Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is, what is most optimal for me in terms of skills assessment: ACS or Engineers Australia? Or go back to studying?

Here is my background:
- I have an engineering master (general engineering) from a French engineering school
- I also have a master of Engineering Project management from the university of Melbourne (1 year master so it's not recognized by Engineers Australia). During that master I took half of my classes (4/8) in ICT (Software engineering)
- After both masters, I've worked 4 months as an Information System Security Consultant
- I'm currently working as a Software Engineer (iOS dev) and it's been my job for the past 13 months now.

According to ACS booklet for assessment, none of my current degrees are ICT-y enough. If I manage to get one of them assessed as having a minor in ICT that would still mean waiting for 4 more years to get the necessary experience.

On the other hand, I guess I could get the skills assessment through Engineers Australia. I could only use my university projects to demonstrate my skills but because I've studied general engineering, I wouldn't know what type of engineering to demonstrate. (I've done a 6 month internship on a worksite as site engineer, led a team of 6 during a one year research project on Optical coherence tomography to study the intestine, a semester long project on Rankine organic cycle to produce electricity, and so on ...).
Would using those type of project work for a positive skill assessment by EA?

On the ACS front, I could always register for a bachelor in computer science in France (evening classes) to diminish the number of years of work experience required. But because I already hold 2 masters, the first 2 years of classes out of 3 would probably be waived. Leaving with just the 3rd year to do. Given ACS asks for the grades, they would see that the first two years were waived. Would they still accept this degree as valid and having a major in computing?

Finally my last resort would be to go for a visa subclass 457 but that would mean finding a company willing to sponsor me and I have no idea how hard it is to get in Australia this way. Plus I'd prefer to get subclass 189.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
My question is, what is most optimal for me in terms of skills assessment: ACS or Engineers Australia? Or go back to studying?

Here is my background:
- I have an engineering master (general engineering) from a French engineering school
- I also have a master of Engineering Project management from the university of Melbourne (1 year master so it's not recognized by Engineers Australia). During that master I took half of my classes (4/8) in ICT (Software engineering)
- After both masters, I've worked 4 months as an Information System Security Consultant
- I'm currently working as a Software Engineer (iOS dev) and it's been my job for the past 13 months now.

According to ACS booklet for assessment, none of my current degrees are ICT-y enough. If I manage to get one of them assessed as having a minor in ICT that would still mean waiting for 4 more years to get the necessary experience.

On the other hand, I guess I could get the skills assessment through Engineers Australia. I could only use my university projects to demonstrate my skills but because I've studied general engineering, I wouldn't know what type of engineering to demonstrate. (I've done a 6 month internship on a worksite as site engineer, led a team of 6 during a one year research project on Optical coherence tomography to study the intestine, a semester long project on Rankine organic cycle to produce electricity, and so on ...).
Would using those type of project work for a positive skill assessment by EA?

On the ACS front, I could always register for a bachelor in computer science in France (evening classes) to diminish the number of years of work experience required. But because I already hold 2 masters, the first 2 years of classes out of 3 would probably be waived. Leaving with just the 3rd year to do. Given ACS asks for the grades, they would see that the first two years were waived. Would they still accept this degree as valid and having a major in computing?

Finally my last resort would be to go for a visa subclass 457 but that would mean finding a company willing to sponsor me and I have no idea how hard it is to get in Australia this way. Plus I'd prefer to get subclass 189.
Go for EA in 233914 Engineering Technologist if you can't decide. Unless you pick Telecom, Electronics or Electrical engineering. In any case, what you get depends on your CDR since France is not in Accord.

MSA : https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/sites/default/files/resource-files/2017-03/MSA Booklet.pdf

If you are aged between 25 and under 33, then if you can manage Superior English (20 points), I can see you managing 65 points which will get you invite hopefully this year in 189.

So, decide on one and then try submit asap as Date of Effect matters. And get Fast Track at EA else it can take 3 months or more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts