Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am moving to Sydney next week. Can anyone please good and inexpensive locality to live with connection to public transportation.

I am from India so it will be great if I can find a place near Indian community.

Thanks
Piyush

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi piyush

Congrats for your visa !!

Can you share your visa process with us ,means which visa ,profession ,your application starts date etc .It would be great help for new applicants

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I am going on 457 subclass visa. My job profile is Management Consultant. I have been granted 4 year visa. My sponsor has applied my Visa from Australia and once approved I got my passport stamping done in India.

Feel free to shot any question.

Thanks
Piyush

·
Registered
209 Posts
By saying sponsor , I guess you have job offer from Australia ,Tats great !!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
rest everything is fine but why do you want to stay near Indian community? you wil find Indian shops everywhere, restaurants, take away counters, grocery stores and an Indian face-not difficult to find..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your info. Reason for wanting to leave near Indian community was to have feel of home being away from home. But it's good to have option rather than must have option. Can you suggest some good areas to live which will be cheap?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all,
I am planning to move to Sydney in July 2012 and looking at all options for accommodation from rentals to sharing. My wife would join me as soon as I get a job so I am preferring a rental.

I've seen agents asking for several documents like identity cards, payslips, bank statement, references etc. Since, I'll be a new expat, how I am supposed to have these. Would it be difficult to get a rental accommodation in these circumstances? Is it tough getting a house/aptt on rent. ?

AP

G

·
It is tough but many accept these documents if from overseas so long as they are in english. You must have employment references & bank statements from India? Also a copy of your australian bank account with any savings in would help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there any accommodation provided by the Australian government or immigration department for first time migrants? I'm asking this because someone today told me that there is such a provision and the rates are pretty reasonable. Unfortunately he does not have any other info and could not find anything on immi.gov.au except for detainees :p which I am not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Piyush,
So did you finally get the accommodation. Pls share your experience so that it can help others.

Thanks
Anmol

G

·
They haven't done that in years. Migrants are meant to be self funded skilled people so the Government felt they should not waste tax payers money on such things. You might have to use holiday accomodation until you can find a rental. Many people do that for several months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all,
I am planning to move to Sydney in July 2012 and looking at all options for accommodation from rentals to sharing. My wife would join me as soon as I get a job so I am preferring a rental.

I've seen agents asking for several documents like identity cards, payslips, bank statement, references etc. Since, I'll be a new expat, how I am supposed to have these. Would it be difficult to get a rental accommodation in these circumstances? Is it tough getting a house/aptt on rent. ?

AP
We had the same problem when we first arrived. Trying to get the 100 points ID stuff was impossible. Luckily, we'd brought quite a lot of financial docs such as bank and mortgage statements, payslips etc with us. We basically gave the agent anything that we could find to prove that we were solvent and that we were good payers. We also got our Medicare cards as soon as we could as that helped add a few points too. With our rental application, we included a covering letter explaining our situation (ie that we were new to the country and had no Aussie references) and "grovelled" a bit. It seemed to work as we got the property we were after.

Good luck with your house hunting.

Gaz.

·
Registered
550 Posts
From what I could gather- a real-estate Agent in Australia requires an immigrant to provide the following proofs in order to get going:

a. Bank Statements (6 months is good enough?)
b. References (Do these have to be Australian?)
c. Passport copies
d. Payslips (Last 3 months)

I suppose soft-copies of these would do so that they can be sent over email.
Please help me understand.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
payslips are no good if they are not from Autralian employer, when you show them Indian pay slips, when converted the amount is nothing unless you are earning 2-3,00,000 INR per month.
What we gave was reference from people we know in Australia, yes they do call and ask. passport copy, license copy, medicare card copy, bank statement, vehicle transfer copy (we had purchased a car before we got a rental acco) and a cover letter stating we have recently moved and that we are willing to pay advance rent for a few months if that serves as a security to the property owner etc etc..

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks, Anj1976.

- The licence would have to be Australian or Indian would do?
- Ditto with Bank Statement- Aussie or Indian?
- What is the normal house rent advance that is prevalent in Australia?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Indian License

Australian Bank statement, they want to see how much money you have, if you are not transferring much then Indian statement should work as well but i am not sure, it depends on the property owner.

The normal is one month bond plus one month rent in advance. I am not sure how it is in Sydney, but this is how it works here. We offered 6 months rent advance but the property owner was way too nice, he said 3 months is more than enough, 6 months will be too much for you as you have recently migrated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi All,

I am looking for accommodation in Sydney preferably in Parramatta, any references please let me know.

Will b coming with my husband and two year old son in the last week of July 2014.

Please suggest good places where we can stay initially once we land for few days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts