Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An A -Z of Spain.

What does the letter A mean to you, in relation to Spain?

The first things that come to mind to me are
Alicante (city) - only visited a couple of times. Nice enough, but not a place to live for me. Too busy and too sticky hot in the summer.
Aceitunas - I still don't like them!!
Asparagus - the only place I've had fresh asparagus - delicious!!

(As you can see both English and Spanish are valid - or Spanglish if you want!)

·
Administrator
36,846 Posts
An A -Z of Spain.

What does the letter A mean to you, in relation to Spain?

The first things that come to mind to me are
Alicante (city) - only visited a couple of times. Nice enough, but not a place to live for me. Too busy and too sticky hot in the summer.
Aceitunas - I still don't like them!!
Asparagus - the only place I've had fresh asparagus - delicious!!

(As you can see both English and Spanish are valid - or Spanglish if you want!)
nice idea.... I'm moving it to the pub though ;)

Bulls...... fighting, running, embolados....... everyone has their opinion, but there's no denying that it's a national symbol (even if it's not 'official')

·
Registered
15,972 Posts
Back to A for a moment.

Many words and place names begin with Al, which is Arabic for The. My own town, Alcalá, means Al Qalat - the castle. All the foods beginning with Al - almendras, alcachofes, albahaca, albaricoques, etc. were introduced by the Moors.

Just thought I'd drop that in! Presumably Ben has Arabic roots too?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Presumably Ben has Arabic roots too?
According to my son, Ben was the last arabic king who lived in southern Spain, he was responsible for the building of Alhambra???? (my son isnt here so I'm going by memory of what he's told me lol). The name Benalmadena apparently means Bens garden????????????? Also the Moors loved the water in Spain, having not much in their home land, so it was made a valuable commodity

Jo xxxx

G

·
According to my son, Ben was the last arabic king who lived in southern Spain, he was responsible for the building of Alhambra???? (my son isnt here so I'm going by memory of what he's told me lol). The name Benalmadena apparently means Bens garden????????????? Also the Moors loved the water in Spain, having not much in their home land, so it was made a valuable commodity

Jo xxxx
His informal name was Boabdil, which begins with a B, so a worthy entry nonetheless! Full Arabic name was Abu `Abdallah Muhammad XII - which also get`s an entry in the A`s!

Another A is for Acequia - irrigation channels that are everywhere around here. It comes from the Arabic as-sāqiya - yet another A! Without them Andalucia (more A`s!) and many other areas would be quite different places.

Hats off to the Arabs/Moors -they were masters of engineering, maths, astronomy (A!) as well as their stunning works of art.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
What are the rules on this thread?

As "A" is in the title, should we really start a new thread for "B" or do we just start on "B" in this thread when we're bored of "A"?

I note that some got bored of "A" quite quickly...

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

As "A" is in the title, should we really start a new thread for "B" or do we just start on "B" in this thread when we're bored of "A"?

I don't know. I did think new letter new thread cos if not this thread is going to be ginormous, but then again it's more interesting to look back and forth at what people have said.
See what happens, eh?

Jejeje:)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts

The title actually says A to Z so we should be moving on up the alphabet.

We've had As and a couple of Bs, so I'm moving onto Cs Note not Ch which is a separate letter in Spanish

C is for Castillo (in particular Castillo de Locubín), Calor (in the summer), café (mine con leche please), cambio (always with us), campo (for a breath of air), Córdoba...

Next it is Ch...

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The title actually says A to Z so we should be moving on up the alphabet.

We've had As and a couple of Bs, so I'm moving onto Cs Note not Ch which is a separate letter in Spanish

C is for Castillo (in particular Castillo de Locubín), Calor (in the summer), café (mine con leche please), cambio (always with us), campo (for a breath of air), Córdoba...

Next it is Ch...
Not any more Baldilocks. Look at this from the Real Academia
Real Academia Espaola

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyway, if we're going off "A" I'll be the first one to mention beaches, but out of the way, quiet beaches for me, please, and more for walking along than sunbathing and swimming in the sea.
EXAMPLE 1 - Arnuero, Cantabria

EXAMPLE 2 MUNDAKA BIZKAIA/ VIZCAYA

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Birds - Buitres, buzzards, booted eagles & bee-eaters.
Beautiful photos.
Made me remember another "A". A bird that we've seen occasionally in our garden
Abubilla

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.