Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I've received positive ACS assessment the other day for my MSc in Computer Science and my Phd in Electrical Engineering.

The result letter states:

Your PhD Degree in Electrical Engineering ... has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Doctoral Degree with a minor in computing.

and:

Your Master of Science in Computer Science ... has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing.

They have also deducted 2 years from my 5 years work experience as a software engineer.

Now does that mean I can claim 20 points for my PhD, even though it has been assessed to correspond to a minor in computing only? Or would it be smarter to claim only 15 points for the MSc instead?

I already get 25 points for age and 20 points for IELTS. So MSc + 3 years exp. would get me to 65 points, PhD + 3 years exp. would be 70.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi makai,

yes, you can claim full points for your PhD. Your education does not even have to be related to the nominated occupation, you only need a positive evaluation that your degree is comparable to an Australian degree. To quote from the 189 points page:

You may be able to receive points for a qualification that is not related to your nominated occupation. If the authority that conducts your skills assessment cannot give you an opinion about this qualification, contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services.
Major/minor etc. does not matter. If you had a PhD in French Literature and got it assessed (e.g. by VETASSESS) you could still claim the points.

Cheerio,
Monika

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Guys

I've received positive ACS assessment the other day for my MSc in Computer Science and my Phd in Electrical Engineering.

The result letter states:

Your PhD Degree in Electrical Engineering ... has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Doctoral Degree with a minor in computing.

and:

Your Master of Science in Computer Science ... has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing.

They have also deducted 2 years from my 5 years work experience as a software engineer.

Now does that mean I can claim 20 points for my PhD, even though it has been assessed to correspond to a minor in computing only? Or would it be smarter to claim only 15 points for the MSc instead?

I already get 25 points for age and 20 points for IELTS. So MSc + 3 years exp. would get me to 65 points, PhD + 3 years exp. would be 70.

Any thoughts?
Hey makai,

I am wondering what happened to your case, what ANZSCO code did you apply for? I have a very similar case:

1) BS - Computer Science 2000-2004
Worked as Software Engineer from 2004-2007 (2 years 8 months)

2) MS - Electrical Engineering (Computer, Wireless Networks, DSP, and Thesis is Satellite Remote Sensing) 2007-2009

3) PhD - Electronics Engineering (Thesis in Radar Image processing using statistical methods) 2009-2013
Worked 20 hours/week from Nov-2012-Oct-2014
Worked 36 hours/week from Nov-2013 to date

What was your PhD research topic? Did it relate to your ANZSCO code? and what was concentration MS and BSc?

I am looking to go for may be Software Engineer or COmputer Networks and Systems Engineer, not sure which one?

Regards,
Salman.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts