Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

We've been in Perth for almost a year on a skilled migrant temp work visa and now have our permanent visas to activate but of course have to leave the country to do it....what a pain in the ass!!!
Can anyone help me ?
What do we have to do to activate them?
Adelaide are not giving us any clues and the immigration site doesn't make it easy to find out what we actually have to do once out of the country.
Do we actually have to visit Australia house (we're going home to the UK) or just inform them.

Any advice would be gratefully received if anyone has been through the process.
Many thanks in anticipation
We leave on the 17th Jan 2010

Helen: confused:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
If you already have your new visa sticker then you just go to any country outside and come back (next day is fine). However if you need to get a new sticker from Immi then you need to go to an AU Consulate/Embassy, contact your DIAC Case Officer and ask the procedure if you are going to visit country X to do that (i.e. Malaysia, Singapore). That can be accomplished in a few days, combine that with a small holiday.

If you were on the east coast of AU then I would suggest a quick trip to New Zealand.

If you are converting from a 457 to a PR (i.e. 856) you don't normally have to leave the country to do that so please confirm absolutely you actually have to leave AU to get your new sticker. You could also just go to the local AU DIAC office if you're not getting a response and get your answer that way.

Hi all

We've been in Perth for almost a year on a skilled migrant temp work visa and now have our permanent visas to activate but of course have to leave the country to do it....what a pain in the ass!!!
Can anyone help me ?
Adelaide are not giving us any clues and the immigration site doesn't make it easy to find out what we actually have to do once out of the country.
Do we actually have to visit Australia house (we're going home to the UK) or just inform them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks

Hi all

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately we do have to leave, immigration has insisted we all leave and come back together and even give them our flight itinary at least 7 days before hand....this is to activate permanent residency from a 457.
We were told from the outset of coming on a work visa that this would be the case, they advised we leave for a minimum of 15 days to ensure the visa is activated before our return. We have our original 457 visas in our passports but were told the only way to activate the permananet one is on a return through the international airport.....it sucks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts