back to Philippine british embassy). We also tried to marry in the Philippines but before you can get that letter saying you are single you will still need to make an appointment with the british embassy in the Philippines and have to go through a long process and I dont know how truthful it is but I was told that marriage outside UK are not recognized by the UK law? ... You will still need to get married in the UK for some reason...

Interesting info about Malaysia.. I wish to see that place on my next travel.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
i think i wasnt clear with my answers as i wrote on a quick post. my partner signed my sons birth certificate and so my son acquired my partners surname.

And to add, the visa we applied for is a fiance visa and had registered to UK municipality but yet refused for the reason I mentioned (fyi we applied in hongkong but as I am filipina our docs were still sent back to Philippine british embassy). We also tried to marry in the Philippines but before you can get that letter saying you are single you will still need to make an appointment with the british embassy in the Philippines and have to go through a long process and I dont know how truthful it is but I was told that marriage outside UK are not recognized by the UK law? ... You will still need to get married in the UK for some reason...

Interesting info about Malaysia.. I wish to see that place on my next travel.
alen054, a marriage in the Philippines is 100% recognised in the UK. I don't know how old your child is and I don't know if it makes a difference but as your partner is a UK citizen you must register your child as a British Citizen at the British Embassy. It should be fairly straight forward for your partner to do. If you are not married they may ask for a DNA test but this shouldn't be anything to worry about. Once you child is a British Citizen it should be much easier for you to go to the UK, spouse visa would be preferable. As a British Citizen your child will have the right to reside in the UK and it would be against human rights law for your child to travel without it's mother.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you gary, my son is 2 1/2 years btw. Ive made a bit of research and seen that as my partner is a naturalized british then my son should automatically acquire that citizenship and you are right that we should register but as we are on this since I had my son it has affected us too much emotionally and yes I question that thing about him being straight forward to doing it but we tried to be together and spent a lot trying and that includes applying for a visa that got denied, which eventually turned frustratingly that I'd have to leave my son for 2 months and work back in Dubai, lucky to find a good job in the same industry that I left off but couldn't continue it coz we agreed that there will be options but not this way so I went back and quit my job again, My son is holding me back, and to be with him is a dream for me. He seemed confuse and afraid to loose more money and so cautious of making a move if it weren't sure which makes me want to do it all for us coz its starting to affect me not being able to be together when my son is suppose to be enjoying him and him enjoying my son, and us together, he's got background of depression and am afraid its whats holding him to make a move... my question is... do u think I can do it for us? the marriage thing we've tried registering and doing it but because of the distance and inability to make things happen it is weakening our relationship basically from my side as I have my son with me (amazing and lonely without a father) I need him to be with us but as we have spent so much and just recently was left with the situation apart.

How do you think I can help fix our situation and how much should I save to start with so as not to give him so much stress and what advise should I tell him to better our status.

IloveaFilipina, I can be a learning experience for you in the future :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
J.

I advise take the option of obtaining Malaysian citizenship at the worst as its very difficult to hold a Philippine passport getting places in the world.
as updated getting Malaysian citizenship is next to impossible even if you deliver /
live there ...

PS, Singapore too balances the racial mix... like Malaysia

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So a quick update:

Me and my mahal are now officially married :)

After much back and forth and paperwork that needed all sorts of authentications, notarizations and stamps from the various Embassies (which in turn required a variety of docs that need to be notarised and authenticated by the DFA in the Philippines) and various Malaysian Gov't departments (Immigration, Foreign Affairs and the National Registry office to name a few), we finally got the approval to go ahead and tied the knot in a small civil ceremony a few weeks back - followed by a short honeymoon in Bali.

After getting back to Malaysia we had to start another bureaucratic process, to register the marriage with the Philippines Embassy here - which required a whole variety of documents (multiple copies) - but everything has been submitted now (phew).

Anyway my wife (still feels weird saying that) is now 7-months along in her pregnancy and everything is going well so far. The monthly scan and checkup reveals our son-to-be is slightly 'longer' than average, but other than that completely healthy so far - and I pray that it stays that way. He is kicking my wife like crazy and her belly looks so huge I am kind of scared that he is going to pop out early - so am glad that we have got the wedding out of the way.

The child will be dual nationality - Filipino and either British or Irish (as I am dual nationality myself). Am leaning towards Irish as the UK may vote itself out of the European Union in the next few years and would prefer my son to have a passport that gives access to the rest of Europe - plus everyone (almost) loves the Irish ;-)

We have also obtained a three-month visa (extendable to six-months) from the Malaysian Embassy in the Philippines for my mother-in-law, who will be coming to visit us in January in order to help my wife through the pre and post-birth period - which will be interesting culture shock for her (she has never been out of the Phils before).

I just want to add on one other thing. As some of you know from my first few posts I am 41 (but I feel a lot younger) and my wife is 21 (about to turn 22).

I know that there has been some debate here (on this forum) about the wisdom of getting involved in a relationship with too much of an age gap - and I completely understand that and know that it is based on (sad) experience in many cases. However, I just want to say that from my perspective things are going okay so far.

We have now lived together in Malaysia for two years and all I can say is that I love her more and more every day and (unless she is a better liar/actor than Satan himself) I know that she feels the same way about me - despite the age difference. We share the same interests, the same sense of humour, the same attitudes to (and understanding of) other people. We have pretty similar tastes in music and movies (i.e. we both hate scary/horror flicks) and share a love of food :) S I am not sure if this means that I am just a child at heart or whether she is just a lot more mature than most women her age - personally I think it is a bit of both :)

I have no idea if things will continue to go well for us and am aware of all the various horror stories, but so far I am extremely optimistic. Yes, I share some of the frustrations that many of you on this site share with regard the extended family and their work ethic/needs, but this seems like a minor irritant when compared with the joy that my mahal makes me feel every single day.

When I first joined this site back in 2013 I created a username which described how I felt at the time and it is just as relevant - if not more so today. I Love a Filipina and I truly hope that will always be the case. No regrets so far.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Wow---Congratulations!!! The two (almost 3) of you are off to a great start together. Age should not make a difference and likely will not.

Just a hint; When a family member of hers comes to visit from here in the Philippines; be sure they do NOT fly out of Clark/Angeles.

Reason for this is that At times, the officers working for Immigration at that airport will deny boarding of a citizen *even if their passport and visa* is in order and legal.
They seem to have unquestioned authority along with little or no accountability for their decisions or actions.
To negate/eliminate problems of this nature it is best to fly out of the main airport in Manila.

Again, from all of us at Expat Forum; congratulations and Happy Holidays..

Reactions: ILoveAFilipina

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Wow---Congratulations!!! The two (almost 3) of you are off to a great start together. Age should not make a difference and likely will not.

Just a hint; When a family member of hers comes to visit from here in the Philippines; be sure they do NOT fly out of Clark/Angeles.

Reason for this is that At times, the officers working for Immigration at that airport will deny boarding of a citizen *even if their passport and visa* is in order and legal.
They seem to have unquestioned authority along with little or no accountability for their decisions or actions.
To negate/eliminate problems of this nature it is best to fly out of the main airport in Manila.

Again, from all of us at Expat Forum; congratulations and Happy Holidays..
Thanks.

Actually have experienced the Clark issue already. In fact the first time I was meant to meet my mahal outside the Philippines we had arranged to meet in Singapore - along with her sister who was going to act as a chaperone. I was in Malaysia for a meeting and had planned to meet them both at Changi Airport in Singapore.

Despite having return tickets, confirmation of the hotel booking and a letter from me, the immigration officers at Angeles denied them access to the flight - and indeed went so far as to suggest to my GF and her sis that I was a people trafficker who would steal their passports, rape them and sell them into prostitution.

Not impressed with this I flew to Clark to meet my GF in the Phils instead - but the whole process cost me a couple of return airline tickets, my own return ticket to Singapore and a lost hotel booking (paid in advance).

Anyway, as a result of this I did more research and discovered that I had to obtain a 'Letter of Invitation' from the Philippines Embassy and (more importantly) it was suggested that I actually travel with my GF.

Anyway, the first time my GF came to Malaysia via Clark they stopped us (even with the letter of invitation stamped by the Phils Embassy in Malaysia) and interviewed her - and then me - separately and then compared the answers. As everything was in order (and it was clear that we had had a relationship for sometime and I was clearly not a people trafficker) they had to let my GF travel.

After my GF got exit/entry stamps in her passport the Immigration Officers at Clark just let her through now and she has been back and forth many times.

Her sister has been out to visit us in Malaysia also a couple of times. The first time we did get the letter from the Embassy again and after interviewing her (and her demonstrating that her sister was living in Malaysia with a Malaysian visa) they let her through. Again - after that first trip they did not stop her again once they saw the previous exit/entry stamps in her passport - so it seems as if the Immigration Officers at Clark are primarily targeting first time travelers.

Her mum (my mother-in-law) is coming in Jan and has the Malaysian visa already. She will be travelling with the daughter who has been her 2x so we think there will be no need for the Embassy Invitation letter for the mum as they primarily seem to stop younger girls as part of their anti-trafficking measures. One of my wife's Titas and a Cousin are coming as well and we did get the Invitation Letter for them (just in case).

Am hoping that there will be no more issues at Clark in the future as the family now has a track record of leaving (and returning) to the Phils with no issues.

·
Registered
549 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS! ...Both on your marriage and the soon to be little one. I agree with Jet on the age thing. Yours is not extreme and it really comes down to the two people involved and compatibility, which sounds like you have that no doubt. My asawa and, like you all in age split and have been together 7 yrs, married 4 yrs...tied knot in PI just 2 days before I headed off to Afghanistan for fun n games. We also just had our first child last month, a boy, and our compatibility has been even more evident through that whole process. It is a life changer, But a wonderful one. You all will be fine...Love knows no boundaries. I tell others just Never forget what made you truly love that other person in the first place and never take him or her for granted. So, enjoy the journey and enjoy every moment. Wishing you two (soon 3) All the Best!...Glad it all worked out.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Her mum (my mother-in-law) is coming in Jan and has the Malaysian visa already. She will be travelling with the daughter who has been her 2x so we think there will be no need for the Embassy Invitation letter for the mum as they primarily seem to stop younger girls as part of their anti-trafficking measures. One of my wife's Titas and a Cousin are coming as well and we did get the Invitation Letter for them (just in case).
If getting the invitation letter for everyone why not her mom? Murphy's Law....

If it's easy enough to get that you're getting it for aunts and cousins I'd get one for mom too. In fact mom would be who'd I'd get it for beyond all others!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My friend you have found what I am looking for.

Does your wife have a sister by any chance?:fingerscrossed: :)

Congradulations and best wishes for you and youjr family

·
Registered
20 Posts
My fiancé (she's Catholic) says your baby can be baptized out of wedlock, but some priests are very strict and might not be willing. But it is possible. You can give the baby your surname even if not married. I am a USA citizen and it cost me P2250 for my "affidavit for legal capacity to marry," and only took 30 minutes to get it. We had problems with the judge in Mandaue accepting it, but in Cebu City it was no problem. It cost P300 for the judge to marry us. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When my wife and I joined Phil Health we where told there is a ninety day waiting period
Like all things here that is confusing. What I think the intention is would be for locals who can pay monthly. They want to see a track record of three payments. I believe all "foreigners" must pay by the year so no problem. But again like most things here it may depend who is manning the desk that day. But do not judge I have gotten the same result in the USA many times at the Customer Service desk. LOL

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Like all things here that is confusing. What I think the intention is would be for locals who can pay monthly. They want to see a track record of three payments. I believe all "foreigners" must pay by the year so no problem. But again like most things here it may depend who is manning the desk that day. But do not judge I have gotten the same result in the USA many times at the Customer Service desk. LOL
It is true on the 90 day waiting period before PhilHealth can be used after joining. No idea why but that's the way it is.
My wife works for the local water company and anytime there is any person signing up for the insurance they must wait the 90 days before it can be used.

Jet Lag

21 - 40 of 76 Posts