Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am searching the information about 1) visa for non EU spouse of EU citizen and 2) carte de sejour after my entry to France.

I am Japanese citizen who is living Germany carrying 2 years resident (also working) permit, my husband is Italian who is based in UK now.
He will start to work in France from July.
I am planning to joint to him from August after I finish my job here in July.

1, VISA : I understood that Visa, itself is as permission to enter to France,
As far as I am Japanese citizen, I basically do not need to apply a visa before I travel.
And additionally my condition is that I already have a resident permit of a Shengen country (Germany).
Therefore I can directly to relocate to France from Germany.
HOWEVER, if i want to work in France, do I need to apply a visa before I travel, and which visa do I need to apply? (Shengen visa? well, it does not seem make big difference from my German residence card, because it is actually for all Shengen country (only working in DE, tho) )

My understanding, non EU spouse of EU citizen will be given same right as spouse of French citizen is given, such as free right to work, duty to learn French, lecture of French history, etc.

2, Carte de sejour : related to question no.1,
My understanding is that I have to apply it after I enter France, but before 2-3months passing.
Ive also read that this carte de sejour 'condition' is different for each people,
most of spouse of French has 1 year, and after 3years, they will have 10years. (all the time with work permit)
And there is another case, spouse of Dutch national got 5years carte de sejour but without working permit.....

I cannot really speak French now, But I would like to find a chance to take this free lesson of French course and take an opportunity to find a job in near future.

If someone can share your experience and finds, it will be big help !
Thank you in advance.
Nao

·
Registered
974 Posts
You are correct about the carte de sejour. Once you enter France within 3 months you need to apply for one - you'll need to show that you and your husband are living together, if he's working you need to show proof of that, etc.

You will be given the same rights as an EU national, so you'll be able to work, but you don't get the same treatment as the non-EU spouse of a French national: so you won't have to go to the immigration office (OFII) for a seminar on life in France, you aren't obliged to learn the language so no free lessons - there might be lessons that you can do for little or perhaps no price, but you'll have to ask at the Mairie (town hall) for yourself.

Not sure in your circumstances when you'll be able to get a 10 yr carte de resident, someone else here might know.

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
This will be brief since I'm doing this from my phone...

#1 You do not need a visa. You have a residence permit for Germany and that allows you to visit France.

#2 You are entitled to the same rights as your EU national spouse - not those of the spouse of a French national. Not a huge difference but your rights derive from those of your spouse.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to Sarah and Bev.

Well, i hope officers in Nice Prefecture will be filled with correct knowledge, as we try to research well about visa, or carte de sejour, etc...
As i wrote on my first post, there is a japanese whose spouse is a Dutch, her carte de sejour was issued without working permit... so I am bit worried.

Health check up, lecture about France, language course, those are I do not have take.
I directly go to the Prefecture and submit the documents.
Well, I guess I anyway will end up to go there several times... :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.