Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my story so far.

I arrived here exactly 6 weeks ago. Initial settling processes such as finding an accommodation, opening bank account, obtaining Medicare card and changing licence went well without any major issue. However finding a job in proving to be a difficult task.

I am an Accountant and worked 12 years in the UK. So everyone said it would be slightly easier for me to find a job here. I applied for over 100 jobs, yet only had 4 meetings with Agents and 2 telephone interviews with Employers ( both from direct applications). Apparently Accounting market is very competitive here as there are too many good to outstanding candidates are there looking for job and employers are very picky when selecting a candidate. They expect a candidate tick all the boxes. My friends say they got the first job after 3-5 months. So I am waiting (and applying for jobs) for my turn.

Please would you share your experience and any tips?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here is my story so far.

I arrived here exactly 6 weeks ago. Initial settling processes such as finding an accommodation, opening bank account, obtaining Medicare card and changing licence went well without any major issue. However finding a job in proving to be a difficult task.

I am an Accountant and worked 12 years in the UK. So everyone said it would be slightly easier for me to find a job here. I applied for over 100 jobs, yet only had 4 meetings with Agents and 2 telephone interviews with Employers ( both from direct applications). Apparently Accounting market is very competitive here as there are too many good to outstanding candidates are there looking for job and employers are very picky when selecting a candidate. They expect a candidate tick all the boxes. My friends say they got the first job after 3-5 months. So I am waiting (and applying for jobs) for my turn.

My best wishes to you on your job search

Reactions: Kris11.aus

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Kris

I am an accountant as well, from India. Planning to move to Melbourne, sometime by Feb 2014. Do you think Melbourne has better job opportunities compared to Sydney?

I wish you all the very best in your job search.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here is my story so far.

Also, what was your work profile like in UK? What kind of profiles are you applying for?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Kris

I am an accountant as well, from India. Planning to move to Melbourne, sometime by Feb 2014. Do you think Melbourne has better job opportunities compared to Sydney?

I wish you all the very best in your job search.

Hi,

Melbourne would not be as good as Sydney as Melbourne is not sponsoring Accountants at all for 190 but Sydney is.

This depicts the job market.

I wish you both a very good luck :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do Update us as soon as you find the job :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi,

Melbourne would not be as good as Sydney as Melbourne is not sponsoring Accountants at all for 190 but Sydney is.

This depicts the job market.

I wish you both a very good luck :)
I have 189 visa. Don't need state sponsorship.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Planning to move to sydney in March 2014

Hi Kris,

I am a Chartered Accountant from Mumbai.. I will be moving there in March 2014.. Can you please update me regarding the current job market for accountants..

Also, can you please let me know the ways you can search for a job.

Regards,
Naisharg

Though there appears to be more jobs in Sydney, both of my employers telephone interviews were from Melbourne. It also depends on strength of one's local network, specially to get the first job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Perhaps the market was a lot different when I landed (April 2008) but it took me less than 6 weeks to land my dream job. Ok, maybe my dream isn't your dream.

I think the key to employment is flexibility. Too often people pick an area to live and then expect to find a job there. It doesn't work that way, unless your spouse already has a job and you are secondary income. Australia is still in desperate need of accountants, just not in the capital cities. If you are willing to live in a regional area, you will find employment much easier to secure. Of course, if your dream job is to work at a big 4 firm, then you will struggle.

Keep your options open, be flexible, apply for positions you might not ordinarily apply for.

Cheers
Marilyn

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

Any more experiences for the Accounting Jobs in Sydney?

(Qualified and Unqualified Accountants)

Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here is my story so far.

how did you find accommodation? i am landing on feb 17th and no idea where to go from airport. :)

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Perhaps the market was a lot different when I landed (April 2008) but it took me less than 6 weeks to land my dream job. Ok, maybe my dream isn't your dream.

I think the key to employment is flexibility. Too often people pick an area to live and then expect to find a job there. It doesn't work that way, unless your spouse already has a job and you are secondary income. Australia is still in desperate need of accountants, just not in the capital cities. If you are willing to live in a regional area, you will find employment much easier to secure. Of course, if your dream job is to work at a big 4 firm, then you will struggle.

Keep your options open, be flexible, apply for positions you might not ordinarily apply for.

Cheers
Marilyn
The 2008 market was very different!

·
Registered
362 Posts
i have a question for my friend , right now in General accounting (Say 10 years) field but got an opportunity to work in a Financial Planning and Analysis role. Would be helpful is clarity is shown on below questions.

1) does this change would be advantageous for his Aussie move
2) Also, does working in a big firm would add more weightage for future job prospects in Aussie
3) pursuing CPA or CA would help. - becos if he joins in FPNA role, the job would be pressuresome and has a dilemma that would not be able to pursue CPA australia.

So, getting experience in FPNA role is better or pursuing CPA australia

advice would be greatly appreciated ..

·
Registered
20 Posts
how did you find accommodation? i am landing on feb 17th and no idea where to go from airport. :)
Hi Iesus,

My case is similar.. I will be landing sydney on 7th march and dont know where will igo..

In case you have found an accommodation, kindly let me know.. We can share the same to cut down our expenses.

Regards,
Naisharg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi ,

I am from Sri lanka too.. How is the Job Market for Accountants now ? Any Improvements ? My spouse is CIMA and ACCA qualified.. Does she need to do CPA Exams in Australia before applying Jobs? Thanks..

·
Registered
618 Posts
CPA is not much of help if you do not have "Australian experience".... also if you are going to get CPA through mutual recognition, you won't cover taxation...

best thing is to come here, look for temp assignments... be ready to work part-time or do volunteering jobs... do cashier jobs or even finance assistant jobs... once you that initial break, it becomes easier to look for an alternate job later on...

just my thoughts...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts