Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

? about recruitment in YOUR country

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Kawasutra 
#1 ·
I figured it was the world over that you do research what companies are in your line of field, find which companies YOU think is a good fit, and contact their hr or figure out how to meet with someone in the dividion you want to work in.

We seem to get a lot of people who think they will just go to a recruitment agency and they will find them a job. Is there a reason why people are under this impression? Is this how things are actually done in certain cultures?

Curious.

#2 ·
I normally send a pic of myself working and wait for a reply.

But I've met a few people over the last few months that focus solely on recruitment agencies. And yes, people going to them tend to have the notion of applying through them and expecting everything to fall in place.

Problem is, there are very few agencies that specialize in certain fields and they are normally the ones that can't get candidate x lined up to company y because they know nothing of the expertise field.

I do job hunting quite extensively - and prefer going directly to the company.

#3 ·
"Job Hunters" have to try both ways, as many companies now are just sending a list of their requirements to these agencies and ask them to do the whole process. There's a "new" trend now toward outsourcing in many services. So the companies would think why to have an HR department while we can leave this for another agency and we would only pay per service, while for other HR tasks it would be done by accountants, secretaries... etc.

Even for IT services, many places are shifting toward this "outsourcing" thing.

During my previous "job hunting trip" I've been contacted by many of these agencies... they seem some times to contact any person who have the right key word in his CV even if he's not related to the expected role.

#4 ·
It does seem there are a lot of people who think there is some magic secret to finding a job in Dubai. That they can make a post on a discussion forum and they will have a job.

Truth is because of the speed that things move here, it is a terrible place to need a job. The hiring process here is about as slow as possible. There are more people who do not have the courtesy to return an email than I have ever encountered. Even after you have been told an offer is going to be made, it can still be weeks of unanswered emails and not having a clue what is going on (personal experience, with more than one company).

My followup question is why are people, particularly from the UK, jazzed to just jump on a plane to Dubai? No job in hand, no understanding of the job market or pay in particular industries (e.g. hospitality). Just some belief that life will be great in Dubai. Makes no sense to me at all.

#9 ·
Probably correct :)

In the UK a large number of jobs are through recruitment agencies. I generally use them to hire in the UK as I don't have time to read 300+ CVs received per day if I advertise. Call me lazy, but it is worth paying an Agency to forward me a handful of CVs that match my requirements. I can then get on with generating revenue and keeping clients happy...
I prefer to wade through the mostly useless CV's myself, that way I don't have to have recruiters calling me all the time with their voice.

It's easy enough to go through CV's here though, just bin every single one that starts with "Objective", bin all the ugly chicks and dudes with awful moustaches, then you're usually left with half a dozen at the most.

That said, I've only ever really got jobs for myself through agencies, although that's probably also why I've been with the same company for the last 5 years, the whole ordeal with having to justify your skills to some ponce who makes you promise not to use any other agencies just fills me with dread.

#10 ·
I prefer to wade through the mostly useless CV's myself, that way I don't have to have recruiters calling me all the time with their voice.

It's easy enough to go through CV's here though, just bin every single one that starts with "Objective", bin all the ugly chicks and dudes with awful moustaches, then you're usually left with half a dozen at the most.

That said, I've only ever really got jobs for myself through agencies, although that's probably also why I've been with the same company for the last 5 years, the whole ordeal with having to justify your skills to some ponce who makes you promise not to use any other agencies just fills me with dread.
Maybe you're an ugly chick whose CV is constantly binned :p

#8 ·
Recruitment consultants are ultimately salespeople with their eye on their commission and they will only spend time working on the candidates who have the strongest chance of being selected for a role that they are actively working on. Sending a speculative CV with a generic covering email requires limited effort on the part of the candidate so why should the agent bust a gut to find them the right job? And no, I'm not a recruitment consultant ;-)

On the other hand, go to an agency with a clear idea of what you want/where you want to work, or respond to a job they have advertised which matches your needs, and you might get a different response. I say "might" because if they don't think you match their client's criteria or they don't have any roles which match yours then they won't spend the time meeting with you.

I wouldn't rely on agencies alone to find a job anywhere in the world.

#11 ·
As long as companys or recruitment agencies are not able to describe the perspective role in a manner that no one can get a clue what the task really is, it will still remain a mess!

And if a job ad starts with,...a well reputed XXX company is looking for someone who makes them rich, just...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.