Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone

I need some advise on my ACS assessment result which came out positive/suitable. Unfortunately, my B.Eng degree was assessed as associate degree, as such, 5 years was yanked off my 6.5 years of my working experience.

My question is, Can I claim the 15 points for education since I have already been penalized in way with the 5 yrs deduction of my years of experience? I particularly feel it would be rather unfair to lose points at both ends.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hi Everyone

I need some advise on my ACS assessment result which came out positive/suitable. Unfortunately, my B.Eng degree was assessed as associate degree, as such, 5 years was yanked off my 6.5 years of my working experience.

My question is, Can I claim the 15 points for education since I have already been penalized in way with the 5 yrs deduction of my years of experience? I particularly feel it would be rather unfair to lose points at both ends.
Yes you can claim 15 points for ur bachelors degree, but unfortunately no point for experience :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you can claim 15 points for ur bachelors degree, but unfortunately no point for experience :(
Thanks Kmann, appreciate it. I guess I have to re-write IELTS test for 8.0 across board to offset the 10 points lost against employment. Pretty tough hurdle, but quite possible.

Do you happen to have an idea about my chances if I chose to appeal the degree assessment. I just can't imagine why they would equate a 5 yrs course to 2 yrs associate degree. Pretty annoying.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks Kmann, appreciate it. I guess I have to re-write IELTS test for 8.0 across board to offset the 10 points lost against employment. Pretty tough hurdle, but quite possible.

Do you happen to have an idea about my chances if I chose to appeal the degree assessment. I just can't imagine why they would equate a 5 yrs course to 2 yrs associate degree. Pretty annoying.
Can you jot down ur points breakdown so as to have better idea of your case. And if possible pls paste extract from ur ACS result letter removing personal details.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can you jot down ur points breakdown so as to have better idea of your case. And if possible pls paste extract from ur ACS result letter removing personal details.
No big deal --

Age - 25 points
Language - 10 Points

If I could claim 15 for education, that would take my point hull to 50, then I can re-write my IELTS test for additional 10 points to make 60 which should be sufficient for 263111 occupation.

For the actual ACS result -- it reads

Your bachelor of Engineering from University of xyz completed 2004 has been assessed as comparable to AQF associate degree with a major in computing.

Then

The following employment after January 2012 is considered ..... relevant to 263111

They effectively shaved off 5 years because I started working Jan, 2007

·
Registered
657 Posts
No big deal --

Age - 25 points
Language - 10 Points

If I could claim 15 for education, that would take my point hull to 50, then I can re-write my IELTS test for additional 10 points to make 60 which should be sufficient for 263111 occupation.

For the actual ACS result -- it reads

Your bachelor of Engineering from University of xyz completed 2004 has been assessed as comparable to AQF associate degree with a major in computing.

Then

The following employment after January 2012 is considered ..... relevant to 263111

They effectively shaved off 5 years because I started working Jan, 2007
I am not able to understand by they deducted 5 years. for major in computing ACS deducts only 2 years and for minor 4 years. In your case since they have assessed it as major in computing, they should have only decuted 2 years rather than 5.
Yes you can try re write IELTS and get 10 additional points.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not able to understand by they deducted 5 years. for major in computing ACS deducts only 2 years and for minor 4 years. In your case since they have assessed it as major in computing, they should have only decuted 2 years rather than 5.
Yes you can try re write IELTS and get 10 additional points.

Honestly, I found it quite infuriating. I just want to sure am exploring the easiest and the fastest option, otherwise my default reaction would have been to appeal immediately. They actually deducted the 5 years because of the associate degree rating (I suppose).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Honestly, I found it quite infuriating. I just want to sure am exploring the easiest and the fastest option, otherwise my default reaction would have been to appeal immediately. They actually deducted the 5 years because of the associate degree rating (I suppose).
I can understand how u might be feeling right now. But i guess your only chance is to re write IELTS and try to get 8 in each as i dnt think appealing will help. Or try to got for 489 provisional VISA route, that will give you 10 points.

Regards,
Karan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can understand how u might be feeling right now. But i guess your only chance is to re write IELTS and try to get 8 in each as i dnt think appealing will help. Or try to got for 489 provisional VISA route, that will give you 10 points.

Regards,
Karan
State nomination is not looking good for me because am currently living in Australia (NSW). If you are living within Australia, most of these states require you to provide a formal job offer or proof that you have spent an average of 12 months within their states before they nominate you. Unfortunately, most employers would also not consider your application without PR.

State nominations are relatively more flexible for offshore applicants. NSW would have considered my application, but it doesnt have 263111 on its occupation list. If am sure I could claim 15 points for education, then I can work to improve my IELTS score to 8.0 across board; had 7.5 across board.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Everyone

Check if other Nigerians are getting it evaluated at a similar level or not. In case it was only you who was given this low rating, then maybe appeal is a good idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check if other Nigerians are getting it evaluated at a similar level or not. In case it was only you who was given this low rating, then maybe appeal is a good idea.
Thanks. I know of a couple of Nigerians getting their B.Eng degree assessed as AQF Bachelor by Engineer Australia (EA) which I feel ACS should do since all the assessing bodies use the same AQF guide as yardstick. They however reserve the right to assess a particular degree as ICT Minor or Major as they deem fit.

What do you think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts