Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone could advise, as a bit confused by the consulate info. I am the son of a French citizen (born in Australia to a French mother), and already have citizenship as a UK citizen (through mother), and I was born in the UK, and reside there now. I am beginning my application for my first French passport (aged 31), and not clear whether I just need to transcribing my UK birth certificate with the French embassy (L'acte de naissance), or to apply for the CNF (Certificat de nationalité française) directly first? Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone could advise, as a bit confused by the consulate info. I am the son of a French citizen (born in Australia to a French mother), and already have citizenship as a UK citizen (through mother), and I was born in the UK, and reside there now. I am beginning my application for my first French passport (aged 31), and not clear whether I just need to transcribing my UK birth certificate with the French embassy (L'acte de naissance), or to apply for the CNF (Certificat de nationalité française) directly first? Appreciate any help!
First question is, was your birth registered with the French authorities? Your mother should know. If the answer is yes, you can simply ask your nearest French Consulate (or the Embassy, but AFIK the Sydney Consulate is a better bet than the Embassy) how to get a carte d'identité (which is free) and/or your passport. If the answer is no, you need to apply for a CNF and it is a pretty lengthy process.

·
Administrator
49,458 Posts
Did your mother happen to register your birth with the French consulate? Does she by any chance have a livret de famille that would show the birth of her children overseas? If so, you're in luck.

What you could do initially is to attempt to obtain your French birth certificate online from Nantes. Acte de naissance : demande de copie intégrale ou d'extrait If they don't have a record of you, then you'll have to go through the CNF process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much both! My dad can't remember if he did for me, or if it was only my brother and sister (who were born in France)- so fingers crossed there! Do you know how long the CNF process is? I've seen 1-2 years posted elsewhere...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks so much both! My dad can't remember if he did for me, or if it was only my brother and sister (who were born in France)- so fingers crossed there! Do you know how long the CNF process is? I've seen 1-2 years posted elsewhere...
That's about right. I think they have to respond within 3 years so that is what the usually tell you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts