Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what aceite de semilla is made out of?

Also, I'm looking for canola oil and walnut oil...has anyone run into either of these anywhere and know what they might be called in Spanish? I live in Coruña. Thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts

Also, I'm looking for canola oil and walnut oil...has anyone run into either of these anywhere and know what they might be called in Spanish? I live in Coruña. Thanks!
Aceite de semilla - de ???? - usually tells you semilla de que?!

Walnut oil is "aceite de castaña" - big in Brazil I think, haven't seen it here.

Sorry, no idea what canola oil is. I assume it's aceite de Canola - as in the plant, canola.

Sorry I can't help with where - perhaps El Corte Ingles can order it for you.

Xose

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts

semilla is seed - so seed oil, but I have no idea what seed!

walnut is nuez - so aceite de nuez I suppose

what is canola?

edit - I have googled canola & it's apparently what we call rapeseed - so I suppose it's possible that aceite de semilla might be that

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
Aceite de semilla - de ???? - usually tells you semilla de que?!

Walnut oil is "aceite de castaña" - big in Brazil I think, haven't seen it here.

Sorry, no idea what canola oil is. I assume it's aceite de Canola - as in the plant, canola.

Sorry I can't help with where - perhaps El Corte Ingles can order it for you.

Xose

isn't castaña a chestnut?

·
Registered
499 Posts
semilla is seed - so seed oil, but I have no idea what seed!

walnut is nuez - so aceite de nuez I suppose

what is canola?

edit - I have googled canola & it's apparently what we call rapeseed - so I suppose it's possible that aceite de semilla might be that
Ooops - got me chestnuts and me walnuts all mixed up. Sorry, yep, Aceite de Nuez it would be, not castaña.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your replies! I really appreciate it. Yes, I will check out whether or not the bottle says "semilla de....". And I'll try some health food stores to see if they carry walnut oil. I just got back to Spain from the US and brought over two bottles of walnut oil, and yesterday one of them dropped and broke. Waaahhhh!!! :( :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Canola is one of two cultivars of rapeseed or Brassica campestris (Brassica napus L. and B. campestris L.).[1] Their seeds are used to produce edible oil that is fit for human consumption because it has lower levels of erucic acid than traditional rapeseed oils and to produce livestock feed because it has reduced levels of the toxin glucosinolates.[2]

Aceite de semilla is often a LOOSE term used for cooking oil. Not always cheap - But NOT a pure oil. Not OLIVE and not SUNFLOWER. It can however contain sunflower.

Canola is rare as it's not really been used as a crop here - has started in the north (I'm told by a mate who climbs in the north a lot) as it's a good base for biofuels. But this will be the NON-EDIBLE form.

My guess is you0ll need to search healh food shops as given the amount and variation of olve oil here - there's less demand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.