Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi xpats,

I have to file for ACS however before doing it I needed a confirmation.

I am trying to get the points for local experience. Total years of exp is 9 yrs. BE in CS.

Local Experience in Australia is as follows

7th July 2012 - 18th Oct 2012

13th Sep 2014 - 18th Feb 2015

23rd March 2015 - Current Date.

Can someone please confirm , do I qualify for 1 year of local experience. Does ACS look at exact dates or just months?

Thanks
-Mukul

·
Registered
973 Posts
hi,
As you are a B.E in CS therefore ACS should deduct 2 Years from your total experience as skills met date.
As you started in Jul 2012 so July 2014 would be your skills start date /month.
So consider your experience starting from Aug 2014 which means as of now you have not completed 1 Year.
but on 1 Aug 2015 you would have completed 1 Year.
So you can apply for ACS now as the result would take about 5-10 working days or you can submit on 1 Aug it really wont matter.
later on while submitting your EOI you need to put your current employer to date as null and so system auto calculates your points for 1 Year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi,
As you are a B.E in CS therefore ACS should deduct 2 Years from your total experience as skills met date.
As you started in Jul 2012 so July 2014 would be your skills start date /month.
So consider your experience starting from Aug 2014 which means as of now you have not completed 1 Year.
but on 1 Aug 2015 you would have completed 1 Year.
So you can apply for ACS now as the result would take about 5-10 working days or you can submit on 1 Aug it really wont matter.
later on while submitting your EOI you need to put your current employer to date as null and so system auto calculates your points for 1 Year.
Bit Confused! if I start in Jul 2012 how can July 2014 would be my start date. I think this is a typo, but please confirm

·
Registered
973 Posts
ACS will deduct 2 Years from your total experience and consider that as time taken to meet your skills.
for non ICT degrees like B E in Electronics they will deduct 4 years and for degrees like mechanical they will deduct 6 years.
this is the normal deduction.
for your case as you did Be In computers they will be deducting 2 Years from your total experience so your relevant experience would start from Aug 2014.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I assume if you have 9 years of experience, you have overseas experience you haven't listed in your post? If so, ACS would take the first 2 years of your experience (overseas?) and consider that as part of the requirement to become skilled, and you would be considered skilled from 7 years ago (e.g. 2008).

ACS documents typically just quote months, so they may or may not total up your Australian work experience to 12 months. You may still be able to safely claim 5 points for Australian work experience by providing enough evidence that the 3 employment periods totalled more than 12 months. To be on the safe side, it may be worth asking a migration agent for confirmation of this though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Maggie!! That really helps. I actually spoke to ACS Officials. They quote " We can only tell after seeing your documents"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts