Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Lauren(american citizen) and I have been living in the UK for nearly 5 years with my British husband. We have been through the marriage visa process and the whole ILR and. Ow here we are looking for more advice for another visa!

The situation - My mother and father live in Florida where I was born and raised. In Feb '10 my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer. As his health went rapidly down hill I began researching how my mother could join me in the UK when eventually the inevitable happenstance my dad looses his battle with cancer. My mother desperately wants to come to the UK as A-she has always been obsessed with the whole of England. And B - her only two grandchildren are here. Whom one she has never seen and the other not since we went to visit in Nov '10 when she was only 5 months old. She has been here when my eldest daughter was born in June '10 for 5 weeks and in '08 when I had only been here for a lite while..

On to my question! When my father does eventually pass on, my mother will be widowed, but she is only 52. I have read that if she falls into several other categories she can still qualify. The main problem I have come across in my research is that she is not wholly or mainly dependent on us at all. my husband and my combined wages are just over 26.5k and receive no public funds (other then child bene.) we live in a three bedroom privately rented house and have space for her. I believe our wages are adequate but it's just the dependency factor. She is estranged from her sister and my sister lives in California and would not be able to house her. But I do not see a way around the showing she is dependent on us.. I can provide all the documents.. Also, if it would assist my application, when the time comes, I would be able to supply a letter from my company showing a raise in July hours which would increase our income greatly ( I only work 16 at the moment and could increase it up to 30, and possibly if their is a position going become a deputy manager) as my mother would be able to stay at home happily with our daughters allowing me to work more hours. Or my company has said they'd be more then happy to offer my mother a position. She has a degree in medical billing or something like that and has worked in a Drs office for 12 years so hopefully that would look good as well!

I just don't know what to do about the dependancy bit.. Would asking for compassionate grounds help? Would they see a women alone after loosing her husband so young in Florida who desperately loves her daughter, the UK, and her grandchildren compassionate enough?

I have considered a long term visitor visa, but my mother does not earn much money, or have any savings after spending all her money on my dads treatment.. =[ I just don't know what to do! Any advice or suggestions? I have combed through the ukba website and feel lost.

Sorry this is so full of grammatical errors! Both my daughters are asleep on me and I am typing this on my phone! Makes it difficult to proof read!

Thank you so much in advance!

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
Hello! My name is Lauren(american citizen) and I have been living in the UK for nearly 5 years with my British husband. We have been through the marriage visa process and the whole ILR and. Ow here we are looking for more advice for another visa!

The situation - My mother and father live in Florida where I was born and raised. In Feb '10 my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer. As his health went rapidly down hill I began researching how my mother could join me in the UK when eventually the inevitable happenstance my dad looses his battle with cancer. My mother desperately wants to come to the UK as A-she has always been obsessed with the whole of England. And B - her only two grandchildren are here. Whom one she has never seen and the other not since we went to visit in Nov '10 when she was only 5 months old. She has been here when my eldest daughter was born in June '10 for 5 weeks and in '08 when I had only been here for a lite while..

On to my question! When my father does eventually pass on, my mother will be widowed, but she is only 52. I have read that if she falls into several other categories she can still qualify. The main problem I have come across in my research is that she is not wholly or mainly dependent on us at all. my husband and my combined wages are just over 26.5k and receive no public funds (other then child bene.) we live in a three bedroom privately rented house and have space for her. I believe our wages are adequate but it's just the dependency factor. She is estranged from her sister and my sister lives in California and would not be able to house her. But I do not see a way around the showing she is dependent on us.. I can provide all the documents.. Also, if it would assist my application, when the time comes, I would be able to supply a letter from my company showing a raise in July hours which would increase our income greatly ( I only work 16 at the moment and could increase it up to 30, and possibly if their is a position going become a deputy manager) as my mother would be able to stay at home happily with our daughters allowing me to work more hours. Or my company has said they'd be more then happy to offer my mother a position. She has a degree in medical billing or something like that and has worked in a Drs office for 12 years so hopefully that would look good as well!

I just don't know what to do about the dependancy bit.. Would asking for compassionate grounds help? Would they see a women alone after loosing her husband so young in Florida who desperately loves her daughter, the UK, and her grandchildren compassionate enough?

I have considered a long term visitor visa, but my mother does not earn much money, or have any savings after spending all her money on my dads treatment.. =[ I just don't know what to do! Any advice or suggestions? I have combed through the ukba website and feel lost.

Sorry this is so full of grammatical errors! Both my daughters are asleep on me and I am typing this on my phone! Makes it difficult to proof read!

Thank you so much in advance!
I'm really sorry about your mother's situation.

Unfortunately, dependent parent visas are extremely, extremely rare and are only issued in the most exceptional of cases. I think you already see the issues. One, your mother is in no way completely dependent on you. Two, she may be estranged from your sister, but she does in fact have a close relative in her home country who could help support her. Lastly, at only 52, with a degree and a skill, she is perfectly capable of getting a job and supporting herself in her own country. I think that last one is really going to work against her.

If your company is willing to offer her a position, are they willing to sponsor her for a Tier 2 visa?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.