Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 35 year old with wife and 1 child (possibly two by the time we come there) looking to become a graduate student in the Aberdeen U divinity school in next few years.
I understand the cost of living is quite high in Aberdeen. Anyone have advice of things I should take into consideration before moving there, ie. areas to look at renting an apartment or small cottage. Would like to live outside the city centre but not too far out where commuting will be a problem. Not looking to buy a car.
Any words of wisdom is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I am 35 year old with wife and 1 child (possibly two by the time we come there) looking to become a graduate student in the Aberdeen U divinity school in next few years.
I understand the cost of living is quite high in Aberdeen. Anyone have advice of things I should take into consideration before moving there, ie. areas to look at renting an apartment or small cottage. Would like to live outside the city centre but not too far out where commuting will be a problem. Not looking to buy a car.
Any words of wisdom is appreciated.
Hiya!

My husband and I live in Angus, one county down the coast from Aberdeenshire. We visit Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire often-it's a stunningly beautiful county but WOWSA is traffic erm, hair raising in Aberdeen! I learned to drive in Los Angeles, and have lived/driven in SF, NYC, and (the worst of the worst) Atlanta, and trust me they have nothing on Aberdeen! Good call not to have a car if possible, lol! The buses here are (so far) reasonably priced with some excellent deal passes for short and long trips. Aberdeenshire has train links as well, it's very easy to get around without a car, and if you really need one there are car hire companies all over. Arnold Clark is the one we use but Enterprise has recently opened here in Scotland, and there are other companies as well.

I'm posting a link to Aberdeenshire homes for rent on Zoopla. Zoopla is a good site to start your home search on because it offers maps, Google Street View, lists the bus stands near available homes, dates how long the property has been available, and several other good bits of info including the names of the estate agents showing the property so that you can run a search for the specific agent website too.

Property to rent in Aberdeenshire - Flats & houses to rent in Aberdeenshire - Zoopla

And here's a link to the Aberdeenshire council site, an excellent source of official info about the county and it's towns (highly recommend you spend a lot of time on that site finding out about the area, it's a great resource):

Aberdeenshire Council

And to sweeten the info, here's a couple of links to some really special spots in Aberdeenshire. We especially love the Stonehaven area for great days out-lots to do and see for a couple or family:

Stonehaven, Scotland, UK - Portal website stonehavenguide.net

This is a link to one of our favourite places in Aberdeenshire, probably because this is where my husband proposed:) :

Dunnottar Castle

Great, great, great place for picnics (no food concession so you need to bring your own), tours with prices very reasonable. Be sure to wear stout shoes and be prepared walk about a very long dirt road from the car park to climb down to the beach via stairs and handrails but STEEP climb, up to the castle (more steep stairs!) and then reverse to return to the car park. Very worth the work!

I can't really recommend any specific area of the shire as being better than the other for living and commuting into Aberdeen as you'll need to actually be on the ground to make your own judgements, but the Zoopla link is a good place to get started.

Please update, and let us know how you get on:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.