Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am in a situation right now where I have to make a choice. I was wondering if some of you nice people out here will help me in making one.

I got my grant last month. Our initial entry date is Sep 2014. I initially planned to move to Melbourne in March next year with the intention of calling my wife and 4 year old son by August. However, now we have found out that my wife has conceived, its still a very early stage of pregnancy though.

Now I have two options in front of me;

Option 1:
I take my family along me to Australia in March next year for initial entry. Have a holiday for couple of weeks and then we all come back. She delivers a baby here in Pakistan, then we apply for newborn visa that takes around 14 months and then decide for our move. (Which would atleast be after 2 years from what we have planned i.e March 2014)

Option 2:
I along with my family move permanently in March. Delivers a baby there which would entitle him a citizenship by birth.

Problems:
If I go with option 1, my whole planning will get disturbed. I am already in a place where I have already started preparing for my big move and now asking myself to hold back for more than 2 years is just killing me.

Option 2 doesn't feel right because moving with the family will require quite alot of funds. It is very difficult for me to go to a new country with a 4 year old and pregnant wife with no job. Its just too risky. Further, my wife is already engaged in a professional culinary arts course which would be finished by June next year. So asking her to move early means she will have to leave that course in the middle. And after finishing the course its just not possible to travel in the 8th/9th month of pregnancy.

So, now please tell me what I should do in this situation. Go with option 1 or 2? Or you have any 3rd option for us?

regards,
Roposh

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have you tried to secure a job before you land????
Also how long is the flight frm Pakistan? If you get a Drs certificate the airlines normally accept fitness to fly, but just has to come from your Dr....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried to secure a job before you land????
Also how long is the flight frm Pakistan? If you get a Drs certificate the airlines normally accept fitness to fly, but just has to come from your Dr....
Yes i have had couple of calls from recruiters but they say it will work only when I m there physically.

The flight takes around 30 hours from pakistan including stop overs at bangkok or hongkong.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't know what field you are in....but I secured a job before I came here.....like you I wouldn't of wanted to leave a secure life , to come to a foreign country with no job...

The flight would be quite uncomfortable for your wife...but feasible , anything is feasible if you find a way :)

G

·
Uncomfortable but doable. I flew at 7 months, 24 hrs from the UK. Not a great flight but its never a great flight anyway. Just have a letter from your doctor to hand as the air stewards are very fussy the bigger the bump us and if your wife looks uncomfortable. They nag so much!

If your wife is expecting how likely is she to leave the course early anyway? Its not like she couldn't take a similar course in Australia getting credit for work done if she keeos evidence.

Yes a bit risky job wise but life is full of risks. You could lose your job where you are now. You could leave them and go to Australia and they need you. Best all together as a family even if it's a bit tight for a while whilst job hunting.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uncomfortable but doable. I flew at 7 months, 24 hrs from the UK. Not a great flight but its never a great flight anyway. Just have a letter from your doctor to hand as the air stewards are very fussy the bigger the bump us and if your wife looks uncomfortable. They nag so much!

If your wife is expecting how likely is she to leave the course early anyway? Its not like she couldn't take a similar course in Australia getting credit for work done if she keeos evidence.

Yes a bit risky job wise but life is full of risks. You could lose your job where you are now. You could leave them and go to Australia and they need you. Best all together as a family even if it's a bit tight for a while whilst job hunting.
Thanks for the response, Shel.
7 months!!! God! That must have been tough for u.
I am not sure about the credits transfer..shall check that out. As for leaving the course early is concerned, i think if she is here then she wont have to leave it at all. I think she can manage that here.

Regards
Roposh

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what field you are in....but I secured a job before I came here.....like you I wouldn't of wanted to leave a secure life , to come to a foreign country with no job...

The flight would be quite uncomfortable for your wife...but feasible , anything is feasible if you find a way :)
Thanx judy and rob for ur advice. I would like to get opinion of few more before i finally take a call on this.
Regards
Roposh

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can somebody tell me how easy or difficult it is to get the visa for the newborn if he is born overseas? Is it mandatory that one of the the parents (PR holder) must be living in Australia to apply for new born's visa or it can be doen easily from overseas as well?

I have to make sure that If I make an initial entry in March nexy year and then we all come back and wait for the baby's birth, then it won't be a problem afterwards in getting a visa for the new born.

regards,
Roposh

G

·
Bar the child having a very serious disability noticeable from birth it is simple and guaranteed. No you do not need to be living in Australia but it does take 12 months or more to grant.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bar the child having a very serious disability noticeable from birth it is simple and guaranteed. No you do not need to be living in Australia but it does take 12 months or more to grant.
Thanks alot _Shel!
I knew you would be the first one to help. Thank again!

Shel, when you travelled to Australia in the 7th month of preganncy, did you face any trouble in getting yourself registered with hospital for delivery? I read somewheer that most hospitals refuse to take you in if you come at late stage of pregnancy. Were you in contact with the hospital or doctors in Australia before your arrival? How was your experience?

regards,
Roposh

·
Registered
28 Posts
(queried in another post)

Hi _shel, i have also almost similar case with my unborn.

We did medical in October and got grant (176 - SA sponsored) in November. But after medical done we came to know that my wife got conceived and it is around 1.5 months that time. Ultrasound report shows everything is okay as per doc and expected delivery is mid Jun 2014.

Now we are planning to move by Feb 2014 and planning to stay in Melbourne. The reason of staying in Melbourne is my wife's close relative is staying there and planning to rent house near of that relative for any urgency.

At this point I have some confusion and looking for your suggestion:
1. Do I need to inform SA govt regarding my arrival?
2. Can I stay in Melbourne with consent from SA govt? if can't then at least till baby birth (June 2014)?
3. What about medicare? Am I able to get medical support and hospitalization in the big day? I heard hospitals are reluctant to register pregnant after 6/7 months.
4. Do I need approval letter from doctor for flight journey? Is there any complications in journey?

I would be grateful if you could ans please.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts