Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I are intersted in job opportunities and the Australian living experience. I am American and he is European (Belgian). We are not married and have no children thus we can pick up and leave pretty easily. We currently reside in Belgium and are interested in a new experience after both having lived abroad already. We are in our late twenties. He is a Project Manager in the energy field and I am an Account Manager for an end-to-end solutions and logisitcs company. We both have roughly 2-3 years working experience and a good education. (Master's level from EU standards, Bachelor's using American standards.)

I would like to know what the job market looks like for us and what your opinions and advice are in going forward in a our job search. Is the outlook good, what cities are most likely to return a postive job search, what are pay expectations and what is the standard of living could we expect? What are the expenses that we need to look out for and the "mostly unknowns" that we should be aware of? What is your advice on going about looking for and applying for jobs in Australia?

Any advice or general comments that you could give would be appreciated as we are in the very beginning of this journey and every little bit helps!

·
Registered
619 Posts
My partner and I are intersted in job opportunities and the Australian living experience. I am American and he is European (Belgian). We are not married and have no children thus we can pick up and leave pretty easily. We currently reside in Belgium and are interested in a new experience after both having lived abroad already. We are in our late twenties. He is a Project Manager in the energy field and I am an Account Manager for an end-to-end solutions and logisitcs company. We both have roughly 2-3 years working experience and a good education. (Master's level from EU standards, Bachelor's using American standards.)

I would like to know what the job market looks like for us and what your opinions and advice are in going forward in a our job search. Is the outlook good, what cities are most likely to return a postive job search, what are pay expectations and what is the standard of living could we expect? What are the expenses that we need to look out for and the "mostly unknowns" that we should be aware of? What is your advice on going about looking for and applying for jobs in Australia?

Any advice or general comments that you could give would be appreciated as we are in the very beginning of this journey and every little bit helps!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The biggest thing to figure out is whether or not your job falls into the Skilled Occupation list (SOL). If it does you will be eligible to apply for Permanent Residency visas.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

Take a look at the PDF above and see if you can identify your job role/title.

The job market is a little unstable at the minute, but no where near as bad as the US, I don't believe. AU immigration further break down their SOL list into MODL (on demand) and CSL (critical skills). If your occupation falls into these categories then you probably stand a better chance of finding employment sooner.

Obviously you stand a better chance of finding jobs in the big cities. I don't really know too much about the best cities for that, but would assume Melbourne and Sydney are good starting points.

The cost of living can be surprising. Most people think australia will be much cheaper. However we have found them to be not too much different to the US, with certain things such as electronics & cars, being more expensive. Housing can vary depending on location. Sydney is the most expensive.

Good luck on your quest!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked out the stickies at the top of the forum page? All the info is there for you to work out if you qualify for a visa.

Dolly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts