Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I met online and have been together for 3 years. He is 25 and I am 23. He's been to my home country (USA) twice. I've made several trips to the UK for long periods of time. Twice for 3 months, several for a week or two and most recently, 5 months. In total, I've spent just over 1 year in the UK without a visa (because Americans can come as tourists for 6 months out of the year).

Each time I've come to the UK, I've been detained for questioning because I quit my job to be able to spend long periods of time in the UK. My boyfriend is able to financially support me. However, the last time I was granted entrance, I was advised that I would need a visa the next time I make a trip because it's "suspicious" that I have no means of income and that I'm able to spend long periods of time in the UK.

Back home, I live with my mother who financially supports me so I've chosen to not work so that I can be flexible with flight dates to be with my boyfriend. His job is very demanding and he can't request time off for more than a week, which is why he can't "live" with me in the U.S.

We do not want to get married just for the sake of being able to live together so we were looking at the unmarried partner visa. It seems perfect for our situation except for the whole "proof you've been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for a minimum of 2 years". He owns his own home and we do "live together in a relationship akin to marriage" when I'm in the UK. But, if I'm being advised to get a visa before I can return, how are we supposed to live together?

Is this is a very strict rule that can mean automatic rejection for a visa? Are there any other options? We want to live together in the UK and we do plan on marriage in the future but again, we don't want to feel "forced" into marriage because the border agency has given us no other choice. Any advice?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your advice! After talking about it with my boyfriend, I think I'm going to try for a tier 2 work visa. I've been offered positions here before but never considered it until now. Time to research!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.