Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an Italian citizen living in the US now but I am going to be moving to France in the spring. My company and source of revenue is in the US.

How can I enroll in the health insurance scheme in France? Although I'm an EU citizen it says I need to show proof of employment or self-employment in France. Since my revenue comes from my US company does anyone know what to do about this?

·
Administrator
50,364 Posts
Unlike some countries, the national health system in France requires that you pay into the system for a period of time before you are covered. Normally, this means you have to be employed in France in some capacity so that you're registered in the "cotisation" system (which includes health coverage, retirement and a couple other benefits). You can't pay into just the health system, you have to contribute to the whole shebang.

Depending on how your company is set up, there are a couple of ways you can manage this.

You could establish a French branch and pay yourself a salary through this branch. The branch would have to register as some form of business entity, report results and the whole deal. The set-up process is a royal pain, but once it's up and running, it's reasonably easy to maintain.

You could establish yourself as an "independent" and then bill the company in the US for your services (assuming you are still active in your company) performed while you are in France. You would have to register with the RSI under one of the applicable statutes and pay your taxes and cotisations based on the results of your business here in France.

Or, if you're not currently active in your business back in the US, you pay yourself dividends and will have to purchase private health coverage through an insurance company or broker.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev, thank you for your reply- I very much appreciate it. Sounds like the easiest way is just to purchase private health insurance. Thanks again!

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
In any case, under whatever regime, when you do your first tax declaration in France for your worldwide income, you'll likely be charged "cotisations"; that will commence the process to get you into the French system.

hils

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In any case, under whatever regime, when you do your first tax declaration in France for your worldwide income, you'll likely be charged "cotisations"; that will commence the process to get you into the French system. hils
I've been advised it wouldn't be necessary to file French taxes since I have no revenue in France. It would be a home office from which to serve clients around Europe. Seems like I need to talk to a professional about this.

Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Not having revenue in France isn't the criterion as far as France is concerned for tax declarations. If you LIVE in France, with possibly your family and you conduct your business from France, even if it's only paperwork, you'll be considered RESIDENT in France, and have to submit French tax declarations for your worldwide income.

hils

NB you can't conduct ANY business from home (even if it's only the paperwork/phone calls etc.), irrespective of where you actually do the work or where your clients are or where you get paid, without registering under one of the relevant regimes as Bev detailed.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Oops just saw this thread - I've been rambling on about these same issues on Philip's other thread, which seems to have a lot of crossover and where I justed quoted the rules from the fisc website.

·
Administrator
50,364 Posts
I've been advised it wouldn't be necessary to file French taxes since I have no revenue in France. It would be a home office from which to serve clients around Europe. Seems like I need to talk to a professional about this.

Anyone have any recommendations?
There are three criteria for having to report and pay taxes in France. Very roughly summarized they are:

- you conduct any sort of business or professional activity in France (i.e. you do work for which you are remunerated - it does NOT matter where the remuneration is coming from, nor where the customers are located)

- your main residence is in France (usually interpreted as 183 days in a calendar year, but if you split your time between 3 or more countries, it can be where you spend the most time during the year)

- your main "centres of interest" are in France - a rather loose criteria that includes where your family is located (taxation in France is on a household basis for those married or PACS'd), where the bulk of your possessions are located, where you get medical care or other basic services, etc.

Meet any one of the three criteria and France considers you "tax resident" here and liable to declare your worldwide income on French tax declarations each year.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.