Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later this year I'll be visiting Thailand, strictly as a tourist (I'm retired), for what I would like to be an extended stay of perhaps at least a couple of months. However it seems that may not be possible considering a Visa restriction of 30 days.

Although I'm not planning to arrange it before I leave Australia, one of the things I would like to look into is having some dental work done, as I believe Thai dental hospitals are both very inexpensive (compared to Australia anyway) and amongst the best in the world.

I certainly don't want the expense of a tourist hotel for a full month, and I'm not into the backpacker hostel thing.

I would very much welcome suggestions as to suitable accommodation reasonably close to the hospitals. I don't need much, just clean and secure and of course a quiet place for recovery for a brief period post procedure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend recommended Evergreen Place which are small apartments with a small fridge & kettle etc. The website has daily, weekly and monthly rates. Ive never actually stayed there but a friend has stayed frequently and says it's central, reasonably priced and clean. Her family use the apartments whenever they are in Bangkok. Hope that helps. Sue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much Sue, that looks like a really good tip. There are lots of reviews for the Evergreen Place and the vast majority are very positive. I'll certainly look further into that one.

- Bill

·
Registered
50 Posts
Go to the Thai consulate in your own country and get visa there before you come , that gets you 60 days and another 30 on a visa run .
If you know what dental hospital you are going to use , it is possible to get your mouth x-rayed in your country and email them over to Thailand, that way doctor can have a look and tell you what's possible , send to a few and compare the results and price's
Might save you some time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to the Thai consulate in your own country and get visa there before you come , that gets you 60 days and another 30 on a visa run .
If you know what dental hospital you are going to use , it is possible to get your mouth x-rayed in your country and email them over to Thailand, that way doctor can have a look and tell you what's possible , send to a few and compare the results and price's
Might save you some time
OK, I'll have to look further into this. My initial information was that Australian citizens travelling as tourists don't need a Visa and are limited to 30 days. However it seems that I can optionally apply for a visa which will give me 60 days – is that about it? Next time I'm in the city in Brisbane I'll call into the Consulate.

Good tip on the x-rays, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's your budget look like?
Budget isn't a big issue, I can afford anywhere within reason, but I object to paying 4 & 5 star prices for somewhere I'll basically spend only sleep time in. I reserve my luxury accommodations for places where I'm only doing a brief stopover. My only must-haves are Wi-Fi and my own bathroom/toilet. Fridge and kitchenette would be nice but not essential. Would also prefer to be reasonably close to city centre.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Budget isn't a big issue, I can afford anywhere within reason, but I object to paying 4 & 5 star prices for somewhere I'll basically spend only sleep time in. I reserve my luxury accommodations for places where I'm only doing a brief stopover. My only must-haves are Wi-Fi and my own bathroom/toilet. Fridge and kitchenette would be nice but not essential. Would also prefer to be reasonably close to city centre.
Also I've got a hip and knee that don't play well with squat toilets!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Then there are tons of three-star hotels that are perfect for you.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g293915-Thailand-Hotels.html
Most are close to Sky-Train stations and that will allow you to go anywhere in Bangkok.
BTW, the only place I've seen a squat toilet was on the train. I don't think there are any modern hotels that only offer a squat toilet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pattaya is also a "dental center," if that suits your fancy. I have heard a lot of good reports from people going there, although I do not remember specifics. Yeah....you just need a room. I guess a cooktop would be nice, for when you get a hankering for something more akin to home, but the street food in BKK is ranked #1 in the world and I whole heartedly agree. That is pretty much the same in any city, but with regional differences. I suggest looking for a room near a night market. You will save a lot in cab or tuk-tuk fare, as the smells will lift you right up out of your chair and deliver you there! I am getting hungry just thinking about it and I just returned about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions.

I'm leaving Australia on 24/9 and having a week in Taipei before arriving in Bangkok on 1/10.

As I am flying EVA Air I considered booking in at the Evergreen Laurel Hotel owned by the same group. However, in the end I booked into the Evergreen Place which was recommended by CheshireSue, as I found lots of very positive reviews for it.

I haven't definitely decided on a specific Dental Practice yet, but given the information I've received in response to my inquiries, I'm favouring Thantakit International Dental Center. I haven't investigated proximity of the practice to my accommodation as I figure Uber can get me anywhere.

Thanks again.

- Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts