Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started looking into applying for a 176 Visa for Aus. I am a Gas Fitter and will need to apply to TRA to get my Trade certificate and also I will need to apply for State Sponsorship to get the 65 Points, problem is I am 40 in 5 months time. When I hit 40 I will loose 10 points and wont be able to apply. Is 5 months enough time to TRA Certifictae and State Sponsorship and also apply for visa. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have just started looking into applying for a 176 Visa for Aus. I am a Gas Fitter and will need to apply to TRA to get my Trade certificate and also I will need to apply for State Sponsorship to get the 65 Points, problem is I am 40 in 5 months time. When I hit 40 I will loose 10 points and wont be able to apply. Is 5 months enough time to TRA Certifictae and State Sponsorship and also apply for visa. Any advice appreciated.
Yes 5 months is enough if you hurry up, you also have to keep in my your IELTS exam.

However you do have another problem coming up, which is the major immigration changes being introduced in July 2012. You need to keep that in mind, and do some research about the changes (there are lot of threads here about it). additionally the Skilled occupations list will be changed in the coming weeks, so you need to check if your occupation gas fitter is still in that list and state sponsorship occupations change all the time, so after you are done with TRA you need to make sure your occupation still remains in the state you are seeking sponsorship from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI JBY, Thanks for your reply. I have downloaded the SOL Schedule from the Australian Immigration website and my trade is still on the list after 1st July. On the South Australia State Sponsorship website it says my Trade is in high demand but I will contact them. One thing I noticed on the S.S website was that the state sponsorship is for only 60days and its not renewable. Does this mean if you get State Sponsorship you have 60 days to apply for your visa? By the way whats the IELTS Exam.

Yes 5 months is enough if you hurry up, you also have to keep in my your IELTS exam.

However you do have another problem coming up, which is the major immigration changes being introduced in July 2012. You need to keep that in mind, and do some research about the changes (there are lot of threads here about it). additionally the Skilled occupations list will be changed in the coming weeks, so you need to check if your occupation gas fitter is still in that list and state sponsorship occupations change all the time, so after you are done with TRA you need to make sure your occupation still remains in the state you are seeking sponsorship from.

·
Registered
630 Posts
HI JBY, Thanks for your reply. I have downloaded the SOL Schedule from the Australian Immigration website and my trade is still on the list after 1st July. On the South Australia State Sponsorship website it says my Trade is in high demand but I will contact them. One thing I noticed on the S.S website was that the state sponsorship is for only 60days and its not renewable. Does this mean if you get State Sponsorship you have 60 days to apply for your visa? By the way whats the IELTS Exam.
There is a new updated SOL coming up soon, which will replace the current one called SOL2012. You'll need to check that.

Once you get SA sponsorship, you will have 60 days to use it to apply for a visa.

IELTS exam is the english language examination, that you need to undertake to claim up to 20 Additional points in the points test. Check the points test and you will see it mentioned there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is the correct order - Apply for the TRA Certificate, IELTS Exam, State Sponsorship and then Visa?

There is a new updated SOL coming up soon, which will replace the current one called SOL2012. You'll need to check that.

Once you get SA sponsorship, you will have 60 days to use it to apply for a visa.

IELTS exam is the english language examination, that you need to undertake to claim up to 20 Additional points in the points test. Check the points test and you will see it mentioned there.

·
Registered
630 Posts
So is the correct order - Apply for the TRA Certificate, IELTS Exam, State Sponsorship and then Visa?
Yep, that's about right, but for IELTS you can go ahead right away and book your exams, as exam dates are usually far apart, so might as well to save yourself time. For IELTS you need to score atleast 8 across EACH module in order to obtain 20 max points, lower marks means lower points(you can read more at the points test form on DIAC's website), so make sure you prepare well :)

In the coming weeks keep yourself updated about the SOL2012 list when they release it, and state sponsorship occupation list. This way you can be updated about the status of your occupation (hopefully it remains in the list by the time you apply for visa, but its good to be aware).

Also, read up on the new 1st July 2012 rules over here, as there are significant changes introduced in terms of the visa application process: Skillselect

Good luck and feel free to come to this forum for any questions, its a great community with tons of helpful people with alot of experience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do the ielts exam immediately as that nearly caught me out. It takes 13 days for the results to be mailed to you so you need to be doing the exam on the 16th at the lastest to get your results the 29thand upload them immediately before july 1st.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.