Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need some immediate help!

Back in Nov/Dec I downloaded the RPL application form (RPL_Pack_2.doc) and started to fill out the CBOK.

I finally finished filling the whole thing out, and went back to the ACS website to confirm everything else I needed to do. For some reason I decided to download the RPL_Pack_2.doc again, but when I did I noticed the CBOK was COMPLETELY different!

The CBOK I filled out has 6 sections, and the one that is up on the website now has 14 sections. I compared the properties of the documents, and the current one appears to have an older revision number (??)

Is this something they do from time to time? Will they accept my CBOK? There was no announcement posted about this change and I can't seem to get ahold of anyone there who will tell me. I am worried they will reject my application, or make me re-write the whole thing.

Another reason I am asking is that my version of the CBOK more closely matches the new Key Areas of Knowledge they plan to rollout on Feb. 1st, minus 2 categories. I was thinking of waiting until then to submit my application, but I'm afraid they will change something else about the RPL application and I will have to do a lot of reworking.

Any advice??

Thanks!

-roya

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Roya:

Yes, they do change the format from time to time and looks like you have the older RPL standard. I would wait for the Feb standard but start writing up the one based on the current CBOK as they won't change it too much from that.

Hi, I need some immediate help!

Back in Nov/Dec I downloaded the RPL application form (RPL_Pack_2.doc) and started to fill out the CBOK.

I finally finished filling the whole thing out, and went back to the ACS website to confirm everything else I needed to do. For some reason I decided to download the RPL_Pack_2.doc again, but when I did I noticed the CBOK was COMPLETELY different!

The CBOK I filled out has 6 sections, and the one that is up on the website now has 14 sections. I compared the properties of the documents, and the current one appears to have an older revision number (??)

Is this something they do from time to time? Will they accept my CBOK? There was no announcement posted about this change and I can't seem to get ahold of anyone there who will tell me. I am worried they will reject my application, or make me re-write the whole thing.

Another reason I am asking is that my version of the CBOK more closely matches the new Key Areas of Knowledge they plan to rollout on Feb. 1st, minus 2 categories. I was thinking of waiting until then to submit my application, but I'm afraid they will change something else about the RPL application and I will have to do a lot of reworking.

Any advice??

Thanks!

-roya

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks for responding. I wish there had been an announcement about it, since I only just downloaded it off their website in December and it took me about a month to write it!

I think since the CBOK version I have closely matches the new Key Areas of Knowledge being required in Feb 1st, I will just wait until then to submit my application. It seems silly but probably the safest option. I just hope they don't change anything else about the requirements for RPL. :(

Lesson learned: Write the CBOK last, after you gather all your reference letters. :)

roya

Hi Roya:

Yes, they do change the format from time to time and looks like you have the older RPL standard. I would wait for the Feb standard but start writing up the one based on the current CBOK as they won't change it too much from that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If your applicatino is ready now why don't you submit the application now?
You can do so online and it will save you having to re-do the relevant parts to fit in with the new guidelines.

Cheers,
Veronika

OK thanks for responding. I wish there had been an announcement about it, since I only just downloaded it off their website in December and it took me about a month to write it!

I think since the CBOK version I have closely matches the new Key Areas of Knowledge being required in Feb 1st, I will just wait until then to submit my application. It seems silly but probably the safest option. I just hope they don't change anything else about the requirements for RPL. :(

Lesson learned: Write the CBOK last, after you gather all your reference letters. :)

roya

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I think my original post was unclear about the versions.

This is the December version of the CBOK that I filled out:

1 Knowledge Area: ICT Problem Solving (PS)

2 Knowledge Area: Professional Knowledge (PK)
2.1. Ethics
2.2. Professionalism
2.3. Teamwork concepts and issues
2.4. Communication
2.5. Societal issues
2.6. History and status of discipline

3 Knowledge Area: Technology RESOURCES (TR)
3.1. Hardware and software fundamentals
3.2. Data and information management
3.3. Networking

4 Knowledge Area: Technology Building (TB)
4.1. Programming
4.2. Human-computer interaction
4.3 & 4.4.* System development and acquisition

5 Knowledge Area: Services Management (SM)
5.1. Service management
5.2. Security management

6 Knowledge Area: Outcomes Management (OM)
6.1 Governance and organisational issues
6.2 ICT project management.
6.3 Change management
6.4 Security policy

This is the current CBOK on the website right now:

1 Computer Organisation and Architecture
2 Conceptual Modeling
3 Database Management
4 Data Communications and Networks
5 Data Structures and Algorithms
6 Discrete Mathematics
7 Ethical/Social Implications/Professional Practice
8 Interpersonal Communications
9 Program Design and Implementation
10 Project Management
11 Security
12 Software Engineering and Methodologies
13 Systems Analysis and Design
14 Systems Software

And this will replace the CBOK as of Feb 1st (Key Areas of Knowledge):

TR.Technology RESOURCES
TR1. Hardware and software fundamentals
TR2. Data and information management
TR3. Networking

TB.Technology Building
TB1. Programming
TB2. Human-computer interaction
TB3 & TB4.System development and acquisition

SM. Services Management
SM1. Service management
SM2. Security management

OM. Outcomes Management
OM1. Organisational and Management Concepts
OM2. Change management

As you can see, the CBOK I filled out doesn't match the current version up on the site. However, it does closely resemble the version taking effect Feb 1st (minus the first two items). So it seems like it might be in my best interest to just wait and submit after Feb 1st.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wanted to update my own post and say that I ended up rewriting my CBOK to match the current application, and honestly it didn't take that much time. It took about 3 weeks (evenings & weekends) to write the original, and only 2 days to rewrite the format and shuffle some things around.

I got everything notarized & witnessed and submitted my online application on 1/16! My documents are currently en route via FedEx and should get there in a few days. Excited to finally get it done and can't wait to find out the result. My status is currently "To be allocated" and I have a manager assigned. Yay!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wanted to update my own post and say that I ended up rewriting my CBOK to match the current application, and honestly it didn't take that much time. It took about 3 weeks (evenings & weekends) to write the original, and only 2 days to rewrite the format and shuffle some things around.

I got everything notarized & witnessed and submitted my online application on 1/16! My documents are currently en route via FedEx and should get there in a few days. Excited to finally get it done and can't wait to find out the result. My status is currently "To be allocated" and I have a manager assigned. Yay!
Hi.. i have just started the RPL assessment prep process.. would you be able to help me out ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Areas Of Knowledge-Help

Dear Roya,

Will you or anyone be kind enough to email me a sample of the new Areas of Knowledge that you have done?

I have to rewrite the same format like yourself and I am having loads of headache of how should I align accordingly.

My email address is xiaobaizhu. It is a hotmail account.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Cheers,
Suri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts