Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First time posting on the site, excited to see what help is out there!
I am an English antiques dealer who has an established antiques business in the UK, now living in Provence and have now opened a small antiques shop in L’isle sur la Sorgue. I am now however finding I am a little lost negotiating the French tax system for businesses and how to declare my UK vs Fr incomes and also if I need to change my VAT status address from UK to France?! Any advice or ideally contacts for an English speaking accountant not too far from L’isle sur la Sorgue who could help would be wonderful!
Thank you

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Hello,
First time posting on the site, excited to see what help is out there!
I am an English antiques dealer who has an established antiques business in the UK, now living in Provence and have now opened a small antiques shop in L’isle sur la Sorgue. I am now however finding I am a little lost negotiating the French tax system for businesses and how to declare my UK vs Fr incomes and also if I need to change my VAT status address from UK to France?! Any advice or ideally contacts for an English speaking accountant not too far from L’isle sur la Sorgue who could help would be wonderful!
Thank you
It's not clear from your post whether you are operating 2 separate businesses, or whether you're trying to keep it as one operation.
What French business structure have you registered your shop in France under? Is your UK business a reg.co? Or are you registered as a sole trader in one or the other or both countries?

·
Administrator
51,568 Posts
How is your shop in France set up? Ideally, you should probably talk to the local CCI (Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie) who should be able to provide lots of information about taxes, business entities and registrations. Maybe not all in English - but you'll never know until you ask.

If your new shop is affiliated with your UK business, you'll still need to establish a French business entity for the "branch" which should handle all your registrations (for taxes, VAT and social insurances). But the CCI should have a section dealing with new businesses that can provide you with the necessary information - including possibly accounting services - for a very reasonable fee.

Oh, and just a note - don't start doing business until you get your VAT situation sorted. The VAT examiners are probably more feared by French businesses than any other sort of tax auditors.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
don't start doing business until you get your VAT situation sorted. The VAT examiners are probably more feared by French businesses than any other sort of tax auditors.
+1
+1
+1
When I was working here as a translator I had a British client running a branch of his UK business in France (or that was how he genuinely saw things) who had a visit at 8.30 one morning from the French VAT inspectors accompanied by the police, totally unannounced, and the inspectors proceeded to seize documents and remove harddrives from the computers. Simultaneously his bank account was frozen. The inspectors had had to apply to the courts for permission to do this and their supporting evidence amounted to little more than copies of pages of the client's website indicating that he was trading in France, plus a statement that they had checked the relevant registers and found no trace of him, and an assertion that his business profile suggested a high risk that he would vanish back to the UK if given advance notification of the inspection hence the need to take "precautionary measures" and descend on him unannouced and the judge had approved it. It was an eye opener to me, I'd never come across anything like that before, but apparently it's not uncommon.
Watch your back!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not clear from your post whether you are operating 2 separate businesses, or whether you're trying to keep it as one operation.
What French business structure have you registered your shop in France under? Is your UK business a reg.co? Or are you registered as a sole trader in one or the other or both countries?
I am hoping to keep them as two separate businesses, but as I now live full time in France I have been told by my UK accountant I need to register for VAT here even though the income is generated in the UK? The UK business is a partnership, in France I am registered as micro-entrepreneur. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I think you urgently need to talk to an advisor who understands the French tax system and also the FR/UK tax treaty. Start by going to talk to your CCI as Bev suggested. It is a bit of a minefield.

How can revenue on sales through a shop in France, be classed as income generated in the UK? I don't understand that comment.

If your're registered as a micro entrepreneur, everything you sell through your micro entreprise is French income, subject to French income tax and TVA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts