Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is anyone still out there waiting for their security clearance to come through? I've been offered a position at a university in Abu Dhabi. My paperwork for the security clearance was submitted on August 5th. It's going on 3 months now. I've never worked abroad and am still in the US.

I'd appreciate it if anyone else would share their experience with this. It's helpful in keeping the hope alive that this will go through - soon.
:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm glad my situation isn't abnormal. That should be differentiated from being glad with the wait. I just wish it would move faster; like everyone else.:confused2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Star_Psy
Which university did you apply to? Can u share what position it is for? trying to find some method to the madness of how they approve the secirity clearance.. Employer, position etc..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure if the security check allows for me to mention specifics like that. That tells you that I know nothing about what it entails. If they're doing forum monitoring, which is certainly possible, I don't want to be in breach of any regulations and jeopardize my chances.

I've contacted the university several times for specifics but haven't been given any.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, I feel your pain. To alleviate it for at least a moment, we can look at this similie: :bolt:
That's an illustration of how fast I'll be out the door once this clearance comes through.

But before that, I might do this for a while: :bump2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My security clearance (also for a university position) was submitted the first week of August. I seriously did not expect it to take this long, nor did the university give any indication that it might take weeks if not months. I'm seriously frustrated. It makes planning so difficult. I still really want the job, but I want to move on with my life as well. Can't believe it's been more than 3 months now.

If anyone out there got security clearance after 3 months or more, please post it here. It would be good to know that there is hope.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My security clearance (also for a university position) was submitted the first week of August. I seriously did not expect it to take this long, nor did the university give any indication that it might take weeks if not months. I'm seriously frustrated. It makes planning so difficult. I still really want the job, but I want to move on with my life as well. Can't believe it's been more than 3 months now.

If anyone out there got security clearance after 3 months or more, please post it here. It would be good to know that there is hope.
Hi Amma,

Are you still waiting for the security clearance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Amma,

Are you still waiting for the security clearance?

Star_Psy,

Yes, still waiting for security clearance :-(
It's been a long and frustrating wait (4+ months). The university has now changed my start date to January 2014 if security clearance is granted. I have been looking elsewhere for work in case clearance is rejected. What about you?

Amma

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Star_Psy,

Yes, still waiting for security clearance :-(
It's been a long and frustrating wait (4+ months). The university has now changed my start date to January 2014 if security clearance is granted. I have been looking elsewhere for work in case clearance is rejected. What about you?

Amma
I'm still waiting as well and have no idea what the university will do if and when it goes through. Like you, I'm also looking elsewhere in case the clearance is rejected.

I wonder why these checks take so long for potential university employees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just contacted the HR department at the university to which I applied. I have not spoken to them since October and thought I'd give them a call and see what happened. I thought that perhaps SC was rejected and I haven't been informed. Well, the HR dept has just told me that since applying for clearance for me in early August, they have not received any reply from the ministry as of yet.

I'm just wondering whether there's still hope given the length of time that has passed. It would be great to hear from people who did eventually get clearance after several months of waiting, just to know whether or not to still have hope.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its a pity HR doesn't even drop you an occasional update, I guess its how things roll in the ME. I have read lots of people saying one needs a lot of patience.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts