Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adopting a child abroad and bringing the child to the UK

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Joppa 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a question regarding bringing an adopted child to the UK. If a couple has privately adopted a child in another country (i.e. not through the local authority in the UK or an adoption agency) and legally adopted the child, are the couple able to apply to bring that child to the UK? Both parents are British citizens and have been unable to have a natural child of their own, hence the adoption.

What would be the process - is it just a child dependent application? I presume there will be a financial requirement as well as an accommodation element too.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
This can be a complicated procedure. First, it depends on whether the adoption took place in a country that is on the designated list, which will then be recognised in UK. You can see the current list in The Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) Order 2013 (if adoption took place from 3rd Jan 2014). The child needs a visa, but if the application is successful, will be given indefinite leave to enter. If the adoption took place in a country not on the list, then you have to go through the UK court to adopt the child formally in UK. The visa will then be restricted to 2 years. Local social services department will be involved in drawing up a report to be submitted to the court, and your suitability as adoptive parents will be assessed. You will also require a medical, referees and DBS (criminal record) check.
Contact local social services. They are well versed in the details of international adoption. Remember you also need to meet the requirements for adoption in the child's native country, which can be intricate, expensive and time-consuming, with unpredictable result. Most people are advised to go through the proper channels via adoption agencies.

#3 ·
Thanks Joopa. I've done a bit more research and apparently an assessment of eligibility has to be carried out in the UK (usually by the local authority) which costs an average of £10,000 + fees to the Dep. of Ed and others fees. I was quoted a rough figure of £13,000 by the inter-country adoption service agency :eek::eek::eek: And there's no guarantee you will be approved.

I was asking on behalf of a couple I know, they have so much love to give, but just don't have a spare 13k lying around.

#4 ·
Yes, it is expensive, which makes international adoption a realistic option for few lucky ones. The fees are on top of everything else, such as travel costs, accommodation abroad (it can take a long time), adapting their home, plus all the other expenses of having a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.