Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it may or may not be evident from my last thread (most likely not evident, as nobody really read it or answered ....lol) I am looking to start my MBA. INSHALLAH starting this fall, although theres a good chance I may begin in May. ::Fingers crossed::

In any case, i'm a marina gal, and by marina gal, i mean i cannot be dragged kicking or screaming out of the marina/jbr/this side of town. There's a good chance tho, my classes are going to be 4 nights a week (after work: also in the marina) but they will be in academic city.

The problem: i don't drive (before you gasp in shock, let me assure you, it's for the best: you are all safer with me off the roads, American drivers license or not!). how on EARTH do i get to academic city from the marina? i know there's no metro going there right? how much do you estimate a taxi would cost me from the marina to academic city each way (and how long will it take??)

and yes, i know i SHOULD know, having lived here for a few years, but i confess i had no clue!!! i had to google map where academic city was!!!! smh.

any and all help is MUCH appreciated!!!!!!!!! :)

thanks!
beenie

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
:eek: You don't drive? WTF? Wait, aren't you from NY? Then I understand....

I remember a while back someone here recommended to another person that they should get a taxi cab driver and try to negotiate a rate with them since this will be a steady stream of revenue for the cab driver. They might be willing to work with ya.

However, this is a bit of coin to put out for a taxi... you might want to consider getting the license and renting a small car for the time period of your MBA. May work out cheaper.

Sorry the accountant in me has to do this.... Let's assume:
Taxi fare is ~AED200 (~$60)/day for 4 days a week
MBA program is an 18 month program
4 weeks in a month
that is AED200*4days*4weeks*18months = AED57,600

A month long rental for a small car is ~AED2,500 per month so,
AED2,500*18 = AED45,000
Savings = ~12,600 ($3,450)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.