Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are just as many people in Abu Dhabi as there are in Dubai, so why isnt there a section for Abu Dhabi??

I found the salary thread amazing because I could relate to them even though I'm not in Dubai... but the school threads and rental threads are too hard to follow as I have never been to Dubai.

What about a rental thread about Abu Dhabi? Or a Schools thread...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Dubai is noticeably bigger than Abu Dhabi.

The population figures you may have seen usually cover the entire AD Emirate, which includes Al Ain and the western regions.

The expat population in Dubai is also much larger and it seems the percentage of higher earning professional expats is lower in Abu Dhabi than in Dubai, particularly from the West, and the majority of posters on this forum are from the West. So many higher earning expats arriving in the UAE tend to go straight to Dubai and only a small percentage to Abu Dhabi.

There are also far fewer schools and areas catering to professional/western expats in Abu Dhabi than in Dubai.

Anyway, there is a general UAE expat forum where most of the AD posts are found. But there aren't many of them to begin with!

There are just as many people in Abu Dhabi as there are in Dubai, so why isnt there a section for Abu Dhabi??

I found the salary thread amazing because I could relate to them even though I'm not in Dubai... but the school threads and rental threads are too hard to follow as I have never been to Dubai.

What about a rental thread about Abu Dhabi? Or a Schools thread...

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Just to echo TallyHo- The population of Abu Dhabi city is about one fourth of Dubai. It is predominantly local, Arab and Indians/ Pakistanis from specific regions. A lot of them have existing social circles/ people they know in the city, hence the need for seeking information over the net is perhaps lower.

The fewer posts in the UAE section of the forum indicate this as well - that too most posts are linked to security clearance/job/visa process rather than actual living in the city.

Having said this, there are other online forums dedicated to Abu Dhabi which are MUCH more active. However they tend to attract a certain demography which I dont identify with ;) It was somewhat helpful though when we were moving from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, but wouldn't say that it was super helpful.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dubai is noticeably bigger than Abu Dhabi.

The population figures you may have seen usually cover the entire AD Emirate, which includes Al Ain and the western regions.

The expat population in Dubai is also much larger and it seems the percentage of higher earning professional expats is lower in Abu Dhabi than in Dubai, particularly from the West, and the majority of posters on this forum are from the West. So many higher earning expats arriving in the UAE tend to go straight to Dubai and only a small percentage to Abu Dhabi.

There are also far fewer schools and areas catering to professional/western expats in Abu Dhabi than in Dubai.

Anyway, there is a general UAE expat forum where most of the AD posts are found. But there aren't many of them to begin with!
Never saw that section of the forum before ....interesting. I feel like there are a lot of westerners here but dont have statistics, does anyone have population statistics on the two regions?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
What are the prices like in Khalifa A? Is it a nice are to live?

I live in Gate Towers for a Studio (surprisingly large, separate kitchen to Lounge/Bedroom for AED 75,000
Hi,
I suppose it will be OK when it is finished!
It is a bit soulless - without any parks, green spaces or play areas for kids.
It is mainly individual and compounded villas - in between areas of sand and building sites!
We are happy with our place because it is convenient for my wife's work location, the highway to Dubai and my sons school.
Once we shut the gates and garage doors - we live in our own walled compound with garden - so can do what we please.
In an ideal world we would prefer to live in a greener location - but Abu Dhabi does not have the range of "housing estates" like Dubai.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i live in khaliydia in what they call a villa, it is very old and has loads of issues an apartment would have been a better choice.. but well there is always next year :p

·
Banned
913 Posts
Abu Dhabi has just had a problem!

I was watching TV and i hear a smash.

In the bathroom, the cill for the sink has fallen and smashed. WHAT DO I DO!!!

If I tell the landlord will he just take my desposit? Or do i tell Kidmah?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Abu Dhabi has just had a problem!

I was watching TV and i hear a smash.

In the bathroom, the cill for the sink has fallen and smashed. WHAT DO I DO!!!

If I tell the landlord will he just take my desposit? Or do i tell Kidmah?
sorry to hear, well you know your landlord, if he will blame you it is probably better to call in someone to fix it...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts