Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

After much consideration about the lifestyles on offer in both England and Australia I have come to the conclusion that the best option for myself is to Emmigrate Down Under. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at the VISA options for new Graduates - I am currently a 23 year old German and Business Studies student in the UK and will graduate University this July. As far as I am aware there is no easy way for a new Graduate to make their way down to Australia easily - most of the VISAs require at least some work experience in relevant fields.

Just a few questions really - I am aware that Australia runs a Working Holiday-Maker VISA that would allow me to live and work in Australia for 1 year (2 if I worked in Agriculture for 3 months) Whilst this is a possibility for me I was wondering how easy it is to effectively upgrade this into a Permanent VISA - which would allow me to work for a company for more than 6 months and live within Australia indefinitely?

The only other option that I can see is to apply for a General Skilled Migrant VISA - I have gone through the points calculation (30 points for my age, 25 for my fluency in English, 60 for nominated profession Human Resource Management, and a further 5 for my fluency in German) The points obviously aren't the problem however the lack of experience working within the Industry is - having read the site i believe I would need 12 months experience before I applied for my VISA (I'm aware how much it costs so am trying to get everything in order before I apply to minimise the risk of losing money)

With the second option there are a few questions:
1) My degree not being specifically in HRM would it be a problem for me to have my skills successfully assessed - The Australian Institute of Management that would assess my qualifications says only a Batchelor's degree but doesn't specify what in etc.
2) If my degree doesn't cause a problem is it generally better if I apply for assessment after 12 months work experience or could I actually apply for that the minute I graduate?

Hope to hear from you soon

Nick

P.S. Envious that you guys are living in Summer atm!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Nick:

The WHV is not a path to PR in the future. It is meant simply as a way to have a long holiday in AU and do some work during that period.

Experience counts in any valid assessment, mainly you need to contact the AIM and ask if degree alone is sufficient. Even if you work for 12 months that is the bare minimum just to meet a visa requirement. You would be looking at a visa processing time of at least 2-3 yrs as you would not be on any priority list for visa processing (the lists for more priority occupations are MODL and CSL).

Another path to living and working in AU is the 457 visa, you need to convince an employer to sponsor you for that (not easy at all).

The main advice I can give to you is to build up work experience for the next 3-4 yrs and THEN apply. If you can build if up on a skill thats listed in the MODL or CSL then that will also improve your visa processing time when you do apply.

You can also consider the student route, go for a graduate degree at an AU University and then apply for a Temp Visa as a new graduate from an AU University.

As a graduate student you can work part time (at least 20 hrs/week).

Hey All

After much consideration about the lifestyles on offer in both England and Australia I have come to the conclusion that the best option for myself is to Emmigrate Down Under. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at the VISA options for new Graduates - I am currently a 23 year old German and Business Studies student in the UK and will graduate University this July. As far as I am aware there is no easy way for a new Graduate to make their way down to Australia easily - most of the VISAs require at least some work experience in relevant fields.

Just a few questions really - I am aware that Australia runs a Working Holiday-Maker VISA that would allow me to live and work in Australia for 1 year (2 if I worked in Agriculture for 3 months) Whilst this is a possibility for me I was wondering how easy it is to effectively upgrade this into a Permanent VISA - which would allow me to work for a company for more than 6 months and live within Australia indefinitely?

The only other option that I can see is to apply for a General Skilled Migrant VISA - I have gone through the points calculation (30 points for my age, 25 for my fluency in English, 60 for nominated profession Human Resource Management, and a further 5 for my fluency in German) The points obviously aren't the problem however the lack of experience working within the Industry is - having read the site i believe I would need 12 months experience before I applied for my VISA (I'm aware how much it costs so am trying to get everything in order before I apply to minimise the risk of losing money)

With the second option there are a few questions:
1) My degree not being specifically in HRM would it be a problem for me to have my skills successfully assessed - The Australian Institute of Management that would assess my qualifications says only a Batchelor's degree but doesn't specify what in etc.
2) If my degree doesn't cause a problem is it generally better if I apply for assessment after 12 months work experience or could I actually apply for that the minute I graduate?

Hope to hear from you soon

Nick

P.S. Envious that you guys are living in Summer atm!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the advice.

I have taken a look at the MODL and unfortunately due to my degree subject field if I wanted to apply through that route it would take me probably 3 years to retrain so that I meet the criteria to apply for a profession that is listed there - about the only thing that might work for me is Accountant but that would still require considerable retraining since all of my Business Modules have been in Management and particularly Personnel Management. Overall the time it would take to retrain is exactly the same as the VISA processing time.

I already took a look at Employer Sponsorship and I believe the experience requirements are higher than the General Skilled Migrant - not only would I have to work longer in the UK but I would also have to persuade and employer to sponsor me.

Thank you for mentioning the Student Route - although it will probably take some time before I can afford to pay International Student Fees on top of accommodation etc which still equates to the wait for the VISA.

Is the time frame of 2-3 years for this VISA normal? Or is it shortened by having more points etc?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The 2-3 yrs is based on the priority level.

These priority levels are stipulated at this link:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

You'd likely fall into the last priority and that has a wait of 2-3 yrs. The highest priority level is for an employee sponsored and skilled which can be had within a few months.

More points does not mean priority as long as it's above the minimum required to apply.

Many thanks for the advice.

I have taken a look at the MODL and unfortunately due to my degree subject field if I wanted to apply through that route it would take me probably 3 years to retrain so that I meet the criteria to apply for a profession that is listed there - about the only thing that might work for me is Accountant but that would still require considerable retraining since all of my Business Modules have been in Management and particularly Personnel Management. Overall the time it would take to retrain is exactly the same as the VISA processing time.

I already took a look at Employer Sponsorship and I believe the experience requirements are higher than the General Skilled Migrant - not only would I have to work longer in the UK but I would also have to persuade and employer to sponsor me.

Thank you for mentioning the Student Route - although it will probably take some time before I can afford to pay International Student Fees on top of accommodation etc which still equates to the wait for the VISA.

Is the time frame of 2-3 years for this VISA normal? Or is it shortened by having more points etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the advice!

It's a slightly sobering thought given that my parents are soon to move to NZ and both my brothers qualify easily to move to Australia and will do in the next year or so. (This isnt the reason for my move - I've wanted to move there for years and my whole family has had an interest in moving down under - it just means I'm closer to my immediate family!)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You could get some additional priority on a 176 visa if you have family in AU (see family sponsored) and look again at the priority list. I think you'd move up from 7 to 5 or 6 level priority.

Many thanks for the advice!

It's a slightly sobering thought given that my parents are soon to move to NZ and both my brothers qualify easily to move to Australia and will do in the next year or so. (This isnt the reason for my move - I've wanted to move there for years and my whole family has had an interest in moving down under - it just means I'm closer to my immediate family!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts