Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am 54 years old and am emigrating to the UK later this year. I have a British Passport by descent and am a British Citizen. I was in the UK in 1997 and have a National Insurance Number. I will be arriving with not much money, hopefully about 2000 pounds. Friends will put me up for a few months as I find employment and a place to stay. I am an Addiction Counsellor and am hoping to find employment in the Addiction field. If I can't find work in this field then I am open to any sort of job.

I am looking for any advice anyone can give me, such as:

Is 2000 pounds enough to arrive with?
Are jobs hard to come by?
If I need to claim any benefits (if I struggle to find a job) is there a waiting period? I heard there was a 3 month waiting period.
I had a bank account when I was in the UK in1997 but I cant remember which bank. I was claiming Jobseekers Allowance and my money was paid into the bank account. Do UK bank accounts expire or will it just be dormant?

Thanks, George

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You will not be able to claim benefits. You must have paid into the system for a period of years before you can do that. £2000 is not much money and will barely be enough to survive. Jobs are difficult to come by, but if you're talented you should be able to find work.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
It's not my understanding that you have to pay in for a number of years first! However you have to do a habitual residency test..

Citizens Advice - Coming from abroad and claiming benefits - the habitual residence test

£2000 is not a huge amount of money although staying with friends helps. You will find that getting too and from interviews etc can be expensive.

Have you done any research in your field of work?

When my son arrived in the UK he had no problem getting a job at all, in fact he went for 3 interviews and was offered 2 of the jobs so it's not all bad..

Good luck

·
Registered
38,988 Posts
If you can increase your funds to £3000-4000, that will be a help.
About claiming benefits, the procedure is you apply first and they will come back to you within a week or so. If they may demand further documents, such as what you have done with property in SA if any, sold, rented out etc. They will want to know you are now living in UK permanently.
Your bank account is likely to be in dormancy - there is now free service to trace Lost Accounts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.