Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am seeking to get maximum points for my employment but I am in a dilemma on how to proceed.

I have completed my Bachelor of Science in Physics (in India) in 1998
I have also completed my GNIIT in 1998
I have been working in the IT industry from Sept 1998 till date (as I write this in early July 2017)

I have also completed my Master of Science in Information Technology (in India) through a distance education program.

Though my Masters was a 2 year course, I got a waiver on the first year since I had done my GNIIT. Hence I only had to do 2 semesters for this. This was completed in 2006

I would like to know the best possible way to get maximum points on my experience

1. Should I show my qualification only as BSc and allow the work experience to be calculated from 1998 onwards. I presume that even if this is considered as Non-ICT, I will still have over 10 years of relevant experience and hence get maximum points (is this assumption correct?)

2. Should I show my qualification as MSc. I am not sure if this will be taken as ICT Major since it is not very clear in the documentation on the ACS website (my worry is because I have only done 2 semesters). Is there any likelihood that all my experience before 2006 will get nullified because of this and any further deductions will impact my Skill Assessment Met Date.

I dont want to lose points on the work experience and hence I am looking at what would be the best option to apply

Can anyone pl advise

Regards

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hi

I am seeking to get maximum points for my employment but I am in a dilemma on how to proceed.

I have completed my Bachelor of Science in Physics (in India) in 1998
I have also completed my GNIIT in 1998
I have been working in the IT industry from Sept 1998 till date (as I write this in early July 2017)

I have also completed my Master of Science in Information Technology (in India) through a distance education program.

Though my Masters was a 2 year course, I got a waiver on the first year since I had done my GNIIT. Hence I only had to do 2 semesters for this. This was completed in 2006

I would like to know the best possible way to get maximum points on my experience

1. Should I show my qualification only as BSc and allow the work experience to be calculated from 1998 onwards. I presume that even if this is considered as Non-ICT, I will still have over 10 years of relevant experience and hence get maximum points (is this assumption correct?)

2. Should I show my qualification as MSc. I am not sure if this will be taken as ICT Major since it is not very clear in the documentation on the ACS website (my worry is because I have only done 2 semesters). Is there any likelihood that all my experience before 2006 will get nullified because of this and any further deductions will impact my Skill Assessment Met Date.

I dont want to lose points on the work experience and hence I am looking at what would be the best option to apply

Can anyone pl advise

Regards
Here's what ACS have in their guide for applicants, on their site

A post graduate qualification (Graduate Diploma or Masters) that do not require a Bachelor with an ICT
major for entry into the course, must have:
• A minimum of 3 semesters or at least 1.5 years of full-time study
• At least 2 semesters or 1 year of full-time equivalent ICT content
• A minimum of 12 units or subjects (overseas degrees may contain less units or subjects)
• 50% ICT content for a 2 year Graduate Diploma or Masters qualification
• 33% ICT content for a 3 year Graduate Diploma or Masters qualification
I think that indicates whether your Masters would be accepted or not.

None of your experience will be "nullifed". They will assess all experience for which you provide evidence - both before and after any study. The RPL route, if successful, should leave you with enough experience in hand for maximum points.

Edit: Not sure what a GNIIT is, so cannot comment on this.

Reactions: catchpaul

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what ACS have in their guide for applicants, on their site

I think that indicates whether your Masters would be accepted or not.

None of your experience will be "nullifed". They will assess all experience for which you provide evidence - both before and after any study. The RPL route, if successful, should leave you with enough experience in hand for maximum points.

Edit: Not sure what a GNIIT is, so cannot comment on this.

Hi

Thanks a lot for your response

With regard to the details on the site (shown below), I am not sure if the expectation is that any one of the 5 points should be satisfied or if multiple points need to be satisfied
In my case, I have provided the comments inline

A post graduate qualification (Graduate Diploma or Masters) that do not require a Bachelor with an ICT
major for entry into the course, must have:

• A minimum of 3 semesters or at least 1.5 years of full-time study
<Response> I have done only 2 semesters as a distance education

• At least 2 semesters or 1 year of full-time equivalent ICT content
<Response> Two full semesters but done as distance education/over correspondence and I was working in parallel

• A minimum of 12 units or subjects (overseas degrees may contain less units or subjects)
<Response> 10 units of full ICT content. Done in India and hence I presume this is an overseas degree

• 50% ICT content for a 2 year Graduate Diploma or Masters qualification
<Response> Masters qualification and is a 2 year course with 100% ICT content. However, since I had a lateral entry, I had only 2 semesters

• 33% ICT content for a 3 year Graduate Diploma or Masters qualification
<Response> Not applicable in my case

Given this, will my masters degree be considered as an ICT Major ?

Note: GNIIT is like a diploma course from a private institute (NIIT) and is full ICT content. This is well recognized within India

Regards
Paul Edwards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts