Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I would like to share my experience about journey to Melbourne and week after that.

I landed in Melbourne with my family on 28th June. I flew via Qantas-Jet combination from Mumbai and got nearly exhausted with the 15-hour journey.

As usual the packing and other things on checklist are never complete till the last moment. But here are few things I did before leaving India:

1.Activated International Roaming on India number to receive calls and most importantly SMS. Took me less than couple of hours to get it activated.
2.Discarded all the credit cards except couple of useful ones.
3.Went through Travel Card issues. I would suggest you check your travel card balance by using Bank ATM immediately after you get it. This one thing gave me a lot of headaches. Pin didn't work, had to regenerate it, had to deal with usual server issues at bank, so on and so forth.:frusty: So please, ensure your card and pin is working as soon as possible.
4.Gave my flat on rent
5.Bought and packed important stuff like Indian spices, thermals, suit, blazer, winter jackets, cookware, ready-to-eat food, toiletries, documents etc.
6.Made a booking on airbnb for Initial week long stay. I would suggest to stay on AirBnb for a week or two before finalizing permanent accomodation as you may make an error of judgement just by looking pictures of the property. Also, there are lot of fraudsters lurking around, so please be careful.

As it was monsoon and traffic problems on Mumbai-Pune expressway are unpredictable, so decided to leave a day early before actual flight to avoid panic and stay at relative's place.

The flight itself was quite smooth. Even the short break and terminal change at SGP was piece of cake, all thanks to the SkyTrain. Second leg of the journey can be a bit tiring for many, especially infants and kids.

I landed in Melbourne at the dawn with sleepy eyes. The immigration card they gave in the flight has to be filled carefully, if you are unsure about any item just mark yes. It's way better to have item thrown in dustbin than to pay heavy fines because you didn't declare it.

In our case, immigration part took hardly 15 secs, without the officer asking any question. Surely though, we had to go through sniffing dogs ceremony because we had declared food items, but that was hardly a trouble.

I stayed at my friend's place for couple of days initially and later moved to AirBnb accomodation in North Melbourne. Having a friend/relative in the foreign country is really a blessing as you don't have to go through so many hassles. In my case, my friend got me Amaysim sim card even before I landed. That helped a lot as all I had to do after landing was to choose a plan and number which took hardly 10 minutes. Few more things I did in the first week:

1. Registered online for TFN (which is Tax File Number, similar to PAN number in India).
2. Activated my NAB bank account. The welcome letter which you get from NAB contains the branch where you can visit to do the activation. Technically, you can do it from any NAB branch, however your card and pin may take little longer to reach you. I had already informed my branch officer about my arrival, hence my temporary card and pin was ready at the branch. Permanent card and pin is mailed separately to your mailing address in 3-5 working days.
3. Enrolled for Medicare by visiting office on Bourke st. It required just my Passport and Visa letter and took me less than half an hour to do it.
4. Registered with Centerlink, however it has no real benefit unless you have family in Australia.
5. Bought MyKi card and linked my bank account to ensure auto-debit in case balance goes below certain threshold, can be lifesaver!
6. Explored the CBD and nearby areas. The city is quite lively and lovely especially if you are living in CBD. Just like Mumbai, you feel the energy!
7. Enrolled for meetups, a fantastic way to increase your network.
8. Changed the location on LinkedIn to Melbourne.
9. Moved to the permanent apartment in CBD, a bit expensive but perfectly located at the heart of the city.

That's the journey so far and it's quite enticing. The whole focus now is on Job Search.
Hoping for the best!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi friends,

I would like to share my experience about journey to Melbourne and week after that.

I landed in Melbourne with my family on 28th June. I flew via Qantas-Jet combination from Mumbai and got nearly exhausted with the 15-hour journey.

As usual the packing and other things on checklist are never complete till the last moment. But here are few things I did before leaving India:

1.Activated International Roaming on India number to receive calls and most importantly SMS. Took me less than couple of hours to get it activated.
3.Went through Travel Card issues. I would suggest you check your travel card balance by using Bank ATM immediately after you get it. This one thing gave me a lot of headaches. Pin didn't work, had to regenerate it, had to deal with usual server issues at bank, so on and so forth.:frusty: So please, ensure your card and pin is working as soon as possible.
4.Gave my flat on rent
5.Bought and packed important stuff like Indian spices, thermals, suit, blazer, winter jackets, cookware, ready-to-eat food, toiletries, documents etc.
6.Made a booking on airbnb for Initial week long stay. I would suggest to stay on AirBnb for a week or two before finalizing permanent accomodation as you may make an error of judgement just by looking pictures of the property. Also, there are lot of fraudsters lurking around, so please be careful.

As it was monsoon and traffic problems on Mumbai-Pune expressway are unpredictable, so decided to leave a day early before actual flight to avoid panic and stay at relative's place.

The flight itself was quite smooth. Even the short break and terminal change at SGP was piece of cake, all thanks to the SkyTrain. Second leg of the journey can be a bit tiring for many, especially infants and kids.

I landed in Melbourne at the dawn with sleepy eyes. The immigration card they gave in the flight has to be filled carefully, if you are unsure about any item just mark yes. It's way better to have item thrown in dustbin than to pay heavy fines because you didn't declare it.

In our case, immigration part took hardly 15 secs, without the officer asking any question. Surely though, we had to go through sniffing dogs ceremony because we had declared food items, but that was hardly a trouble.

I stayed at my friend's place for couple of days initially and later moved to AirBnb accomodation in North Melbourne. Having a friend/relative in the foreign country is really a blessing as you don't have to go through so many hassles. In my case, my friend got me Amaysim sim card even before I landed. That helped a lot as all I had to do after landing was to choose a plan and number which took hardly 10 minutes. Few more things I did in the first week:

1. Registered online for TFN (which is Tax File Number, similar to PAN number in India).
2. Activated my NAB bank account. The welcome letter which you get from NAB contains the branch where you can visit to do the activation. Technically, you can do it from any NAB branch, however your card and pin may take little longer to reach you. I had already informed my branch officer about my arrival, hence my temporary card and pin was ready at the branch. Permanent card and pin is mailed separately to your mailing address in 3-5 working days.
3. Enrolled for Medicare by visiting office on Bourke st. It required just my Passport and Visa letter and took me less than half an hour to do it.
4. Registered with Centerlink, however it has no real benefit unless you have family in Australia.
5. Bought MyKi card and linked my bank account to ensure auto-debit in case balance goes below certain threshold, can be lifesaver!
6. Explored the CBD and nearby areas. The city is quite lively and lovely especially if you are living in CBD. Just like Mumbai, you feel the energy!
9. Moved to the permanent apartment in CBD, a bit expensive but perfectly located at the heart of the city.

That's the journey so far and it's quite enticing. The whole focus now is on Job Search.
Hoping for the best!
Good one mate. Good luck for your endeavors. Any suggestion on finding a rented apartment? And the cost and charges of Air BnB (I've never used it).

Reactions: tejadai143

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are number of websites to look for shared or private room such as gumtree, flatmates, realestates.com.au, indianroommates and so on. You can check them out, but I would suggest against using FB groups since it is my experience that most of the ads there are fraud.

For AirBnb, cost varies from location to location. In Melbourne it ranged from 35$ to 200$ per night. Usually AirBnb charges some fees approximately 35$, but if you get referred by someone, you get around $32 discount on that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are number of websites to look for shared or private room such as gumtree, flatmates, realestates.com.au, indianroommates and so on. You can check them out, but I would suggest against using FB groups since it is my experience that most of the ads there are fraud.

For AirBnb, cost varies from location to location. In Melbourne it ranged from 35$ to 200$ per night. Usually AirBnb charges some fees approximately 35$, but if you get referred by someone, you get around $32 discount on that.
Thanks. I would be looking for rented house for me and my spouse - so I guess shared rooms/flats is not what I would look for initially. That leaves flatmates and indianroommates out. Will look at gumtree and realestates.

Was it difficult to find the rented apartment you are living in now?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it was not that difficult specially because I was looking for shared accommodation. For private apartment, you may want to keep sufficient amount of time to search for right accommodation. Though it's not difficult, it may take a while.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No it was not that difficult specially because I was looking for shared accommodation. For private apartment, you may want to keep sufficient amount of time to search for right accommodation. Though it's not difficult, it may take a while.
Hi Jack,

I am moving to Melbourne on 27th Aug, the plan as yet is as below:
1. Booked tickets on Emirates (Direct flight)
2. Looking at airbnb to stay for a month (After 3 weeks, my daughter and I would be back and my wife who is the primary applicant would stay on)
3. What bank should I open my account in, My wife's done in nab.

How's the Job search coming along..... how much $$$ is needed for a family of 3 (4yr old daughter).

·
Registered
321 Posts
All the best

ALL THE BEST on you new journey,mate!

Cheers

Hi friends,

4.Gave my flat on rent

Hoping for the best!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great post Jack.Sparrow... :)

Hi friends,

4.Gave my flat on rent

Hoping for the best!

·
Registered
135 Posts
All the best mate. I will be travelling in september to melbourne.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Great post Jack, went through a similar ceremony in Sydney :)

Good point about marking yes in immigration card. Most ignore it and end up paying fines.

On linked try adding as many consultants you can, they may not help you directly for a job but can propagate openings through their likes and such.

All the best for job hunt.

·
Registered
89 Posts
your post is very informative. Thanks for the details.

I see you Enrolled for meetups.. What is it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Jack,

Great post - appreciate you sharing your experience. I am planning to move to Melbourne in April-2016.

Consider the cost of shipping furniture to Australia - any idea if it would be better to buy from there ? - I am moving from Abu Dhabi (UAE).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks Jack,

Great post - appreciate you sharing your experience. I am planning to move to Melbourne in April-2016.

Consider the cost of shipping furniture to Australia - any idea if it would be better to buy from there ? - I am moving from Abu Dhabi (UAE).
It is too expensive to ship from here, unless you have really expensive furniture. I have checked quite a few places ( I am moving in 2 days) and they are in the range of 8-12dhs./Kg

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is too expensive to ship from here, unless you have really expensive furniture. I have checked quite a few places ( I am moving in 2 days) and they are in the range of 8-12dhs./Kg
Thanks for the info tusharvatsa. Anyone here has an idea - approx. how much it costs to buy a 2 bedroom (average) furniture in melbourne.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You may check Super AMart. They have decent furniture with reasonable rates.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
your post is very informative. Thanks for the details.

I see you Enrolled for meetups.. What is it?
Meetup is a website through which you can enrol and attend to various events which happen in and around your area, according to your interests. It helps a lot to meet new people, mingle with them, find people with similar backgrounds and sometimes you may find a job opportunity too. You can register online for meetup here. Many times I have seen recruiters attending such meetup events to find prospective candidates. So it might be a good avenue and it's Free!:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts