Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

About to blow my top off over the banking system here!!!!!

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Bevdeforges 
#1 ·
So, the hubby and I went to a Caisse d'Épargne in his neighborhood to see about what would need to be done to have his branch there. Of course he would have to start a new account with new numbers, debit cards, etc. NO, this is not an option as his bills and everything are tied to the bank account he started in his hometown region. He does NOT want to switch everything around because it's just too much of a hassle and I completely agree with him. So, we a few options. We can create a new account together at Caisse d'Epargne -with most of my money- but there would really be no activity on this account such as bills, direct deposit, etc. Will this be an issue when presenting it to a prefecture when it comes to renewing my titre de sejour?

Another option I heard that others have done was for the foreign spouse to create an account somewhere else and tie it to their french spouses' bank account. Has anyone ever heard of this?

The last option would be to go all the way back to his home town and add me to his account there and ask them to send the bank statements to his residence in Vincennes. Our only issue with this is wondering what in the hell they would ask for from me and if we didn't have it, it would of just been a waste of a trip.

We're both about to rip our hair out. I wish isn't wasn't so darn complicated. I also wish he had taken care of this stuff when he moved to Vincennes...but he said that he kept it this way so that if he ever lost his job he wouldn't have to switch to new bank accounts if he had to return home.

I don't know what to do. I feel so freaking frustrated right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Cry::Cry::Cry:

See less See more
#2 ·
OK - back to basics. Breathe - long, slow, deep breaths.

Stop worrying about proving your marriage for your carte de séjour. You've got another 8 or 10 months at least before you get there. And once you're married, it's not nearly as difficult as you're making it. (They may ask a bit more when you go for French nationality - but that's a full 4 years off and by then you'll know how to deal with the Administration like a real French person.)

There is no requirement anywhere that says you have to have a joint bank account with your spouse. I know, because I don't have any accounts in common with my French spouse. All our accounts are separate. It works just fine. In fact, it's actually a good idea to keep your accounts strictly separate, because if you don't you're going to have to report your joint account to the US Treasury department as part of your FBAR filings, even if he doesn't want his finances reported to the IRS. (Long story - does not concern you at the moment. Enjoy the moment as long as it lasts!)

Open a bank account for yourself in your own name. Period. That will give you a bank statement with your home address on it (which can be used, if needed, to prove your residence). Plus, it gives you a bank account to deposit your pay in once you find a job. That's really all you need.

And wait until you get through your OFII appointment to see what your next step needs to be.

OK, once again - deep breaths..... <g>
Cheers,
Bev

#3 ·
Or, if you really want a joint account, the bank can arrange for all of your direct payments to be transferred (at least, that's what Credit Agricole told me when I moved my account and there was no charge for the service - I would have thought your bank could also provide that service). The only thing your husband would then need to do is arrange for his pay to be deposited to the new account. Also, ask them to leave the old account open until such time as you have the new debit cards (they normally don't close the old account immediately anyway as there may be outstanding payments coming through). That said, I think Bev's suggestion of opening you own account is likely the best option - much easier for US reporting.

#4 ·
Good point - different banks handle "transfers" of accounts (between branches) differently. Part of the reason I bank with Banque Populaire is that they even let you keep the same account number if you transfer branches. Back in the "good old days" (when they still charged you to close your account) most of the other banks in the area charged you to close the account even if you opened your new account at the same bank in another branch.
Cheers,
Bev

#5 ·
The banking system here for Americans, i have been here one year and i give up on opening a bank account, its a such a headache. This is one of the French things i cant stand i got myself a prepaid visa card , i dont need a bank account here. MY GOD in california i can open a bank account in 20 mins the same exact day i enter the bank, here come back in 10 days, unbelieable.

#6 ·
times were it was quite easy even for usa citizens
but since the usa government seem to want the french bank to jump through hoops if they hold an account for an american citizen it appears that many french banks regard such accounts as more trouble than they are worth
I won't pretend that I understand what this is all about , but have been told this by a couple of americans of my acquaintance

#9 ·
Im living in Paris area.

The 10 days is just to be able to see someone to get inside and sit and open a account. I need this document, that document, this that, a royal pain in the butt for sure. I have been here now over a year and i have come to expect things like this in France, every thing moves at half speed here for the most part.

I wanted to go to the doctor in my city, 10 mins from the center of paris, and they told me each time i called a dentist that their not taking any new paticents, whatttttttttttttttt so i couldnt even get a appointment to see the dentist in my city and there are 35 dentist.

#10 ·
Ah, the times, they are a changing.... That know your customer stuff has hit even the US, though they implement it a bit differently. Just try opening a new bank account back in the States after you've been living overseas for a bit! Only reason I was able to do so is that my Dad had put me onto his account as a signer ("just in case") and so I was a "known quantity" to the bank and so could pretty much by-pass all the rigamarole for a really "new" customer.

The trick to opening a new account in France (even in Paris) is to pick a smaller, non-international bank - preferably one without the obligation to report stuff to the IRS. All the banks report pretty much everything in your account to the Banque de France - but it's up to the Banque de France what they report on to the IRS. However, if they haven't asked you for a W-9 or your US SSN, there's a limit to how "useful" the information is for the IRS.

Yes, it takes longer to open a bank account here than in the US. But at most banks, you can generally get an appointment within 24 to 48 hours (well, 1 or 2 business days). Some banks even have English speaking conseillers - though not all do. Just remember that the "conseillers" are the newbies just hired in and working their way up the career ladder.
Cheers,
Bev

#12 ·
I suppose one of the reasons that the French banking system doesn't bother me as much as it does some Americans is that I got to France via Germany. Now THAT's a banking system that can drive you nuts at first!

After three years in Germany, the French system wasn't all that big a surprise. (And was actually quite a bit cheaper than the German banking system.) But both have changed over the twenty odd years I've been here.
Cheers,
Bev

#16 ·
Well, a few data points from my own experience.

There are no international 'know your customer' laws, but nearly all countries have similar national laws. As others have said above, if one partner is American, it's best to keep financials separate.

My wife has a French HSBC account that she obtained through HSBC in Australia without any correspondence with a French branch. We went to Paris, walked in and she picked up her debit card and cheque book.

I've had a US checking account for 30 years, and obtained a credit card (with a pretty decent limit) within a week of moving here last year. I went to the branch and asked for one.

I've set up all of our utility and similar (phone, Internet) accounts in France just by photocopying my wife's RIB and walking into a branch.

If someone says to me in France 'please give me your bank details' I say 'I don't have a bank account' and move on.

We wanted to talk to a bank about a mortgage, and got an appointment same day with Crédit Foncier.

These are random snippets, but my main point is that sometimes we make things harder than they need to be. Go with the flow, people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.