Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I'll be landing in Sydney this June . Being a qualified accountant , I want to know about the following things :

How much time it normally takes to grab a job ?
Any specific recruitment consultants for finance and accounts jobs ?
I have 4 years of Industry Experience at a big multinational , is it good enough to meet practical experience required by CPA / CA ?
What sort of skills do employers look for (or it varies with the position) ?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was looking in a job site and it seems to have a lot of accountancy openings (around 2,000), but this was merely searching for "accountant". Don't know about the exact experience/skills needed, but why don't you send your CV to companies now already?
Look here on the forum for tips for the CV and stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Mate,

welcome aboard...There are few recruitment agency who deals in accounting..some of the bigger names are
1. Hays Accounting n Finance
2. Michael Page
3.Randstand
4.Julia Roberts
Aslo visit the web SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site which has daily 1000 of advertisement in acc.

Your experience as accountant with MNC will count towards your practical work committment in CA/CPA and no need to obtain that again.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Job market for Accountants

Hi Mate,

welcome aboard...There are few recruitment agency who deals in accounting..some of the bigger names are
1. Hays Accounting n Finance
2. Michael Page
3.Randstand
4.Julia Roberts
Aslo visit the web SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site which has daily 1000 of advertisement in acc.

Your experience as accountant with MNC will count towards your practical work committment in CA/CPA and no need to obtain that again.

Hope this helps.
Hi abc4visa, thanks for sharing this info! How is the job market for accountants at a senior level in Sydney? Do they credit you for any international experience or you are as good as staring at the ladder when you land there? It would be great if you could share a few tips and also keen to know how other fellow accountants like you are doing.
Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi mate,

Working internationally with well known MNC will definately count as no need to start the ledder again...If you have any professional membership(ICAI) I would suggest to use that to get register with (CPA or ICA in australia) . This will help to boost recruiter's confidence in you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Chartered Accountants assesment time

Has anyone had experience having their education and employment assessed by the Australian Chartered Accountants? How long did it take?

I have BCom and CA and 4 years work experience in taxation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Also, is it mandatory to get work employment assessment done before submitting EOI? or is it enough to just have the skills(Education) assessment done? Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also, is it mandatory to get work employment assessment done before submitting EOI? or is it enough to just have the skills(Education) assessment done? Thanks!
Yes, unless you dont want to claim points for work Ex. Are you an Indian CA?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Oh great! So exactly at what stage you are in? I am appearing in academic ielts test later today!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good luck! I am studying for IELTS yet. Also why academic - i thought we need to take the genereal ielts. Have you got skill select assessment for CA done yet?

·
Registered
156 Posts
You must get 7in all 4 ACADEMIC papers. Just check once again so you can avoid waste of time n money. I already have general ielts results on hand. But because of this condition I had to AIT again in exams..

Reactions: sunny81

·
Registered
115 Posts
Trijunction - yes you are correct. We need the academic for chartered accountant purposes. I have also taken the academic IELTS last weekend let us see how the results come out. Thanks so much for your inputs. After getting results will send my application to chartered accountants aust. Are you planning to send to same institute? Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hu sunny how you? What's up on ur ielts? I got 7.5 overall score n have sent the disc to CPA Australia 10 days back. I have self declaration in my application, for experience with a company. So eagerly waiting to hear from CPA australia.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi

I am a CA in India with 5 years experience. I am also appearing for my IELTS test on March 9th. I would like to stay in touch with you guys as this process goes by, to understand how this needs to be done.

Are you guys going through any consultant? I am planning to go through one. What do you guys suggest?

Also, which institute do we need to apply for skills assessment, as there are many- ICAA, NIA and CPAA?

Have you guys done any research on jobs in Australia for CAs- what kind of jobs can we apply for, whats the salary like, Do we need to start from scratch again etc etc.

Trijunction- Congrats on your IELTS score. Is it very difficult to score 7.5?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi mate,

Working internationally with well known MNC will definately count as no need to start the ledder again...If you have any professional membership(ICAI) I would suggest to use that to get register with (CPA or ICA in australia) . This will help to boost recruiter's confidence in you.
Hi

I am a CA from India with around 5 years of post qualification experience. I am planning to apply for the skills assessment soon (in about a month's time).

I have experience working with Big 5 accounting firms. My experience has been mostly into advising clients on transactions (M&A)- performing a financial due diligence (like an audit). I, therefore, do not have direct industry experience, for eg working as a finance manager.

I wanted to know whether this will in any way restrict my work opportunities in Australia. I wanted to try and apply for Finance Manager type roles in Australia, which I think are more challenging than accounting and book keeping roles.

What is your advise? Will it be easy for me to find such type of jobs or do I have to start from scratch again? Will recruiters recognise my work experience in India?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Trijunction - yes i am in the same boat. sent papers to Charetered accountants australia. waiting for reply from them. Good Luck!!!

SRE - yes i applied to chartered accountants australia but you can apply to anyone of them. I think self is better than consultant as you can have things under your control. Application process is very easy and you also have this forum which is huge help for guidance.
Please note you need to take IELTS academic for accounting skill select. i had signed up for general but then had to change it to academic last minute. any of those institutes wont evaluate your scores unless it is academic.

Good luck to everyone and do be in touch.

Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey guys

Have my speaking test on Thursday and my other tests on Saturday. Wish me luck. Feeling a little nervous. Hope it goes of well.

Trijunction- Do you live in Chennai? If so, we should probably catch up sometime over the phone. My number is +918754594766. Do pass on your number.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good luck with speaking sre - speaking goes really fast. make sure you do a lot of speaking practice with friends etc. Speaking be relaxed and speak like you would speak with colleagues at work.

There are lot of youtube videos for speaking tests. look up a few of them.

Good luck. Also make sure you carry your passport

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys,

I am Indian CA currently working in the US . I will appear for my IELTS Academic exam on 23rd Mar . I am in a bit of a dilemna as to whether to file under subclass 189 or 190. I have been told that the independent ( 189) visa takes a longer time to process. So, although I am attracted by the notion of not being tied down to a particular state , the longer time that it will take to prcoess the 189 visa more than neutralises that advantage.
What do you guys think ? Is it advisable to apply for 189 ? I have also been told that a higher points submission ( 70 or higher) speeds up the processing for the independent visa.

1 - 20 of 302 Posts