Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need advice from anyone who has moved to Aberdeen from the US (preferable with a company who has moved them there for work.)

What household items to bring with me?

Recommend please the best and fastest telephone, cell, internet and television services available.

We will be in Scotland for a contract term of 2 years.

Should we store everything?

Is there any equivalent to HSN or QVC?????

Should we buy electronics here (because the dollar is down now) and move it there?

Thank you in advance.
Julia

·
Administrator
51,371 Posts
I'm not familiar with Aberdeen specifically, but I can recommend that you NOT bring with you most small electrical appliances that need to be plugged in. Those can be easily replaced with ones that run off the local current (250V) and have the standard fused plug.

If you insist on bringing a few electrical items, make sure you get one or more good transformers (not current converters). Transformers are heavy and give off significant heat when they are working - but are absolutely the only way to not ruin your electrical equipment.

Not sure what "electronics" you're thinking of bringing, but for things like computers, etc., check to see if they will run on the higher voltage. Many will with just a change of the cord or a plug adapter. I wouldn't buy anything in the US specifically to take to Aberdeen - they will charge you VAT (at 17% or so) for anything in your shipment that you have purchased new just before your move over.

There are equivalents of HSN and QVC all over the world these days - mostly on cable or satellite television. But why would you bother? It's much more fun to shop in the local shops or to use Internet shopping for those items you need to have delivered.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Help on moving to Aberdeen

Hey Julia,

I was born and live in Aberdeen so whatever you need to know let me know and I will try and help you out.

My suggestion is that you do not bring any electrical items with you like TV's, kitchen appliances as you can get all you need here at the local hardware stores and it will be cheaper then having to get everything converted to UK plugs, as this will not work as your voltage in your systems are totally different.

Phones are dealt with by BT, but there are a few phone companies but BT have broadband for your internet, also there are numerous mobile phone companies in Aberdeen itself (Vodaphone, Orange, 3, O2) so you can have a choice, you can either enter into a contract for 12-18 months at a payment everymonth for certain packages and also you can purchase a mobile phone as a pay as you go, you just purchase credits for the phone as you use it, maybe best for your starting in Aberdeen. Your tv provider is SKY TV, this covers all your american football (don't know if you are american), also has all the shopping channels QVC also but the UK version but still at cheaper prices. You can spend all day on the shopping channels...lol

Hope this helps you but as I said ask about anything.

Audra

·
Registered
267 Posts
I really need advice from anyone who has moved to Aberdeen from the US (preferable with a company who has moved them there for work.)

What household items to bring with me?

Recommend please the best and fastest telephone, cell, internet and television services available.

We will be in Scotland for a contract term of 2 years.

Should we store everything?

Is there any equivalent to HSN or QVC?????

Should we buy electronics here (because the dollar is down now) and move it there?

Thank you in advance.
Julia

thermals and warm clothing. it is wild in winter.
it is a wonderful area but even in summer you get four seasons in a day somtimes.

steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.