Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We are a couple moving to Adelaide, SA from India in September, 2017.

We hold visa subclass 190.

Please recommend good suburbs to stay in Adelaide which are not too heavy on the pocket with educated Indian population around.

What is the job scenario ? How does one apply for jobs ?

How does one look for accommodation ? We will require a 2 bedroom house, preferably furnished. Any recommendations ? It will be great if we can get some leads or help in finding an accommodation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Please recommend good suburbs to stay in Adelaide which are not too heavy on the pocket with educated Indian population around.

How does one look for accommodation ? We will require a 2 bedroom house, preferably furnished. Any recommendations ? It will be great if we can get some leads or help in finding an accommodation.
Hi Ashru

Congratulation for the visa and hope u have a good life in Australia, from my experiences I live 5 years in Adelaide from 2011 to 2015, The Marion area which is in south of Adelaide is consider to be one of the best spot in the city as it not expensive and very close to every services that you might need, shopping, university, hospital etc,,,,,

all the best,

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hi

Eastern suburbs are the best suburbs in Adelaide, areas like Magill, Rostrevor, Kensington Gardens are the best one and have best public schools like Stradbroke. However they are very expensive at the same time. But, if you move towards North east suburbs like Paradise, Modbury, Dernancourt, Highbury they are equally good and less expensive. Finding a furnished accomodation will be a challenge as most of the houses come without any furniture or anything else.

From jobs perspective, SA has one of the highest unemployment rate in Australia , I am not trying to scare you but letting you know that things are not as rosy as perceived by most of the immigrants. What you need is a job which can take care of your bills. You can pick up any job at the initial stage and move into your domain afterwards. Secondly, Aussies look for local experience as they want to make sure you understand the work culture and how to deal with your colleagues. Trust me it's a different atmosphere here, life has much more family and work balance than any where else especially India, where you have no work culture and people are treated based on their designations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the valuable tips.

How does one find an accommodation ? We will need a place to stay as soon as we land in Adelaide. How do we finalise a place to stay from here in India ?

How does one apply for jobs ? Any specific portals or what is the general process to apply for a job ? We will be willing to do any job that comes our way to atleast be able to survive.

·
Registered
194 Posts

How does one find an accommodation ? We will need a place to stay as soon as we land in Adelaide. How do we finalise a place to stay from here in India ?

How does one apply for jobs ? Any specific portals or what is the general process to apply for a job ? We will be willing to do any job that comes our way to atleast be able to survive.
Use realestate.com.au or domain.com.au to shortlist homes. One of the pre-requirements to applying for a rental is an actual visit of the property. You can get family / friend to inspect the property on your behalf and then apply.

Another option is to look for a short term accomodation, either a short stay hotel or AirBnb and then look for a home to rent when you come in.

Reactions: ankitgoel10

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

You can look for rental properties at realestate.com.au and domain.com.au but most importantly you need to decide which part of the city you will be looking at, please stay away from northern part of adelaide any post code starting with 5100 and above will be a big NO for me atleast. Furthermore, you will need 100 points to rent a property, you should carry your credit cards as they will give you points, passport, your bank account and driver's license as well. If you have any friend or relative then they can visit the property for you and show it to you via Skype, I have seen many people doing it.

Are you coming alone or with your family? Most importantly how much is your budget, if you are looking for a good place then I would recommend The Watson at Walkerville, this is a serviced apartment complex. We stayed here for our initial 6 weeks. It is expensive but very comfortable, so you need to decide what's more important for you and your family. Three years ago we paid around $650 a week and it will be higher now for sure. You have cheaper options like air BnB but you will be sharing a house with someone else....

Jobs can be applied via seek.com.au indeed.com.au and there are many other portals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Thank you for the information.

We have no idea which part of Adelaide is good or bad. We have no idea about the city.

I was not aware of the point system as well. What does the point system mean ?

We are a couple expecting our firs child in December, 2017. We will be moving to Adelaide in September, 2017. So, we would like to be near some hospital where the delivery can happen. Can we walk into any hospital and get ourselves registered for the delivery and stuff ? How does this work ?

Also, we have a shoe-string budget right now assuming it will take some time to find a job as well. So we would want to rent a cheaper accommodation, yet which is comfortable, preferable non-sharing.

More tips and help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hi

Thank you for the information.

We have no idea which part of Adelaide is good or bad. We have no idea about the city.

I was not aware of the point system as well. What does the point system mean ?

We are a couple expecting our firs child in December, 2017. We will be moving to Adelaide in September, 2017. So, we would like to be near some hospital where the delivery can happen. Can we walk into any hospital and get ourselves registered for the delivery and stuff ? How does this work ?

Also, we have a shoe-string budget right now assuming it will take some time to find a job as well. So we would want to rent a cheaper accommodation, yet which is comfortable, preferable non-sharing.

More tips and help will be appreciated.

If you are on a PR visa then first thing which you will need to do is go to Centrelink office and register yourself. You will be advised to visit Royal Adelaide Hospital for delivery purposes. If I am not wrong doctors will examine your wife and will give her a tentative date of her delivery and will give her complete details of the entire system and it will be free if you are on a PR visa.

If you are after a economical and independent option from day one then it will be advisable to seek your family / friends help to have an independent unit from day. One needs 100 points to take an accomodation on rent. But my cause of worry is that how will you show your Aussie bank statement while sitting in India, till the time you don't land in Australia your account will not be activated.

If you need any help from me, send me a PM and let me know your phone number I will call you.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you are coming in September 2017, it will be too late to register for the delivery of your child. I would suggest that you call up the Women's & Children hospital from now and tell them that you will be moving soon. They will surely ask for an address and you can tell them that you will stay in North Adelaide.

you can go through the advertisements on Gumtree.com.au and contact a few people. However, for the initial period it is better to book a furnished apartment through airbnb.com

As for the future, Adelaide is not a very big city - everything is 45 minutes away. Eastern suburbs are the best to live in but if you get a job in South, then it is a long drive. I would suggest staying somewhere close to the Railway station, makes it all the more easier. You can google Adelaide metro train map and have a look at where the stations are and accordingly search for an accomodation. Avoid Northern suburbs like Elizabeth, Salisbury etc as they are prone to crimes. If you are in a 5-7 km radius of the city, it will be expensive.

If you need any further information, PM me, I might be able to help.

Adelaide is a beautiful city but be patient with the job hunt. It can take upto 6 months to get a job as the job market here is very very slow.

All the best

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the info.

Why do you say that it will be late to register for the delivery ? Is there a time period to register ?

Also, Women's & Children hospital is the only hospital that we can go to ? Or we can go to any hospital ? What about the Royal Adelaide Hospital ?

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Thank you for the info.

Why do you say that it will be late to register for the delivery ? Is there a time period to register ?

Also, Women's & Children hospital is the only hospital that we can go to ? Or we can go to any hospital ? What about the Royal Adelaide Hospital ?
I don't think RAH covers maternity care, W&C might be the best choice:
Women's and Children's Hospital, Adelaide

·
Registered
618 Posts
Search for maternity care options Adelaide and chances are that you will come up with Women and Children only. It is the best I feel for maternity care as it is. And yes you need an appointment before hand and at times it takes a few weeks to get the first appointment. Also there are many options of care available viz midwife, GP, Group Midwife etc etc. I suggest you visit the hospital's website and read a bit

·
Registered
637 Posts
Also, without specific dates I cannot say exactly. But if your wife is over 28 weeks when flying, you will have to confirm with the airline if she will be allowed to fly at all. This is a very important factor.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Moving into Adelaide 1st week of september as i have a 190 from here. if any one has similar dates then do give me a shout.
The usual run of the mill, looking for accommodation and job to start with

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am planning to move in Jan 2018 with wife and 7 year old child. As i could understand from the previous posts, eastern and northern suburbs are good (except a few) from good schools and safety point of view. Can anyone tell me the admission procedure for school? Do i have to mail them first or I simply visit when i reach there in the month of January?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I am planning to move in Jan 2018 with wife and 7 year old child. As i could understand from the previous posts, eastern and northern suburbs are good (except a few) from good schools and safety point of view. Can anyone tell me the admission procedure for school? Do i have to mail them first or I simply visit when i reach there in the month of January?

You can send them an email, there is no harm in it. However, they will ask you which area are you going to live as every school has a defined zone area and you need to be in that area to get an admission. If you are going to stay in their zone area then you will be asked about your kid's English proficiency, it's always advisable to send your kids to a school which runs Intensive English Learning program, there are 5-6 schools who run this kind of a program in Adelaide. This course last for couple of months, it helps them understand Aussie accent in a better way.

Reactions: Shailz

·
Registered
22 Posts

You can send them an email, there is no harm in it. However, they will ask you which area are you going to live as every school has a defined zone area and you need to be in that area to get an admission. If you are going to stay in their zone area then you will be asked about your kid's English proficiency, it's always advisable to send your kids to a school which runs Intensive English Learning program, there are 5-6 schools who run this kind of a program in Adelaide. This course last for couple of months, it helps them understand Aussie accent in a better way.

Some schools will allow you to enrol if you are out of their area. If they have vacancies, then you can enrol at any time during the year. Once you have selected a suburb to live, i suggest going to google maps, zooming into a few suburbs and typing in "school". Then you will see a dotted map of a lot of schools. You will be able to visit their website directly and contact their administration through email.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts