Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am moving to Sydney this January and would like to know how difficult it is to get accommodation with a little one(7 months) aboard?

Do property owners give preferences to couples without children?

This is the big one that is getting me worried.

Regards,
Roy

·
Registered
173 Posts
It depends on the owner. some owners don't prefer people with pets, some won't prefer who have kids. But still we can get houses of our choice. search more and give as many applications as you canm so that you will get atleast one :)

All the best for your house search

Hi,

I am moving to Sydney this January and would like to know how difficult it is to get accommodation with a little one(7 months) aboard?

Regards,
Roy

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Royen:

Kids should not be an issue, mainly pets tend to be the reason most owners reject applications (many units even have rules against them).

You might have to put up a bigger deposit because you don't have previous rental history but that is worked out with the real estate agent. Mainly be prepared to make an application quickly as you won't have much time to get a unit. Vacancy rates are low and each year the availability problem becomes bigger.

Good luck in your search :)

Hi,

Regards,
Roy

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much Amaslam and MRMSML for your suggestions. I ll have to prepare a hefty deposit for this. Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Roy

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are some apartments which can be quite pricey but there are also very economical accommodation options. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
a few days back someone wrote about their experience, they paid 6 months rental in advance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh thanks Anj and Patricia. I then have to plan for the hefty advance :(.

Regards,
Roy

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Royen:

I think that 6 months was needed as they didn't have a rental history. After the first time and rental the bond is 1 month for most future rentals. You are entitled to it back after you leave the rental.

Just be careful when you leave:
1. It should be professionally cleaned (carpets and rooms)
2. Normal wear and tear is expected and does not reduce the amount of the bond you get back
3. Anything broken other than normal wear and tear can be taken from your rental bond.

Be especially careful of 2 and 3 as the dodgy agents will try to keep as much of your rental bond of possible. Be sure to know your rights before signing things.

A good rule of thumb when you get the keys to a new unit is to take your digital camera, take pictures of all the rooms, and get in writing from the agent that anything broken is noted as broken. You get a checklist when you first move in which you need to return within 1-2 weeks to the agent which should list any defects in the unit.

Regards,
Roy

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
this scares me. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Royen:

I think that 6 months was needed as they didn't have a rental history. After the first time and rental the bond is 1 month for most future rentals. You are entitled to it back after you leave the rental.

Just be careful when you leave:
1. It should be professionally cleaned (carpets and rooms)
2. Normal wear and tear is expected and does not reduce the amount of the bond you get back
3. Anything broken other than normal wear and tear can be taken from your rental bond.

Be especially careful of 2 and 3 as the dodgy agents will try to keep as much of your rental bond of possible. Be sure to know your rights before signing things.

A good rule of thumb when you get the keys to a new unit is to take your digital camera, take pictures of all the rooms, and get in writing from the agent that anything broken is noted as broken. You get a checklist when you first move in which you need to return within 1-2 weeks to the agent which should list any defects in the unit.
That sure is very nice of you to share this tip. Thank you again. I ll take into account in mind.

I remember Dolly saying the same things in the sticky thread. Thanks to her too.

Regards,
Roy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Then if you already find a place for you family, ask any of these questions before signing the agreement. You will need to check with the landlord about many things like

How much is the security deposit?
Is there a list of rules about what can and cannot be done?
Is there an end of lease cleaning fee?
Are there any non-refundable fees?
Who should you call if something breaks down?

You will need to know these things to ensure that the lace is the right one for you. :)

Regards,
Roy

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

Oh dear!!!
With 3 kids, a 7 year old and 3 year old twins, it's going to be hard....

How long do we need to work until we can buy our own place? How many salary slips are needed?

What about more child friendly accommodation, like renting a bungalow (with air conditioned) in a holiday park? If it's for 8/10 weeks I think it might be fun, easier and cheaper...

Cheers,
Busyte

1 - 12 of 12 Posts