Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

For ACS Skill assessment, I have gathered reference letters from all of my ex-employers. Now regarding the current employer, I don't want to notify them about my intentions of immigration in future, hence I am not willing to ask for reference letter from HR.

ACS has given alternate for reference letter to do 'Statutory Declaration' thing. Can i choose the option of 'Statutory Declaration' in which i tell ACS that I am not sending reference letter from current employer because i want to keep my immigration intentions confidential from my current employer, thus i am sending college references, salary slips, contract and letter of appointment as an alternate.

Is this a genuine way to handle such situation? Is it risky? Is it wrong ?

My own judgment say that it is honest thing and I have the right to do it such way. But I am not sure about the risk involved in it.

Guys please comment your thoughts.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi oliman

we did the same, no one would tell the employer about their intentions or plans to migrate, so to say, so you explain that U fear loosing your job if at all you tell them about it. Make sure you have enough proofs to support your current employment. you can provide all letters, namely, the appointment letter, confirmation letter, appraisal letters, salary slips, bank statements, performance based certificates, basically any and every letter u got form the company, not that they are important to prove your role but yes they are important to prove your employment in the company.

search the forum for stat dec, there is a format someone posted a while ago and a lot has been discussed on the same topic

Hope this helps

cheers
anj

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi oliman

we did the same, no one would tell the employer about their intentions or plans to migrate, so to say, so you explain that U fear loosing your job if at all you tell them about it. Make sure you have enough proofs to support your current employment. you can provide all letters, namely, the appointment letter, confirmation letter, appraisal letters, salary slips, bank statements, performance based certificates, basically any and every letter u got form the company, not that they are important to prove your role but yes they are important to prove your employment in the company.

search the forum for stat dec, there is a format someone posted a while ago and a lot has been discussed on the same topic

Hope this helps

cheers
anj
Being self employed I had to get letters from my biggest clients explaining the work I had done for them, and for how long. I didn't want them to know I was skipping the country just yet, so I told them I needed a letter as part of my application for joining a computer society. They didn't ask questions, I didn't mention Australia, and everything was ok. Not sure if this approach would work for you. A letter explaining that you don't want your boss to find for fear of losing job sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took the same approach as matjones. I mentioned that I need to obtain senior membership and for this they need a generic letter which describes my job function in detail and years with the company.I have filed all my papers they have reach ACS today. So my clock starts tick from now on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,

May I know if a reference letter from a colleague is a MUST if one were to choose to opt for Statutory declarations path?

Saw from ACS guideline (see below) that we may submit a reference from colleagues who occupies or has occupied a higher position that I and is in an expert in my nominated occupation within the same company. What happend if there are only 2 staffs in the IT department (manager and I), and I do not wish my manager to know my intention to migrate. What shall I do? Would the letter from HR be sufficient?

Extracts from ACS PASA guideline:
"Important: If you provide a Statutory Declaration with your application, you must also provide some form of corroborative information from a third party for the claims made in the Statutory Declaration. "

"1.4. You may submit a reference from your colleague who occupies or has occupied a higher position than you and is an expert in your nominated occupation, within the organisation you were employed at, on a properly signed and witnessed Statutory Declaration. The Statutory Declaration is to detail as a minimum: "

cheers...
ling

·
Registered
150 Posts
Referring to you conversation on Employer Reference Letter, please help and advice...

I submitted my ACS online application on 27th Jan 2011 and sent my certified documents package by registered post on 29th Jan 2011. I had sent a self-statutory declaration of my job details, today I received an email from ACS officer saying - that she wants an employer reference or a reference from a senior colleague. Referring to pt27 of PASA guidelines, she wrote -

27. I cannot provide a reference from my employer. Will you accept anything else?

If you are unable to obtain a Reference from your employer you should submit a reference from your colleague who occupies or has occupied a higher position than you and is an expert in the area closely related to your nominated occupation, within the organisation you were employed at, on a properly signed and witnessed Statutory Declaration.

What should I do in this case? It is difficult to declare this to supervisor that I am trying for immigration abroad and ask for this reference letter. As it will create a negative image for me in his mind and might also affect my further growth/appraisal/stay in this company

Please advice.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi aarkay

try managing some other documents, get a stat dec made and send it to them stating the reason for not providing the same. mention in the stat dec that you fear loosing your job,

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Aarkay

my advice would be to start a new thread if you need some info desperately rather than copying your post in multiple threads.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Statutory declarations will help for ACS.
But for scoring the 10 points for recent work experience, DIAC clearly states that it needs the evidence from the employer's letterhead
Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

Your thoughts please ?!
I'm using an agent and he has assured me that a statutory declaration is acceptable and he has helped me to write one up. I have no reason to doubt him as if I do not obtain a visa, he has to refund me my fees, so I doubt that he would wilfully pass on misleading information.

I work for a Government-owned company in the Middle East. Asking for a reference is completely out of the question as I am on their visa (there is no PR visa here), so if I upset them (and believe me, people get upset about insignificant things here & people have been sacked for ridiculous reasons!), then not only will I be fired but I will also be on the first plane home (no visa = you HAVE to leave), with a lifetime ban from re-entering the country. I doubt that DIAC will be willing to insist on a reference on a letterhead if you have a detailed statutory declaration and compelling reasons for doing one as I'm sure that they appreciate that in some parts of the world, it is simply not viable to obtain one from your current employer. My employer does not even provide a reference when you leave!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I talked to my supervisor and he is willing to give me a letter of reference :). But this will be on simple A4 sheet, without company letterhead or logo, and my supervisor will sign it along with contact details. I will also attach his business card.

I am now writing the material for the supervisor reference, and mentioning the following points:

1) To whom so ever it concerns
2) Little description, where it says XXX is working full time since as this. He earlier held so and so designations.
3) Roles & Responsibilities - one liner role
4) Daily Duties and Responsibilities - about 8-10 bulleted lines of some duties
5) Projects Undertaken for [company name] and its clients - 8 bulleted names(only) of the projects undertaken - I am mentioning only names and not description
6) Tools & Technologies Used - 6-7 bulleted points
7) Ending note
8) Signature of supervisor

Does it seems fine? Or should I make changes? Do I need to elaborate on any stuff?

Please guide... thanks

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
looks good.. just mention everything that u do, attach his business card adn id card, if any and that should work, in teh end add his contact details like his email id, personal if possible, incase he leaves work and needs to be contacted and his ph number. not that they call but it is better always :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Now, this is funny. I sent the document as was suggested and I have received a reply from the managing officer -

"This is to advise that if you are not able to provide proper employer reference, as per ACS guidelines you are required to submit Statutory Declaration from your colleague who occupies or has occupied a higher position than you and is an expert in the area that closely related to your nominated occupation within the organisation you were employed at. The Statutory Declaration should be properly signed and witnessed. Please refer to Statutory declarations for further information about Statutory Declaration.

Please refer to ACS FAQ, question no 27."

Guys, now what do they want? What is actually meant by statutory declaration? Is it something made on stamp paper? I cannot ask my supervisor to come along with me to go to a notary to sign the document?

What are they really asking for? Just an A4 document which mentions STATUTORY DECLARATION at the top - and has some material in required format?

Please advice.

looks good.. just mention everything that u do, attach his business card adn id card, if any and that should work, in teh end add his contact details like his email id, personal if possible, incase he leaves work and needs to be contacted and his ph number. not that they call but it is better always :)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
aarkay, i suggest searching the forum for stat dec format, yo uwill get an idea how it has to be made..

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was trying to dig the threads, but could not understand one thing - should colleague/supervisor reference be on stamp paper? In the mailer that I received she says send statutory declaration. What does this particularly means? My referrer sending stat dec. - ofcourse he can write for me on plain white paper, but how on a stamp paper? I am confused over this, please help people :(

G

·
I was trying to dig the threads, but could not understand one thing - should colleague/supervisor reference be on stamp paper? In the mailer that I received she says send statutory declaration. What does this particularly means? My referrer sending stat dec. - ofcourse he can write for me on plain white paper, but how on a stamp paper? I am confused over this, please help people :(
Hi aarkay,

I would love to help you out but unfortunately I am not from India so don't know the particulars there. In Pakistan, a statutory declaration would be on stamp paper. Things are rather loose here ;) so I surmise I would print out the text I want and take it to an 'Oath Commisioner' who would type it out and then I would simply go to my superior and he would sign it and then I would take it back to the oath commissioner and he would make it official. I don't know how it happens in India. Sorry.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
ausimmi, it is the same here but all you do is make the document, take it in word file at the secretariat or court, there are lots of lawyers sitting outside and then there are shows who take prints. so you take a stamp paper form the lawyer, get the print from the nearest shop, take the stamp paper to the lawyer and he signs it..

a stat dec is basically a declaration that the info you gave is true to the best of your knowledge. and you give the reason why you are unable to provide the document they asked for.

·
Registered
150 Posts
ausimmi, it is the same here but all you do is make the document, take it in word file at the secretariat or court, there are lots of lawyers sitting outside and then there are shows who take prints. so you take a stamp paper form the lawyer, get the print from the nearest shop, take the stamp paper to the lawyer and he signs it..

a stat dec is basically a declaration that the info you gave is true to the best of your knowledge. and you give the reason why you are unable to provide the document they asked for.
Ok, I have got the reference ready in format of stat dec, and sent a scanned copy to my assessing officer - she says its ok and send the hard copy.

I just got one copy made of the stat dec. Now should I send the original of the same or should I send the certified copy of the xerox of the original?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Referring to you conversation on Employer Reference Letter, please help and advice...

I submitted my ACS online application on 27th Jan 2011 and sent my certified documents package by registered post on 29th Jan 2011. I had sent a self-statutory declaration of my job details, today I received an email from ACS officer saying - that she wants an employer reference or a reference from a senior colleague. Referring to pt27 of PASA guidelines, she wrote -

27. I cannot provide a reference from my employer. Will you accept anything else?

If you are unable to obtain a Reference from your employer you should submit a reference from your colleague who occupies or has occupied a higher position than you and is an expert in the area closely related to your nominated occupation, within the organisation you were employed at, on a properly signed and witnessed Statutory Declaration.

What should I do in this case? It is difficult to declare this to supervisor that I am trying for immigration abroad and ask for this reference letter. As it will create a negative image for me in his mind and might also affect my further growth/appraisal/stay in this company

Please advice.

Hi aarkay,

I have done my ACS assessment using Statutory Declaration and they never ask further documents. Did you submit any proof on your job with the company other than pay slips? I have submitted a reference letter from HR indicating my employment with the company and what is my last drawn salary on top of the employment contract and monthly pay slips.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts