Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am a new member to this forum. I am planning to migrate to Australia under Developer Programmer role and I had completed my electrical engineering in 2010. I am working in IT field starting from Aug 2010 to till date. Let me know whether i'm eligible for the ACS assessment. When I checked with few Overseas consultancies in Chennai they are saying that people who are from NON IT background should have completed 6 yrs in IT sector to apply for ACS.

Please share your experience on this.

Naveen:fingerscrossed::confused:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi All,

I am a new member to this forum. I am planning to migrate to Australia under Developer Programmer role and I had completed my electrical engineering in 2010. I am working in IT field starting from Aug 2010 to till date. Let me know whether i'm eligible for the ACS assessment. When I checked with few Overseas consultancies in Chennai they are saying that people who are from NON IT background should have completed 6 yrs in IT sector to apply for ACS.

Please share your experience on this.

Naveen:fingerscrossed::confused:
Hi,

Please read below info from ACS for details:
https://acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

It states clearly if you have Non-ICT Diploma or higher, you would need 6 years of experience to meet the relevant work experience criteria. In your case you currently have less than 5 years experience, so it would not be feasible to apply at this moment. You can wait till your 6 years are complete.

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. My friend who is in the same scenario like me. (Non IT studies and 4.9 of IT experience till date). He has applied for ACS few weeks back and he has got the assessment result in that it has mentioned like below

Your Bachelor of Engineering from XXXXXXXXXX University completed XXXXXX 2010 has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing.

The employment after August 2014 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately skilled level and relevant to 261312 (Developer Programmer) of the ANZSCO Code.

It seems that the first 4 years of employment has been nullified as he has joined IT in Aug 2010.
1. My questions is whether this means his ACS assessment is positive or not?
2. Also, whether the same will be considered when we apply for EOI or do they have different norms to be followed. I am also planning to apply for ACS. Can someone clarify on this??

·
Registered
973 Posts
hi,
In a nutshell it means your ACS is +ve.

You can claim points for education ( 15 points) as it is marked as relevant bachelors degree.

But your experience will only be counted beginning September 2014. So it would be less than 1 Year and I think you may not get any points for experience.

While filling up the EOI you need to mark your experience till Aug 2014 as non relevant and only mark your experience stating Sep 2014 as relevant and keep the end date for current employer as blank.
EOI follows what has been assessed by ACS. So remember put in exactly as per your ACS result.
Overclaiming of points will result in VISA rejection.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. My friend who is in the same scenario like me. (Non IT studies and 4.9 of IT experience till date). He has applied for ACS few weeks back and he has got the assessment result in that it has mentioned like below

Your Bachelor of Engineering from XXXXXXXXXX University completed XXXXXX 2010 has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing.

The employment after August 2014 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately skilled level and relevant to 261312 (Developer Programmer) of the ANZSCO Code.

It seems that the first 4 years of employment has been nullified as he has joined IT in Aug 2010.
1. My questions is whether this means his ACS assessment is positive or not?
2. Also, whether the same will be considered when we apply for EOI or do they have different norms to be followed. I am also planning to apply for ACS. Can someone clarify on this??

Reactions: rnaveenbe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried IELTS 3 times and I am missing out 7 in either speaking or writing. So I have planned to attempt PTE A exam in Chennai. Can you share your experiences on that exam and the Preparation strategies that you followed. I'm in need of 65 in all the modules(L/W/R/S) of the Exam.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi,
In a nutshell it means your ACS is +ve.

You can claim points for education ( 15 points) as it is marked as relevant bachelors degree.

But your experience will only be counted beginning September 2014. So it would be less than 1 Year and I think you may not get any points for experience.

While filling up the EOI you need to mark your experience till Aug 2014 as non relevant and only mark your experience stating Sep 2014 as relevant and keep the end date for current employer as blank.
EOI follows what has been assessed by ACS. So remember put in exactly as per your ACS result.
Overclaiming of points will result in VISA rejection.
I have 10 years plus experience in similar job (developer) since 2004. But ACS only assessed from 2007. What could be the reason. I am in the same company since 2004 to 2011. And I have reference letter from that company mentioning clearly my functions. Is there any chance for me to apply for re-assessment?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hi,
it really depends on your Qualification.
ACS will usually deduct either 2 ,4 or 6 Years which they consider you took to get the experience for the skill for which you are applying.
For example for a B.E in Computers ACS Deducts 2 Years
for Electronics ACS deducts 4 years of your experience.
and for mechanincal B.E ACS will deduct 6 Years of your experience and you have to go via RPL route.

So it all depends on your education as well and is quite normal for some years to be deducted.

In your case considering only from 2007 would mean that they have either considered only 2 Years plus some part of your roles and responsibilities were not considered relevant.

I have 10 years plus experience in similar job (developer) since 2004. But ACS only assessed from 2007. What could be the reason. I am in the same company since 2004 to 2011. And I have reference letter from that company mentioning clearly my functions. Is there any chance for me to apply for re-assessment?

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is the current pass mark for visa 189? I see different forums says different cut off (not affiliated to DIBP).
is that 60 or 65?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts