Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My job is a financial controller/book-keeper, ive been in accounts for 15 years but im not qualified does anyone know about training courses to go on in Australia that would be useful and a advantage for me regarding Australia tax rules for companies/personal tax/payroll, and their sofware MYOB? Ive been told by a friend who lives in Australia and as worked in England doing the same job as me that it isnt hard or much different, would like other opinions and help?:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi there KatyJane,

I too am a bookkeeper and am qualified, I hold the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers Level 3 Diploma, But for all my studies and exam taking, when I arrive in Australia and after having them approved, my qualification will only get me affiliate membership to the Australian branch of the ICB regardless of being a full member of the UK branch.

To get full membership I will be studying in Australia and then will need to prove work experience in Australia. As with all trades and professions in Australia, the systems are much more strict than the UK and that can only be good for the trade/profession and of course the customer/client.

So, I will be in the same position as you. That should make you feel better :eek:)

Go to the ICB Home Page they offer advice on qualifications etc. I have been in touch with them and they are very approachable and helpful.

There are some online courses available to gain Australian Qualifications, but they do seem expensive. I felt that with all the hassle involved in getting to Australia I will be better to wait until I arrive so I can concentrate on the study without stress or distraction.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lepeyrou

Im not a qualified book-keeper but im AAT qualified so will get in touch with them and see. Hopefully I will be going in April just waiting for my de facto visa to come through.

I think im going to have to train, but like you am going to wait till i get there and have a word with the agencies and see what they say! in england we can go on day courses in basic tax rules etc and was just wondering if that was the same in Australia because it would give me some knowledge in the australian rules etc and might show a propesective employer im willing and wanting to learn their rules......im more of a unqualified management accountant i do all the management accounts for company i work for and costings etc so just hope and pray my experience will help and then re train in oz.

oh scary, ive got comfortable in england and just been able to get by on experience and be well paid for it, but scared it wont be the case in oz, but that just means i'll have to work hard to get there, which isnt a bad thing.

thank you for your advise....this forum is really good ive got loads of tips and advise from it!!!

when are you going to oz? were abouts are you wanting to live?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts