Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend lives in London and is in the UK on a fiance visa. She just got married. Now they are extending their tenancy agreement since it's going to expire in September. They tried adding her name to the tenancy agreement for the visa but the landlord refused because they found out her visa is expiring in September as well.

Now they tried to call the landlord again and just extend the tenancy agreement without adding my friend's name but they won't do it because of my friend's visa expiring soon and they think it's going to be a problem. The landlord will issue a new tenancy agreement once she gets her visa though.

Now, is it okay that my friend will apply for FLR(M) with just one month left on the tenancy agreement? They will go for premium service and then try to explain that they will have a new tenancy once she gets the visa.

I hope anyone can help. Thank you very much.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If the Tenancy expires in between application and appointment, that will be a serious problem.
It is interesting why the Landlord will not renew in the name of the existing Tenant? If there is NO roll-over clause in the current agreement, then your friend is at the mercy of the Landlord. It is strange to believe, the Landlord is afraid of your Friend not getting a Visa being a problem, after all that would make it difficult for her to remain anyway, very odd.

Ask the Landlord to give a letter confirming the Tenancy will continue beyond the current termination date.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you skyf. It is indeed strange, not to mention annoying, that the landlord won't allow them anymore.

My friend says they have an email from the landlord that states the tenancy will continue once she gets the visa so that's covered.

Her appointment will be September 7, the tenancy will expire September 15. That won't be a problem, will it?

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thank you skyf. It is indeed strange, not to mention annoying, that the landlord won't allow them anymore.

My friend says they have an email from the landlord that states the tenancy will continue once she gets the visa so that's covered.

Her appointment will be September 7, the tenancy will expire September 15. That won't be a problem, will it?

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk
It is very tight and questions could be asked, all the more reason to get an original signed letter from the Landlord confirming the Tenancy will continue beyond the expiry date. An email is NOT good enough...anyone can send. Must be original letter from Landlord.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.