Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

To give a background about my position, i have around 17 years of experience in IT industry, but my education is Mechanical Engineering from India. I have 20 points from PTE.

But when i submitted for ACS, i got a response that i have to submit RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning).

Due to my age, i can get 70 points only if I get 15 points for education and 15 points for experience.

Questions that i have are:
1> how exhaustive is the documentation for RPL
2> can i get 15 points (8 out of 17 years of experience) from ACS for experience?
3> do i need to get my education evaluated by vetassess also?

i will lost points due to my age by Jan 10th. Do i stand a chance to complete all the formalities and get the invitation?

Expert advice and help is much appreciated.

Thanks for the forum in getting me this far, and hope to be on the other side.

Regards,
S

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have not mentioned your age and the Anzsco code. That would help one to look into your situation.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
1> Not as exhaustive as the documentation required for other occupations (CDR for Engineers applying to EA for instance).

2> Depends. You need to take away 6 years of "relevant" work experience and after this deduction, if you are still left with at least 8 years of "relevant" experience, then you'll get 15 points. I stressed "relevant" because not all 17 years may be relevant to the occupation that you nominate... I am not sure, you are the best person to assess this. For instance, if early years of your career you worked in IT Sales for 4 years and then started (and still do) as a Business Analyst, you will be nominating ICT BA as your occupation but those 4 years of IT Sales will not be deemed relevant to your occupation and won't be counted at all. You will therefore be left with 17-4-6 = 7 years of skilled experience = 10 points only.

3> Not necessarily. Depends on your degree, university, its recognition.

70 points may or may not be sufficient for you to get your foot into the door before you lose age points- it all depends on your occupation (ANZSCO). If it is an occupation from the 2613 group, then yes, you can manage to do that (but will have to devote considerable amount of time and effort towards your RPL reports). But if it is, say, 2611, then you are out of luck because this occupation has a long waiting time even for 70 pointers. There is hope though... you may be eligible to benefit from 5 partner points if your spouse too can be assessed in a skilled occupation and can pass any of the English competency tests.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I will be completing 44 (73 born) in jan and hence the rush.
I have 17 years in Software development and architecture and have evidence to support that. so hopefully, should be able to get that.

And the 4 yeat engineering Degree is Industrial and production engineer from Kuvempu university in Karnataka, India, which i received in 1997. After 3 years in Mechanical related jobs, i switched to Software development in 2000 and gained experience.

So, to get the education evaluation, can ACS validate that too? I am planning to apply under 261313 ANZSCO

Regards,
S
1> Not as exhaustive as the documentation required for other occupations (CDR for Engineers applying to EA for instance).

2> Depends. You need to take away 6 years of "relevant" work experience and after this deduction, if you are still left with at least 8 years of "relevant" experience, then you'll get 15 points. I stressed "relevant" because not all 17 years may be relevant to the occupation that you nominate... I am not sure, you are the best person to assess this. For instance, if early years of your career you worked in IT Sales for 4 years and then started (and still do) as a Business Analyst, you will be nominating ICT BA as your occupation but those 4 years of IT Sales will not be deemed relevant to your occupation and won't be counted at all. You will therefore be left with 17-4-6 = 7 years of skilled experience = 10 points only.

3> Not necessarily. Depends on your degree, university, its recognition.

70 points may or may not be sufficient for you to get your foot into the door before you lose age points- it all depends on your occupation (ANZSCO). If it is an occupation from the 2613 group, then yes, you can manage to do that (but will have to devote considerable amount of time and effort towards your RPL reports). But if it is, say, 2611, then you are out of luck because this occupation has a long waiting time even for 70 pointers. There is hope though... you may be eligible to benefit from 5 partner points if your spouse too can be assessed in a skilled occupation and can pass any of the English competency tests.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
All good then (wrt getting 15 points from work experience). As for the degree: ACS will not say anything about it. You can get it assessed separately from VETASSESS and if they certify it as being equivalent to AQF Bachelors (or Masters), then you can safely claim 15 points from your degree.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks KeeDa for the response.
All good then (wrt getting 15 points from work experience). As for the degree: ACS will not say anything about it. You can get it assessed separately from VETASSESS and if they certify it as being equivalent to AQF Bachelors (or Masters), then you can safely claim 15 points from your degree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts