Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family finally has our appointments at the Chicago Consulate's office for our visas. DH is getting a 3year CDS, while I get a one year dependent type of Visa and the kids get some type of extended Schengen visa that then has to be changed into something really bizarre once we're in France or else they can't travel anywhere other than our home country and back.

The Ministry of Labor has forward the application to the consulate. We have the required paperwork, translations, etc. However, the official information says that we may be required to provide additional information. The consulate is over a 5 hour drive and we would prefer not to have to return in a few days. I would like to bring any and all paperwork that anyone thinks might be required.

Anyways...what do you suggest we bring? I am adding bank statements for the last 3 months, proof of insurance and the adoption decree for our youngest. I don't have translations of any of these, though. The only reason we are bringing the adoption paperwork is because our youngest is of a different race, and it becomes obvious she is adopted when you see the whole family together. Do you think it might be required? SHould I get it translated?

Lastly, if you've been through an appointment lately, what do you think our odds are on taking the visa's home with us later that day or the next? DH's French tutor goes annually to the consulate for her paperwork and says that if we bring the children and ask nicely, this should be possible. But I'd love to hear someone else say it's possible as well!

Thanks!

·
Administrator
50,396 Posts
Basically, the "paperwork" they're after is anything that supports the critical elements of your application. The adoption paperwork is precisely the sort of thing they could ask for - but I wouldn't get it translated until and unless asked. Translations are expensive, and the consulate staff should speak English well enough to be able to verify that the documents are what you say they are. Worst case, they take a copy and ask you to send translations (but I'm betting they won't).

Bank statements are a good idea. Three months' worth of pay stubs wouldn't hurt. I assume you already have a list with the basics - passports all around, a utility bill or two (to prove your current residence), marriage certificate, the usual stuff. If there is anything else "unusual" about your situation (i.e. such as the adopted child), try to bring some form of paperwork to support it. But I'm a firm believer in the notion that if you think of it and bring it with you, the issue probably won't come up and you won't have needed it. (Conversely if you don't bring it, that's exactly what they'll ask for.)

Not sure if you'll get your visas at the visit. (What sort of paperwork does the French tutor get annually?) But it's certainly not at all out of line to ask how and when you'll receive your visas - since they have to go into your passports. I've heard folks say the passports are mailed or couriered back to you in a couple of days after the interview. (If any of you speak French, be sure to open your interview in French - to be honest, the main point of the interview is to evaluate your language ability. If you can do most of the interview in French, you may avoid having to do French classes when you get to France.)

Just remember that the consulate only issues visas - those are permits to enter France. Once you get there, you still have to apply for your carte de sejour - or more likely, report to the OFII to have your visa validated as a cds for the first year. (Process is changing, so be sure to pay attention to what they tell you to do.)

Don't worry - you've come this far, and with an employer as your sponsor, they aren't likely to turn you down at this stage.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Bev. I hadn't thought at all about utility bills. We're on electronic billing with automatic debit, so I'll have to see what I can print out. And I am worried about doing the interview in French. After traveling to France, we have concluded that I can understand French much better than DH, and he can speak it better. I wonder if it would be acceptable if I translate into English and he answers? THink they'd go for the team approach?

Turns out things aren't going so smoothly already. Apparently our visa stuff has already been lost by the consulate! Our contact in France emailed us to let us know that while the Ministry of Labor has a receipt showing the visa paperwork had been received by the consulate, the consulate has informed them that they don't have anything. So, it will be re-sent today.

In addition, there are more snow storms coming and we may end up having to cancel our appointments because travel may be hazardous.

Ugh. I really just want to get this all over with!

·
Administrator
50,396 Posts
If you do the tag-team translation thing, chances are the officer doing the interview will just switch into English and you'll both be expected to learn French when you get there. (The status of those free state sponsored French classes is in doubt at the moment. Haven't heard about anyone actually taking them for several months now.)

But if your husband's job is what's taking you over there, chances are the employer will offer you some form of French lessons on arrival.

OK, the consulate lost your stuff - just go with the flow. (I suspect stuff like this may be a test.) It's up to them to tell you what to do, since they acknowledge they have a receipt. The consulate should have no problem with changing your appointment due to the snow. Just wait until you see the chaos over here in France when we get a whopping 2 inches of the white stuff!

Just don't get panicky or upset. Call the consulate to reschedule if you have to. Be real polite and apologetic and chances are you'll have no problem rescheduling to meet your needs.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.