Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to Dubai 9 days ago and I have found myself addicted to the stuff. I know it is strained yogurth but my, does it taste nice. The skimmed version is a bit too watery for my liking but the low fat variety nails it. I am on a constant move so it is the perfect health snack (trying to watch my diet as I am on a forced temporary leave from sport). It is much more digestible than milk, so gulping down a liter (or two) does not cause the same gas bombs that an equivalent portion of milk would do.

I am finding myself reaching out for one everytime I am hungry. Calms any hunger pans and provides a lot of nutrition.

100% reccomended (unless the stuff is actually adulterated and has addictive stuff). Oh, and always choose "made from fresh milk", the recombined milk version is gross.

(I am drinking some laban as I type).

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I bought it thinking it was milk one day when I wasn't paying enough attention. Almost threw up when I tasted it.

·
Banned
598 Posts
I would rather stab my self in the eye with a rusty dirham than drink that stuff. Glad you like it though.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I am another hater, but Laban is hugely popular as are its equivalents in other countries - ayran and lassi.

Each to their own...

-
Same here - bought it thinking it was milk and then couldn't take in a single sip
And am not sure if laban is similar to lassi except that both are yogurt based. Lassi could be sweet or salty, so one has a choice there

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Same here - bought it thinking it was milk and then couldn't take in a single sip
And am not sure if laban is similar to lassi except that both are yogurt based. Lassi could be sweet or salty, so one has a choice there
Salty lassi is very similar to labal or ayran.

-

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
hate it with a vengance.................I suppose it is like marmite, you either love it or you hate it

·
Registered
279 Posts
Leb/Syria/turkey - Ayran
India - Lassi
Iran - Doogh.

Essentially all variations on Laban (arabic for yoghurt) in a drinkable format.

Note that in Egypt they call Milk "Laban" which can be confusing, but they're African so they speak funny.

I find it a fantastic drink, the arab/turk versions tend to be salty, and the Iranian version often will have herbs/mint and have a bit of a fizz to it.

I do find it sometimes too heavy with meals, but it is a great drink imo, so I totally disagree with you chaps.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
hey, each to their own. Wouldn't be good if we all liked the same things

·
Registered
264 Posts
My friend unwittingly had Laban at work recently, I noticed her error (she thought it was milk) but didn't want to say anything just in case she liked the stuff. I have never seen that much vomit before.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.