Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I saw an ad for a:

Samsung Galaxy S III Smartphone Android 32 Go Blanc

from ecophone on Amazon.fr

and it says:
D'occasion - Bon
utilisable avec les cartes SIM de tous les opérateurs, produit 100% fonctionnel garanti 1 an, mobile en bon état, batterie originale neuve,

It's a "reconditionné"

It sounds like a good deal to me. I use a detested Nokia N95- detested because they ruined the phone with the later software versions they forced you to install that only bugged the phone. I bought my Nokia here in France.

So, if I buy this Amazon phone "utilisable avec les cartes SIM de tous les opérateurs," I should be able to just take my Nokia SIM and pop it into the Samsung? Or would I need to order a new SIM from my operator (prixtel)?

Has anyone had experience buying a reconditioned phone in France? I think if this company offers a guarantee of one year, this indicates they are not a scam. Am I wrong to think this? Customers seem pretty satisfied overall as well.

TIA

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know anything about Ecophone but reconditioned electronics are generally indistinguishable from the brand-new product apart from the packaging. Your existing Sim card should work fine. Looks like a good deal.

Al

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ordered it! This is going to be a long week of waiting...

I am so praying that it won't be defective... Can't wait to take a few pictures! Camera is supposed to be really good

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got the phone - so far so good

Just to follow up...

So far, phone works fine. Very disappointed with the photo camera, although video seems pretty good. Amazing little app to generate artistic effects on photographs called Art something came with it, I suppose they packaged it to try to assuage their customers' disappointment with the camera

My most pressing problem right now is wrestling my phone away from google. Google has taken control over the phone, and I can barely use it. And now, there I have to spend hours on the Internet finding out how I can do the most basic things like checking just one email box and not having stupid google force me opent all mail boxes, how not to download a million email from the last three months, how not to update all this stuff I never installed in the phone myself...

Seriously, I feel like I'm dealing with a pint-size version of Hal from 2001...

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I have a Samsung, too (though not nearly as fancy a model as yours) and I know I found it very tricky in the beginning to figure out how to use it.

I haven't had the same problem with Google that you appear to be having, but then I don't use my phone for reading my e-mail. Have set up a Google account strictly to handle those things that require a Google mail account on the phone (a to-do app and the calendar app - both of which send "reminders" via Google mail).

Have you located the online version of the user manual? That's usually the first thing I do these days with a new gadget, cause what they include with the gadget itself is normally not at all sufficient.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, manual

I have a Samsung, too (though not nearly as fancy a model as yours) and I know I found it very tricky in the beginning to figure out how to use it.

Have you located the online version of the user manual? That's usually the first thing I do these days with a new gadget, cause what they include with the gadget itself is normally not at all sufficient.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks, I have. It actually covers all the functions of the phone and it is a nicely written manual, but then it doesn't go into the google issues.

Did you also miss your first phone call because you couldn't figure out how to answer the call? :)

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Thanks, I have. It actually covers all the functions of the phone and it is a nicely written manual, but then it doesn't go into the google issues.

Did you also miss your first phone call because you couldn't figure out how to answer the call? :)
Oh yes! And you should have seen me struggling the first time a voicemail thing told me to "press 1 for X, press 2 for Y..."
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
amazon

Were you able to review the sellers ratings and reviews on Amazon before you purchased it? Warm regards.
I believe I had no issues reviewing them from what I remember. Why?

"And you should have seen me struggling the first time a voicemail thing told me to "press 1 for X, press 2 for Y...""

Reading manuals is such a nuisance... I'm so looking forward to spending hours of fun reading threads on forums to figure out the google issues from fellow android user sufferers...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I believe I had no issues reviewing them from what I remember. Why? "And you should have seen me struggling the first time a voicemail thing told me to "press 1 for X, press 2 for Y..."" Reading manuals is such a nuisance... I'm so looking forward to spending hours of fun reading threads on forums to figure out the google issues from fellow android user sufferers...
Before I ever make a purchase on Amazon from a place other than a direct shipment from Amazon, I always look at how that company is rated and reviewed. Warm regards!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
always good

Before I ever make a purchase on Amazon from a place other than a direct shipment from Amazon, I always look at how that company is rated and reviewed. Warm regards!
Yes, that's always good. Not only that, I spent hours reading so many pro reviews and the endless user comments on this phone... and comment after comment said the photos were fantastic, yada yada... and there were comparison videos - hours spent reading about and comparing 874 similar models and brands.

And... the result? Who are these people? Are they blind? We need a law that obliges these review sites to post a warning message saying "Do NOT review the camera in your phone if you are basically blind. If all you can see in front of you is a blurb, please review only the music playback..."

:becky:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yes, that's always good. Not only that, I spent hours reading so many pro reviews and the endless user comments on this phone... and comment after comment said the photos were fantastic, yada yada... and there were comparison videos - hours spent reading about and comparing 874 similar models and brands. And... the result? Who are these people? Are they blind? We need a law that obliges these review sites to post a warning message saying "Do NOT review the camera in your phone if you are basically blind. If all you can see in front of you is a blurb, please review only the music playback..." :becky:
What I like about the reviews on the seller is the fact that if a customer is really irate and gives the seller a poor review or bad grade, the seller can not make any changes to it. If a seller receives too many bad reviews or complaints, Amazon pulls them off the site. It is a way of keeping them honest.

Alternatively, the product reviews are always helpful. A real user review is so important, especially after a new introduction of a product. A real user does away with all the hype and truly says what is on their mind. They often say things that no one else might say. A stupid example might be for the new Apple IPhone 5S. The hype on the fingerprint key will only excite a person but an actual user might say they had difficulty using it as their finger was damp so it didn't work.

All the best with your new phone! Warm regards!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.