Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rare event is occurring here this evening - a traditional wedding.

First the groom walks to the church accompanied by his family and supporters. Five minutes later, the bride does the same, each going from their own homes. No fancy cars to take them to the church although there is one to take them away again. Apparently, this sort of thing only happens in villages, these days.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts

First the groom walks to the church accompanied by his family and supporters. Five minutes later, the bride does the same, each going from their own homes. No fancy cars to take them to the church although there is one to take them away again. Apparently, this sort of thing only happens in villages, these days.
It happens here too, if they live near enough to the church.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sounds lovely and gives the villagers a chance to see the beautiful bride (and handsome groom). However, doesn't happen much here in England because of - rain - of course! :D

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Sounds lovely and gives the villagers a chance to see the beautiful bride (and handsome groom). However, doesn't happen much here in England because of - rain - of course! :D
Now that really is traditional - a female bride and a male groom!;)

·
Registered
8,262 Posts

I have seen it done here a few times. Many of the streets in my barrio don't have vehicle access so any bride living in them has no choice but to walk, accompanied by her family! The church isn't very far away, though.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will their kids be the page boys and bridesmaids!!
That may be the case in UK or some other countries where they have to make sure they have their council house sorted before getting married but, here in Spain there is not much in the way of public housing available nor state benefits to act as incentives despite it having been legal to perform the necessary acts from a much earlier age, so friends and relatives have to provide the small attendants.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
That may be the case in UK or some other countries where they have to make sure they have their council house sorted before getting married but, here in Spain there is not much in the way of public housing available nor state benefits to act as incentives despite it having been legal to perform the necessary acts from a much earlier age, so friends and relatives have to provide the small attendants.
I know quite a few unmarried couples with children here - yes, Spanish couples

& there's a wedding coming up soon where the daughters will indeed be bridesmaids

one daughter from a previous relationship of the groom - the other from the couple getting married

·
Registered
512 Posts
Baldi you are a most interesting guy, so sad you taint your posts with this competitive need ;)

I have been to two spanish wedding. The first in a church I was taken by most of the guests, abandoning the service, and drank in the square only to return for the final one minute when the Sevillanas musicians struck up. Only the parents and couple stayed. The second was a registry office but in a historic village building. It was a dis-organised rugby scrum with weddings intermingled. And at both as often in Spain the people were forced to pay as individuals for food and drink they could well do without and ill afford.

In the UK I was a bellringer and did hundreds of weddings at several churches (town and village). I once saw the vicar go for a delay asking the best man to go and get the groom sober. The poor bride was driven back home until summoned. The guests were not amused and I expect he hasn't forgotten it to this day. (Us bellringers weren't paid any extra for the delay :() The rest all went to plan and were very traditional down to many horse drwan arrivals and departures. :D

An aside: once I rang a funeral (a lonely job striking once every 20 seconds) where the liquids in the corpse moved and emitted a groan. To old ladies ran out of the church while others looked very nervous and concerned. It took our poor vicar 20 minutes to persuade the congregation that old Ted hadn't been res erected and to restore order. The landlord of the Rose & Crown (over the road) was well pleased with sales of double brandies :cool:

As for walking to the church have the donkeys retired? :D

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Baldi you are a most interesting guy, so sad you taint your posts with this competitive need ;)

I have been to two spanish wedding. The first in a church I was taken by most of the guests, abandoning the service, and drank in the square only to return for the final one minute when the Sevillanas musicians struck up. Only the parents and couple stayed. The second was a registry office but in a historic village building. It was a dis-organised rugby scrum with weddings intermingled. And at both as often in Spain the people were forced to pay as individuals for food and drink they could well do without and ill afford.

In the UK I was a bellringer and did hundreds of weddings at several churches (town and village). I once saw the vicar go for a delay asking the best man to go and get the groom sober. The poor bride was driven back home until summoned. The guests were not amused and I expect he hasn't forgotten it to this day. (Us bellringers weren't paid any extra for the delay :() The rest all went to plan and were very traditional down to many horse drwan arrivals and departures. :D

An aside: once I rang a funeral (a lonely job striking once every 20 seconds) where the liquids in the corpse moved and emitted a groan. To old ladies ran out of the church while others looked very nervous and concerned. It took our poor vicar 20 minutes to persuade the congregation that old Ted hadn't been res erected and to restore order. The landlord of the Rose & Crown (over the road) was well pleased with sales of double brandies :cool:

As for walking to the church have the donkeys retired? :D
The last mule in the village died a couple of years back and the owner has been forbidden to have any more because he mistreats them.

W.R.T. the age of consent in Spain, it was 13 and was increased by a law that came into force 1st July 2015 to 16.

Sorry no competitiveness, just stating the facts regarding the sorry state of affairs (no pun intended) within some societies. I too was the bellringer (we only had one bell!) at church after my voice broke (more cracked than broke) and I was evicted from the choir.

How quaint having to pay for one's own food and drink. Not here. Those events can prove to be very costly for the hosts just as they are for the celebration of First Communion and other events where one has to invite the [extended] family and friends. We mostly go away for Christmas and New Year, not to avoid having the hoards arrive and be fed and 'watered' but to save others inviting us and having the extra expense - we did our event of having them when we first arrived. Soon the m-i-l will not be able to go away so, we will be 'at home' and will be doing the entertaining. We do have an evening of villancicos for the neighbours and friends when food and drink flow freely, usually about the 22/23 December but we don't do "Ben, ben, ben!" SWMBO can't stand that.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
My sister got married in a village near Weston super Mud and she walked to the church. Well we did live next door. We then all walked to the reception. It was in the village hall next to the church!
I've been to about 6 weddings here in Spain including my own and a SIL's in registry offices. I've not had to pay for anything in any of them, I'm the only person who has left during the service and I've not registered any pushing or shoving either. Perhaps you get a different class of wedding from Madrid up?? :) I've not seen any couples who already have children get married, although there was one wedding like that in the family, followed by a divorce just over a year later very unsurprisingly.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
all of which goes to show that families & weddings aren't so very different UK/Spain

neither are they so very alike!!

clearly we can't generalise

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
:behindsofa:
I've been to about 6 weddings here in Spain including my own and a SIL's in registry offices. I've not had to pay for anything in any of them, I'm the only person who has left during the service and I've not registered any pushing or shoving either. Perhaps you get a different class of wedding from Madrid up?? :) I've not seen any couples who already have children get married, although there was one wedding like that in the family, followed by a divorce just over a year later very unsurprisingly.

Same here. Perhaps our experience is only in the better-class areas. :behindsofa:

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
It happens here too, if they live near enough to the church.
There really is no alternative in our village as access by car is difficult, there is nowhere to park. So everyone walks.
The church is small, rather pretty and access is down a flight of steps to a courtyard where Mass is celebrated in summer.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Do you really think that every British couple who get married move into council housing, Baldy? You seem to look down on the lucky few that do. The sad truth is that there is an acute shortage of social housing or affordable housing of any type in the UK and has been for decades now. How young couples can afford to buy in London or large towns and cities is beyond me. We are paying here in Spain sterling equivalent for a large house with extensive gardens and pool as for a grotty flat in Witney rented by a friend's son - he has to share as he can't afford to pay all the rent from his apprentice's wages.
Spain is the European country with the highest percentage of home owners and second home owners in Europe. Over 75% are owner-occupiers. No doubt many are now regretting their purchase but the fact stands. I've been looking up the cost of homes in Estepona and it's possible to buy a two bed piso for £60k, not the kind of place I'd choose to live in at my age but as a starter it would do fine. It's possible to rent a piso for 200 euros, again, not somewhere I'd choose to live at my stage of life but I wouldn't turn my nose up if it was all I could afford.
There is some social housing in our village and in Estepona but as it's Spanish social housing I suppose it must be superior to any British social housing.;)
I live my life the way I choose and within my means. I see no virtue in being frugal, in choosing to eat in and talk with the neighbours rather than dining out with them in a nice restaurant. I don't want to drive a small car or van - my needs are for an old but comfortable and spacious 4x4x and if I felt I needed a Mercedes S class in my old age I wouldn't feel the slightest twinge of guilt for getting one, as long as it was paid for.
Why, I wonder, is there the need to talk down, to denigrate Britain and everything British simply because we are in Spain? Spain isn't paradise, small towns and villages are no more or less friendly than large towns and cities, going to the beach isn't a crime against good taste - if so, millions of Spaniards would be found guilty - and not all British food is poor quality, tinned, processed or junk. Burger King and MacDonalds restaurants are popular with Spanish people just as they are patronised by Chinese in China, Czechs in Prague, the French in France and so on. Not everyone who eats a burger is incapable of appreciating haute cuisine.
Last night I had a great night out at a concert in a hotel in Benahavis given for the benefit of ADANA by Madeline Bell, a truly great entertainer who has lived in Estepona since the 1970s. The hotel, in cortijo style, was lovely, with a backdrop of mountains, everyone had a great time - a mixture of Spanish/British. French etc. - and when I got home at 2 a.m., slightly pissed but very happy...I ATE A PORK PIE:eek::eek:
And I enjoyed it...it was a gift from a thoughtful person who visited Morrisons in Gib and remembered my fondness for this wonderful British delicacy.
If I wanted to eat burgers, pork pies, hot dogs, pizza, every day of the week it's nobody's business but mine (and my waistline) and I certainly wouldn't welcome any implication that I am somehow 'failing to fully enjoy the experience of being in Spain'.
I'm a British immigrant living in Spain, it's obvious to all and I couldn't pretend otherwise if I wanted to. I live my life my way. Viva y deja vivir, no?:)

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
I'm sure Baldi must have had his tongue pressed very firmly into his cheek when he wrote that.;)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you really think that every British couple who get married move into council housing, Baldy? You seem to look down on the lucky few that do. The sad truth is that there is an acute shortage of social housing or affordable housing of any type in the UK and has been for decades now. How young couples can afford to buy in London or large towns and cities is beyond me. We are paying here in Spain sterling equivalent for a large house with extensive gardens and pool as for a grotty flat in Witney rented by a friend's son - he has to share as he can't afford to pay all the rent from his apprentice's wages.
Spain is the European country with the highest percentage of home owners and second home owners in Europe. Over 75% are owner-occupiers. No doubt many are now regretting their purchase but the fact stands. I've been looking up the cost of homes in Estepona and it's possible to buy a two bed piso for £60k, not the kind of place I'd choose to live in at my age but as a starter it would do fine. It's possible to rent a piso for 200 euros, again, not somewhere I'd choose to live at my stage of life but I wouldn't turn my nose up if it was all I could afford.
There is some social housing in our village and in Estepona but as it's Spanish social housing I suppose it must be superior to any British social housing.;)
I live my life the way I choose and within my means. I see no virtue in being frugal, in choosing to eat in and talk with the neighbours rather than dining out with them in a nice restaurant. I don't want to drive a small car or van - my needs are for an old but comfortable and spacious 4x4x and if I felt I needed a Mercedes S class in my old age I wouldn't feel the slightest twinge of guilt for getting one, as long as it was paid for.
Why, I wonder, is there the need to talk down, to denigrate Britain and everything British simply because we are in Spain? Spain isn't paradise, small towns and villages are no more or less friendly than large towns and cities, going to the beach isn't a crime against good taste - if so, millions of Spaniards would be found guilty - and not all British food is poor quality, tinned, processed or junk. Burger King and MacDonalds restaurants are popular with Spanish people just as they are patronised by Chinese in China, Czechs in Prague, the French in France and so on. Not everyone who eats a burger is incapable of appreciating haute cuisine.
Last night I had a great night out at a concert in a hotel in Benahavis given for the benefit of ADANA by Madeline Bell, a truly great entertainer who has lived in Estepona since the 1970s. The hotel, in cortijo style, was lovely, with a backdrop of mountains, everyone had a great time - a mixture of Spanish/British. French etc. - and when I got home at 2 a.m., slightly pissed but very happy...I ATE A PORK PIE:eek::eek:
And I enjoyed it...it was a gift from a thoughtful person who visited Morrisons in Gib and remembered my fondness for this wonderful British delicacy.
If I wanted to eat burgers, pork pies, hot dogs, pizza, every day of the week it's nobody's business but mine (and my waistline) and I certainly wouldn't welcome any implication that I am somehow 'failing to fully enjoy the experience of being in Spain'.
I'm a British immigrant living in Spain, it's obvious to all and I couldn't pretend otherwise if I wanted to. I live my life my way. Viva y deja vivir, no?:)
Mary, Thank you for your unnecessary irrational rant. I have sent you a PM in reply.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts