Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Expat Forum,

With my wife and two kids (3 and 1 Y.O.), I will be moving to France in a few months’ time (I've been offered a job at the MNC I'm working for).

Since IDF is quite big, we are seeking advice on better neighborhoods to hunt for place to rent.

I am looking for a zone with 30 minutes commute to my new workplace in the south of Châtillon (92320), close to Orly airport (will be traveling quite a lot) and direct RER/TER access to Paris.
We would prefer a suburban setting, but with supermarket/school/hospital in proximity.
Our budget is between 1.5k and 2k (CC) for a three bedroom apartment, is it realistic to have a small garden for this price?

My future colleagues are recommending Versailles area, particularly Le Chesney, but it seems quite far from the office.
Are there any other cities/neighborhoods worth looking at?

Tx in advance

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
If you're looking for access to Orly, you may want to check the towns out along the RER B line, from Antony (where Orly is located) south. Towns like Orsay, Bures or Gif are a possibility. Palaiseau or Massy are a little built up for my tastes, but you might like them - and there are definitely shopping, schools and hospitals close at hand.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
It is difficult south of Paris. It really depends exactly where you are working with respect to the RER.

If it works with RER C maybe Dourdan. Dourdan is more of a country location. Looks very nice to be fair.

Versaille would work but your budget is tight.

Will you have a car ?

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
Dourdan is fine, except that the access into Paris is long and circuitous at the best of times. And I'd advise against Versailles - for either Chatillon or Orly you simply "can't get there from here" using the RER, unless you go into Paris and transfer from there out to where you're going. There is a transfer point at Massy-Palaiseau, but it's a LONG hike from the C station to the B station and vice versa.

The area around Orsay can be expensive, but there is quite a bit of new construction of housing going on in the area. Take a look at a real estate site (like Century 21 or PAP or Seloger) and see what's available within your budget.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
73 Posts
Antony is indeed very nice, classy. Intersects with the RER B train for a 15 min trip to Paris center; the TVM dedicated bus route snakes along easterly connecting to major mall at Belle Epine; or go westerly to Velizy 2 mall. I live in a smaller ville adjacent to Antony.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts